300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake warning for Pacific Northwest March 19 - 26

A Facebook friend sent me this news clip. I wasn't here in Cali during Loma Prieta and this is the first time I've heard of this geologist but it says he predicted major CA earthquakes in the past with a certain amount of accuracy.

I checked the weather reports, it is a full moon tomorrow, and there were reports of millions of fish washed ashore in Redondo and Acapulco the week of March 8.

Interesting to say the least.

If America get's hit by earthquakes who helps us? All of these years America has stepped up to the plate in every major disaster.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions" -Ronald Reagan

Comment

I was born and raised in SF and they have been predicting the big one since I was a kid. I can remember them saying the Embarcadero Freeway, the one near the ferry building, was going to fall. It was severely damaged in the Loma Prieta and has since been torn down. Loma Prieta was a doozie. They are waiting for the Hayward Fault to go.

So for the past 50 years...they have been saying it's coming.

Before we moved to NY we were sitting on the Hayward Fault....red zone...major destruction...EQ insurance was $1K on top of your homeowners. All you can do is be prepared....when it hits...those who prepare...will survive after the jolt.

The ring of fire is always active. Since we've moved...there has been two EQ and our neighbors are blaming who else??? Us!
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
        No one. You didn't see international aid for when Katrina hit, or when Andrew wiped out a good chunk of Florida in 93. 9/11 happened, no international funding or assistance. Instead, they showed international countries on the news burning our flags and laughing at us . . .
        Pretty amazing, huh?

In fiscal year 2009, the U.S. government allocated the following amounts for aid:

Total economic and military assistance: $44.9 billion

Total military assistance: $11 billion
        Total economic assistance: $33.9 billion

of which, USAID assistance: $11.7 billion

And we are in this much debt.....
        We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions" -Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmy View Post

If America get's hit by earthquakes who helps us? All of these years America has stepped up to the plate in every major disaster.
          I hear Iran and China are jumping to step up and help.

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
          The ring of fire is always active. Since we've moved...there has been two EQ and our neighbors are blaming who else??? Us!
          I blame Bush.
          I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

You didn't see international aid for when Katrina hit,...
            Here's why.

Allies offered $854 million in cash and in oil that was to be sold for cash. But only $40 million has been used so far for disaster victims or reconstruction, according to U.S. officials and contractors. Most of the aid went uncollected, including $400 million worth of oil. Some offers were withdrawn or redirected to private groups such as the Red Cross. The rest has been delayed by red tape and bureaucratic limits on how it can be spent.

They tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
              Here's why.

Allies offered $854 million in cash and in oil that was to be sold for cash. But only $40 million has been used so far for disaster victims or reconstruction, according to U.S. officials and contractors. Most of the aid went uncollected, including $400 million worth of oil. Some offers were withdrawn or redirected to private groups such as the Red Cross. The rest has been delayed by red tape and bureaucratic limits on how it can be spent.

They tried.
              Thanks for that link. Goes to show that we are our weren't enemies at times. Weren't a lot people here yaking about Katrina about how it was their own fault ? They should have prepared better got out etc? Even then we showed how great we were at responding so make sure you prepare....living in AK has taught me to prepare.

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
              I hear Iran and China are jumping to step up and help.
              Funny how we talk smack about China yet do billions of dollars worth of business with them and have allowed them to buy our debt. For some reason I don't see the liberals are to be blamed for that. In fact its not a political problem as its more of class issue I suspect.
              Last edited by That Guy; 03-19-2011, 03:54 PM.
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

No one. You didn't see international aid for when Katrina hit, or when Andrew wiped out a good chunk of Florida in 93. 9/11 happened, no international funding or assistance. Instead, they showed international countries on the news burning our flags and laughing at us . . .
                Canada never helped in Katrina? Canada along with many European countries didn't help in 9/11? My neighbour who works for Hydro One Ontario has gone to Florida twice to help restore electricity after hurricanes.

Comment

If you want to see how this pans out, the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network site tracks earthquakes in close to real time. FWIW, my dog has not run away.

Comment

USGS is faster... http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/

You can click on World, USA or Calee
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by JD_TO View Post
                      Canada never helped in Katrina? Canada along with many European countries didn't help in 9/11? My neighbour who works for Hydro One Ontario has gone to Florida twice to help restore electricity after hurricanes.
                      Yes, but they get paid to do it. Correct me if I am wrong.
                      Last edited by Zimmy; 03-19-2011, 07:47 PM.

Comment

IIRC Mexican marines offered help afetr Katrina hit, some countries offered bulldozer and other equipment to help clean up after 9/11...Just look it up and you'll see...The problem with America is that we're too proud to accept the help, at least the people in DC and the politicians of affected area are too proud...I'm talking about help from foreign countries...

Just b/c it doesn't make the 6 o'clock news, or it's on Fox News or CNN doesn't mean other's didn't offer to help...
                        sigpic

Comment

Speaking of.......has anyone checked out the moon tonight?

Comment

Yes, but they get paid to do it.
                            Yes the employees get payed by their employers what's wrong with that? You talk as if Hydro One sent a bill for their services because they didn't. The Canadian Coast Guard relieved many US Coast Guard units in the Atlantic so they could go to New Orleans and help. I've never heard of a G8 country not offering assistance to a another Country in the wake of a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                              Speaking of.......has anyone checked out the moon tonight?
                              Not yet but I plan to take some photos with my biggest lens if it is in sight. Hopefully, an earthquake won't ruin the shot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5767 users online. 343 members and 5424 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X