Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII vet discovers he’s not a U.S. citizen

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...-a-u-s-citizen

Ninety-five-year-old Leeland Davidson discovered recently that he's not considered a U.S. citizen, despite living nearly 100 years in the country and serving in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

Davidson, from Centralia, Washington, told KOMO News that he discovered he wasn't a U.S. citizen when he was turned down for an enhanced driver's license he needed for a trip to Canada to visit relatives.

"We always figured because he was born to U.S. parents he's automatically a U.S. citizen," said Davidson's daughter, Rose Schoolcraft.

Davidson was born in British Columbia in 1916, but his parents didn't register the birth with the U.S. government to ensure they knew he was a citizen. He checked up on his citizenship before joining the Navy and was told by an inspector at the U.S. Department of Labor Immigration and Naturalization Service he had nothing to worry about. Now he worries that he won't be able to prove his citizenship, because his parents were born in Iowa before local governments started keeping records of birth certificates in 1880. "I want it squared away before I pass away," he says.

Schoolcraft says they tried to dissuade him from pursuing the matter. Employees at the local passport office scared them, telling her father "If he pursued it, (he could) possibly be deported or [be] at risk of losing Social Security."

"We keep telling him, leave it alone, leave it alone, and he won't, like a dog with a bone," Schoolcraft told the Centralia Chronicle. But Davidson says: "I want to get it done before I die." He also still wants to visit his friends and family in Canada. Sen Patty Murray's office is helping him with his application.
    Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
    I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
    Originally posted by weinerdog2000
    as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

The man served his country and wants it in the books that he is a citizen of his nation that he fought for.

It is called integrity and gumption.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
    After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

Pretty much what I thought when I read it.
      Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
      I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
      Originally posted by weinerdog2000
      as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

I hope the red tape can be unraveled, so he can be a citizen of our country. If he was willing to die for it during WWII, I don't see any reason he can die as a proud American.

Comment

Anyone willing to serve the military and not a citizen should become one once their enlistment is up. Perhaps more of the folks from MX could follow suit.
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

This makes me mad. We have millions of illegals in this country who don't do **** for us. Yet this man put his life on this line in a time in need when a majority of the world was against us. If he's not a legal citizen, how does he have a social security number but can't get a drivers license? Who does he pay taxes to that require all forms of identification?
            Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

Originally posted by FromOhio View Post
              This makes me mad. We have millions of illegals in this country who don't do **** for us. Yet this man put his life on this line in a time in need when a majority of the world was against us. If he's not a legal citizen, how does he have a social security number but can't get a drivers license? Who does he pay taxes to that require all forms of identification?

So is he legal or illegal by the letter of the law?
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

I'm also wondering how he got SS and had to have been paying into it. Did no one notice the past 95 years?
                Last edited by OrlandoExp103; 03-27-2011, 04:16 PM.
                When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5463 users online. 317 members and 5146 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X