300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New addition to the family

Hey everyone, this is Duke. He's a 5 year old lab and a new addition to our family. Trained to hunt, but the owner felt bad because he is no longer able to take him out due to work schedule. I am very happy that I'll be able to take him out to the duck blinds and hunt him again.

He weighs 75lbs and loves to run. They had him on a mix of high protein food and regular rice/lamb food. How much should I be feeding him per meal? I plan to feed him twice a day, like the previous owner did, but he didn't say how much he gave him.

Last edited by CPDEMT; 03-22-2011, 06:40 PM.

He is a beauty..................
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Congrats on your new family member. Labs rule!
      Try 2 cups 2X per day to start. That is what I feed both my 5 and 6 year old working males. Adjust from there based on his weight not what he says he wants. Labs will eat way more than they require if you let them.

Comment

+1 to Labs rule! That's a good looking lab you got there CPD.

And another +1 to labs being big fans of eating. They do become obese quickly if you let them.

Mine is a 98 pound yellow lab. We just found out she has a less than normal acting thyroid so she is on medicine for that. Supposed to help her lose weight. I say its from all the food and goodies my mom gives her that made her fat.
        This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I love the English style with the big blocky head, so I could not pass him up.

My last lab was an English style Yellow who died a year and half ago. He was a retired hunter and a fat and happy 105lbs. Finally passed at 12 1/2 years old. I wanted to make sure this one stayed at 75lbs, so I appreciate the responses.

Comment

Beautiful lab! I agree labs are the best, I have a 7 month old yellow female that is 58 pounds - I have cut her down to 2 meals a day from 3.

Comment

Originally posted by CPDEMT View Post
              Thanks for the responses. I love the English style with the big blocky head, so I could not pass him up.

My last lab was an English style Yellow who died a year and half ago. He was a retired hunter and a fat and happy 105lbs. Finally passed at 12 1/2 years old. I wanted to make sure this one stayed at 75lbs, so I appreciate the responses.
              The other thing I do is adjust food based on weather conditions. Here in NC we can get a week of temps over 100. If that is predicted I back down the food and only give them 1 1/2 cups per meal because I know they can't work like normal.

My vet has a scale in his lobby that any client can just walk in and weigh their dog at anytime. I pass the office all the time so I just stop in and put them on the scale.

Comment

Originally posted by 2411Show View Post
                Beautiful lab! I agree labs are the best, I have a 7 month old yellow female that is 58 pounds - I have cut her down to 2 meals a day from 3.
                So where is the pic? That's a GSD in your aviator!

Comment

Yea we get temps upwards of 105 in summer too, but it's dry heat. I'll try to remember that, but he will be swimming in our pool every day... I can already guarantee that. He tried to go swimming and it's 40 degrees and raining right now.

Comment

Originally posted by luvmylabs View Post
                    So where is the pic? That's a GSD in your aviator!
                    The GSD belongs to my Aunt in PA. Here is a pic of Bella Mia.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6484 users online. 340 members and 6144 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X