X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Green
    replied
    Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
    Running your car low on fuel will also destroy your fuel pump faster. Car manufacturers design them to be cooled by the fuel surrounding it. If you're always running low, expect it to burn out.
    I think it already has. Plus it's a super gas guzzler. I only get like 12 miles a gallon.

Originally posted by mvill203 View Post
    Ouch!!.....Swear by my AAA. Every year it pays for itself in one way or another.

Quick question.....If the UHP were to be notified about the vehicle and situation, would that have had any affect on the outcome of Mr. Green's scenario?
    Yeah in at least one of two ways.
    1. Either they would have sent out an emergency management vehicle with a non sworn member of the Department of Public Safety and brought me some gas, or

2. They would have warned me that if I left it there then it was subject to immediate tow.

Either one of those would have saved me all the trouble, money and aggravation.
    Last edited by Mr. Green; 03-17-2011, 06:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mvill203
    replied
    Ouch!!.....Swear by my AAA. Every year it pays for itself in one way or another.

Quick question.....If the UHP were to be notified about the vehicle and situation, would that have had any affect on the outcome of Mr. Green's scenario?

Leave a comment:

• avalon42
    replied
    post deleted
    Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 07:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NJLAWMAN214
    replied
    $270.00 does suck brother.

Leave a comment:

• MD11pilot
    replied
    That's why I never let the tank fall below half unless its a roadtrip, on a trip from Chicago to Hot Springs AR I was able to make it with only one fuel stop in southern Illinois.

Leave a comment:

• Crimy
    replied
    I just wish Texas would pass a traffic law about running out of gas on a public roadway. I would make the city rich on the IH 20 corridor.

Leave a comment:

• DACP
    replied
    Wow, I know the price of gas here is rather high, but $270+ for some gas, man that has to hurt the wallet bad. Not to all insult to injury, but around here you are lucky, the vehicles seem to sit on the road until nature takes over and they go back to the raw elements they were made from.

Leave a comment:

• Chaplain Keppy
    replied
    You are reminding me of an aggravating one my husband experienced.

The day before we were married, we were doing an airport run to pick up family-- and we drove both our cars, since we had so many people coming in. We were getting off of a highway, still on the ramp, when his engine died. I don't remember the details, anymore, but I do remember we had to do a lot of calling around to figure out which agency in which community had jurisdiction, where it had been towed, yada, yada, yada.

By the time we got to the yard where the car had been towed, it had been broken into, and the stereo stolen. That was the frosting on the cake. Edited to add: the tow yard didn't want to take responsibility because they said it could have happened on the ramp-- and it could have, we had no way to know where it happened.

He still has a word or two to spare when we pass that exit, fifteen years later.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Green
    replied
    Yeah I was super far off the side of the road too. At least 15 yards or so. I wasn't even on the shoulder really even. "Technically" I was considered on the shoulder on the left side of the road and that's why I was towed, but I even pulled around the other side of one of those big concrete dividers. For someone to have hit me they literally would have to have been trying to do so. I thought I was in a super safe spot. But the law is the law son! lol The funny thing is that if I would have called the Highway Patrol, they would have sent out an emergency management vehicle with some gas and had me on my way. Kind of like AAA provided by the state. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Prov1x
    replied
    Geez...we don't tow for 7days unless it's a hazard.

Leave a comment:

• HI629
    replied
    Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
    If you have Verizon (cell) they have a AAA service for 5.00 a month. Tow, Gas, etc all covered. If gas hits 5.00 dollars a gallon I may gall them every month for a fill up lol jk

Well worth it
    Dunno if you're kidding or not, but read the fine print in the service contract. I got stuck because I called them 3 times in a year (according to my contract it's an actual year from the date you sign up, not the "calendar year" the sales rep told me) and they said that the 4th call would cost me $50 or something like that. Tows are limited as well. They give you a set amount of miles free of charge, then there's a per mile fee in excess of the "free" miles. I've since terminated my cell phone roadside assistance and purchased AAA. The cost for AAA is a little less due to some local discounts, and the benefits are a little better.

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    If you have Verizon (cell) they have a AAA service for 5.00 a month. Tow, Gas, etc all covered. If gas hits 5.00 dollars a gallon I may gall them every month for a fill up lol jk

Well worth it

Leave a comment:

• LINY
    replied
    Well, I bet you won't ever let your gas tank go below half now, lol.

Leave a comment:

• cbr600_kitty
    replied
    Around here it's you have up to a certain amount of time (like 48 hours). Not you have 48 hours. Can be towed at any time.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Green
    replied
    Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    So did you break down or run out of gas???
    My dumb arse ran out of gas lol. And when all was said and done it was only $270.50...still way to much to pay for this dumb situation. I thought it was gonna be almost $500 because the tow company quoted me a pretty high price and then said that I had to pay the state for the release document. The release ended up being free and the tow fees ended up being less then what the guy on the phone quoted. Still a little peeved tho. I am having to pick up a bunch of extra shifts and work some doubles now.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4934 users online. 290 members and 4644 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X