300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP, MA2 Michael A. Monsoor

This is kinda "Political," but I posted it here anyway.
    Okay, I know MA2 (SEAL) Monsoor was KIA on 29 SEP 2006, and he was commemorated in at least one other thread on O.com (2008). A multi-forwarded email about his being awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on that day in Iraq has apparently been going around since at least 2008. That email is factual, except for listing his rate as "EOD2" instead of MA2.
    <http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/monsoor.asp>

Today, I received a different version of the forward-of-a-forward-of-a-forward, and I guess somebody thought they should screw with the text of the original message, and the facts:
    Every Navy Seal

(45 To Be Exact)

That Mike Monsoor Saved That Day Was Scattered Through-Out The Column!

Yeah, the font is at least that large, I guess because people who use too many CAPS and too many exclamation points also feel some deviant need to use large fonts in everything when they're happily screwing with the facts. I also suspect they "touch themselves" while they type, but maybe that's just one reader's opinion.

MA2 Monsoor gave his life to save two comrades. That is heroic enough for me, and I imagine most Americans would agree. So why did someone think they had to make the story "better" than the truth? Why should ***hats who do such "editing" even be allowed to own a computer?
    I guess we shouldn't expect much from someone who doesn't know seals (Otariidae and Phocidae) from SEALs (Naval Special Warfare types).

FMI: <http://www.navy.mil/moh/monsoor>

Yeah, it's kind of a "little thing," but it burns my butt that somebody couldn't just let the facts speak for themselves. I have an old buddy who's retired Navy, and I bet he'd help me "kaboom" (his term for "swirlie," AKA "bogwashing" or "dunnyflushing") the responsible forwarder, if we ever found them.
    What say you?
    --
    Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
    Not Yet Visited: 16
    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

It's one of the reasons I like snopes so much, and I have po'd a few people when I've replied all with the correct information in an attempt to set the record straight.
      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

It should be noted that Monsoor was the nephew of a retired LASD Deputy.. I worked the same station with his uncle for 10 years.....
        Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
          It's one of the reasons I like snopes so much, and I have po'd a few people when I've replied all with the correct information in an attempt to set the record straight.
          Yep, been there, done that. And a week or so later, the same person(s) send you another "IF YOU CARE, SEND THIS TO THE ENTIRE ON-LINE WORLD!!!!!!" special . . .
          --

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
            It should be noted that Monsoor was the nephew of a retired LASD Deputy.. I worked the same station with his uncle for 10 years.....
            Thanks for the reminder. In the 2008 thread, I saw a couple of mentions of Monsoor having LE family. One of those replies was probably yours. The young man definitely came from good stock.
            His loss probably also deprived some community of a good future deputy/officer.

Another reason it torqued me off so much that someone "embellished" the email the way they did.
            The country is overrun with idiots, but in America, we don't "cull the herd."
            --

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3785 users online. 188 members and 3597 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X