• Show
Clear All

• Kid Fights Back Against Bully

http://deadspin.com/#!5781702
    Yes
    90.41%
    No
    9.59%
    Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand...

My response to the school administrator would be: If I punched you in the mouth right now, what would you do?

It is absolutely repulsive how far this issue has slid. I don't think I could punish anyone in good conscience for simply standing up and defending themselves. One of the comments on the website made a good point by saying how the bullied kid simply neutralized the threat. Once the attacker was on the ground, the bigger kid stopped the attack and showed amazing restraint.
    Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand...

Comment

When I was in school, the policy seemed to be don't fight back against bullies, tell the teachers/administrators, who will promptly do nothing.

Comment

Suspend them both... longer suspension to the kid who through the punch. What's the history of bullying between Napoleon before he tossed the first punch at the kid twice his size? Is it bullying because the title of the video says so?
        Look at the bigger kids body language. He didn't appear scared before or after the first punch. Annoyed maybe.

The bigger kid got punched and showed good restraint after he ensured the little Nat didn't punch him again. This is one of those hard ones if you're a school administrator. On one hand you have to back your schools "no tolerance" for fighting. On the other hand, if this kid WAS "bullied" you definitely have to enforce a zero tolerance for bullying.

This video was not in the US of A I noticed.
        Last edited by BigSky; 03-15-2011, 04:40 AM.

Comment

^^^^^^^

Let me guess your from Washington State and a Politician? lol jk You realize you gave a liberal answer without truly picking a side.. LMAO

The bigger kid got punched and showed good restraint after he ensured the little Nat didn't punch him again. This is one of those hard ones if you're a school administrator. On one hand you have to back your schools "no tolerance" for fighting. On the other hand, if this kid WAS "bullied" you definitely have to enforce a zero tolerance for bullying.

This video was not in the US of A I noticed
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Why is this suddenly such a problem? Is it the fact that boys are taught to be wimps these days? I had experience with a few bullies and handled it after school, problem solved! Bullies get revealed for what they are and learn to stand down. That's probably gone that way since the dawn of man. By not fighting back or calling their bluff, the bully never learns.

Heck, when we were kids even dads got involved, seen more than one dad get a ham sandwich when he opened the door.

Comment

I laughed my arse off when that little twerp tried to get up after being body slammed and he couldn't walk straight!!! Hahahahaha, the little punk had it coming! I also got a kick out of how he started bouncing all over the place like a pogo stick, lol. Don't suspend either of them. Give the bigger kid a high 5 and a piece of cake and then smack the little punk one more time just for good measure and tell him to stop being a little shart head.

I had to watch it again lol.
              The only thing I hear when you say anything is "blah blah blah I'm a dirty whore".

Originally posted by Michigan
              I don't want to sound gay...

But I'd do him.
              Do you like airplanes and aviation??JOIN http://forums.officer.com/forums/group.php?groupid=20

My goal is to have the longest most annoying signature line ever.

Comment

The whole system is against fighting back...Now if you fight back chances are the bully will just go and get some of his friends to jump you, if you're armed and caught then you'll be in trouble, especially in school...The consequences aren't worth it, unless the bully puts his hand on you or your life is at risk, to fight back...Expulsion, jail time, drama with the the bully and his-her people...Today's bully is not like yesteryear's bully, yes, they're still cowards, but they don't seem to learn or want to learn...Even with the hard-knocks...Also, chances are the bully's family/friends are trash, so don't expect any reasonable solution to a problem...

If the bully fights and destroyes then the world is fine and everything is ok, but if the victim fights back then the victim is too violent, he/she needs medication, there something wrong with the person who fought back, he/she needs jail time, there something wrong with society, and so on and so on...
                sigpic

Comment

Bullies know how to bully: When no teachers are looking. I was picked on in 5th grade and I went and told the teacher like I had been told to do and was given the answer, "If I didn't see it, it didn't happen." So the bullying continued, I told again, and was once again told to stop bothering the teacher unless I wanted to get in trouble. I brought witnesses; the teacher told us all that she wouldn't do anything. My parents later complained. Teacher told them that maybe I should just stop doing whatever it was that was provoking the bullying. Finally I fought back when the kid got physical. Luckily, another teacher saw it, pulled us apart, but no one got in trouble. The "don't fight back," mentality they teach does NOT work.

My philosophy is turn the other cheek, don't take anything said personally. Don't bully back. But "turn the other cheek" never means roll over and let yourself be abused. The bully gets hands on, you put them down quickly. I won't compromise my safety in order to not get suspended.
                  "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                  -Chris Rock

Comment

I wouldn't "fight" the suspension. However, I would congratulate my kid for sticking up for himself and using reasonable force. Bottom line he broke the school rules, the moral of the story I suppose would be some things are worth breaking the rules for...
                    Certified troll.

Comment

The bully was hitting the kid in the face multiple times. I know the correct thing to do for the kid being bullied would have been to report the incident to a teacher or principle but I think that the kid being bullied exercised appropriate action. Bullying is a big problem this day in age. I fortunately was never bullied in school and never bullied others but I have a younger sister who is quite obese for her age and it makes me sad to think that she is most likely being bullied because of her weight just like young Casey in the video was being bullied. Kids are very mean and I know that if you are bigger than you should be for your age, things can only go one of two ways. 1) Either you are the overweight kid that everyone picks on and teases or 2) You are the cool overweight kid that everyone loves and hangs out with.
                      Last edited by Super_HKS; 03-15-2011, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Ok, I'll be honest when the video first started up I thought the bigger kid was the bully and not the victim.

Good for that kid for standing up for himself and not taking anymore of that kids bullying.
                        This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

I'd have my kid take the suspension, but it'd would be a nice week off from school for him.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                            Why is this suddenly such a problem?
                            It's not new...it's just that now, thanks to technology, school teachers & admin can no longer deny it or feign ignorance.
                            Stupidity should be a felony so that they lose the right to vote.

Comment

That kid did what was right in his eyes. If a little sh** came up to me and started punching me and dancing around acting like he knew what he was doing and I was 100 lbs more than him, I would do the same exact thing. There's obviously no talking your way out of situations like that with people that are so... "messed up", I like to call it. Pick him up, throw his scrawny *** down, and be on your way - he won't mess with that kid again. I'm with the fella who said "take the suspension, but it'll be a nice week off". The twisted school systems these days would barrage you with "your student is dangerous, he is violent and a threat, actions like that will not be tolerated" and it would be useless to fight it.
                              Last edited by jjbledsoe; 03-15-2011, 05:15 PM.
                              Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7490 users online. 373 members and 7117 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X