300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window A\C and break-in risk

Well, its getting to be that time of the year again...its getting warm. I have no central heat & air in my house. When it gets REALLY hot in the summer, I break out the window AC and a window fan.

I usually leave the AC in the window in my living room. I use a window fan at night in the window in my bed room, but remove it before I leave every day.

Since its not practical to remove the window AC every day like I do the fan, is there any way to decrease my chances of getting my window AC kicked in and getting robbed while I'm at work? I live a hundred feet off road but the window AC is visible from the roadway. I have 1 neighbor who watches out for me pretty well when he is home, but is gone a lot.

Ideas? (I figure its probably take the chance, go without ac, or remove it every day...and that's not happening.)

What makes you think someone can't break your window or bust your weak door down?

You do realize that windows, locks and doors are a false sense of security. If someone wants in your house they will get into your house.

Comment

Yeah, I know. I just don't want to entice them by making them think it would be easier than if the window was secured.

Comment

You could've taken advantage of the tax credit to buy a high efficiency central AC unit last year................
        Life is what you make of it

Comment

I concur with the opinion that if someone wants to break in they will. If the Ac isn't there they will go somewhere else. I have seen plenty of supposedly "steel" doors that actually broke in pieces when kicked in.

With that being said, I seem to remember being able to secure window mount AC's fairly well.
          It's been a bit since I have put one in but if I remember right they have metal frames that overlap and go into the window track. You just need some kind of aftermarket security latch to keep the window from going up with the AC in.

I know it's not perfect, good luck with it. I know as a cop I am always paranoid someone will try to break into my house. My TV is padlocked to it's stand, guns are in a 400 pound safe, and I have a security system AND cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabal View Post
            I concur with the opinion that if someone wants to break in they will. If the Ac isn't there they will go somewhere else. I have seen plenty of supposedly "steel" doors that actually broke in pieces when kicked in.

With that being said, I seem to remember being able to secure window mount AC's fairly well.
            It's been a bit since I have put one in but if I remember right they have metal frames that overlap and go into the window track. You just need some kind of aftermarket security latch to keep the window from going up with the AC in.

I know it's not perfect, good luck with it. I know as a cop I am always paranoid someone will try to break into my house. My TV is padlocked to it's stand, guns are in a 400 pound safe, and I have a security system AND cameras.
            or a piece of 2x2 cut to length on each side of the window in the channel.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4164 users online. 262 members and 3902 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X