Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luftwaffe warplane lying off UK coast is intact (WWII)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luftwaffe warplane lying off UK coast is intact (WWII)

Two crewmen were killed so I would rather see them leave the plane alone since it is a war grave.

LONDON (Reuters) – A rare World War Two German bomber, shot down over the English Channel in 1940 and hidden for years by shifting sands at the bottom of the sea, is so well preserved a British museum wants to raise it.

The Dornier 17 -- thought to be world's last known example -- was hit as it took part in the Battle of Britain.

It ditched in the sea just off the Kent coast, southeast England, in an area known as the Goodwin Sands.

The plane came to rest upside-down in 50 feet of water and has become partially visible from time to time as the sands retreated before being buried again.
    Now a high-tech sonar survey undertaken by the Port of London Authority (PLA) has revealed the aircraft to be in a startling state of preservation.

Ian Thirsk, from the RAF Museum at Hendon in London, told the BBC he was "incredulous" when he first heard of its existence and potential preservation.

"This aircraft is a unique aeroplane and it's linked to an iconic event in British history, so its importance cannot be over-emphasized, nationally and internationally," he said.

"It's one of the most significant aeronautical finds of the century."

Known as "the flying pencil," the Dornier 17 was designed as a passenger plane in 1934 and was later converted for military use as a fast bomber, difficult to hit and theoretically able to outpace enemy fighter aircraft.

In all, some 1,700 were produced but they struggled in the war with a limited range and bomb load capability and many were scrapped afterwards.

Striking high-resolution images appear to show that the Goodwin Sands plane suffered only minor damage, to its forward cockpit and observation windows, on impact.

"The bomb bay doors were open, suggesting the crew jettisoned their cargo," said PLA spokesman Martin Garside.

Two of the crew members died on impact, while two others, including the pilot, were taken prisoner and survived the war.

"The fact that it was almost entirely made of aluminum and produced in one piece may have contributed to its preservation," Garside told Reuters.

The plane is still vulnerable to the area's notorious shifting sands and has become the target of recreational divers hoping to salvage souvenirs.

The RAF museum has launched an appeal to raise funds for the lifting operation.

Life is what you make of it

I thought I caught just a glimmer of this on the news the other morning. I agree, if it could be salvaged it would an incredible find, yet if two crewmembers perished in the crash, it needs to be left alone.

Comment

.....or the remains repatriated to Germany for proper interment, so that they may have a soldier's funeral, like they deserve.

Comment

Raise it in a respectful manor, have the remains repatriated. Put it on display with a plaque detailing the events paying tribute to the airman who perished. If it is such a historical piece of equipment than there is no reason it should not be displayed just so long as it is in such a way as to not be distasteful.
        It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

The occupants don't care one way or another. It sounds like a rare piece of history so it makes no sense to ignore it. I'd imagine that their families would rather have their remains too.

Comment

Looks like the remains may have been repatriated already, they did not sink with the plane. Kinda interesting to see that a NCO was the pilot but then again I did hear that many RAF fighter pilots were NCO's too.

Boulton Paul Defiant fighters attacked the Dorniers at 13,000 ft over Deal in Kent before they had reached their intended target. They claimed at least six Dorniers destroyed and one damaged for the loss of three of their own aircraft and two air gunners killed. One of the Dorniers, flown by Feldwebel (Flt Sgt) Willi Effmert, attempted a wheels-up landing on the Goodwin Sands. He touched down safely and the aircraft sank inverted. Effmert and his observer were captured but the other crewmen died and their bodies were washed ashore later.
            http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/...on-project.cfm
            Life is what you make of it

Comment

It would be neat to see it rasied. I might would even go to London to see it.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
              (")_(")
              Copy and paste Bunny into your
              signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5861 users online. 338 members and 5523 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X