300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia inflates its military with blow-up weapons

Reminds me of the tactics the Serbs used during Nato bombings, many of the targets destroyed were actually wooden decoys.

The Russian military is using a cunning plan to deceive the enemy and save money at the same time: inflatable weapons.

They look just like real ones: they are easy to transport and quick to deploy.

You name it, the Russian army is blowing it up: from pretend tanks to entire radar stations.

The decoys are a hundred times cheaper than the real thing, which means Moscow will save a lot of money by blowing up its own weapons.

On the edge of Moscow, two men carry a black duffle bag into a field, then drop it on the ground.

When they open the bag, they take out a large sheet of plastic. It looks like a tent or a tarpaulin.

In fact, it's the Russian army's latest strategic weapon. It doesn't need ammunition - just air.

"I'm proud to be making entire rocket-launchers and tanks for our armed forces. When you finish sewing them and you watch them being filled with air, it's so satisfying”

Lena, seamstress
    On goes the pump, in goes the air and the plastic sheet begins to rise and take shape.

A turret appears, then out pops a long plastic gun barrel. This is an inflatable Russian tank.

State-of-the-art
    When the men pump up their next piece of plastic, this one expands into a S-300 rocket launcher, complete with giant truck and inflatable rockets. It is a cross between a ballistic missile and a bouncy castle.

And waiting to be blown up are inflatable MiG fighter jets - even entire Russian radar stations.

The inflatables are stitched together at a former hot-air balloon factory
    These state-of-the-art stand-ins are among the most advanced military decoys in the world - much lighter, more manageable and mobile than the rubber versions used in World War Two.

What they lack in firepower, they make up for in flexibility: they are light and can be deployed quickly to deceive the enemy.

They are also very realistic. They are made of a special material that tricks enemy radar and thermal imaging into thinking they are real weapons.

The inflatables are stitched together at a former hot-air balloon factory.

"I'm proud to be making entire rocket-launchers and tanks for our armed forces," says Lena, who is stitching a surface-to-air missile system.

"When you finish sewing them and you watch them being filled with air, it's so satisfying."
    Life is what you make of it

A vast amount of "fake weapons" were also deployed during WWII to throw off enemy intel.

Comment

Well one thing is for sure when it comes to Russian submarines, if it floats then it must be fake. If it sinks to the bottom, its a real one.

Comment

Decoy's have been used as long as military forces have taken to the field
        Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
          A vast amount of "fake weapons" were also deployed during WWII to throw off enemy intel.
          Yep. We did that with Operation Quicksilver during WWII to throw the German's off the scent of the Normandy landings.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

bombs away..

hell, it's raining pins !! my dear wife got plenty of pins.
            one day, she was busy sewing my old carthall coveralls. we had a tiff and she threatened to stick pin and leave em in my coveralls bums. so i apologized.
            (of course, i double checked when she's not looking.)
            break censorship chains

Comment

I'd like to imagine their enemy's reaction when they hit one of those pieces of equipment, and....

"pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffft"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2843 users online. 142 members and 2701 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X