Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only watch college football because the games seem a lot better and the players aren't as showy (most of the time).

As for the NFL, I think there should be either a pay cap or everyone on the team should get the same. Make it a set amount for each year of experience at the pro level, regardless of position, with bonuses to the starters/ first string if the owner wants. Of that pay, a percentage should go to a retirement account, with the team also kicking some in. I understand these guys putting on a lot of gear and get knocked around a lot, but then again, so do we and for a loooooot less.
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Considering that the NFL generates $9 billion per year in revenue, it will be another blow for the economy.

Maybe Michael Moore can enslave the owners and players to ensure that they generate the revenue.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by brad601 View Post
        Might be closer than you think. Remember the movie 2012 this is probably an explanation why all the ritch team owners will be nowhere to be found when the world goes to hell. They'll be on a boat laughing like bastards.

Or the rockstar players and owners could use a lesson in humility maybe a season off and they will learn to play for what they get and know its all about the fans not themselves.
        LOL..I didn't see the movie yet. I know, I know. It's on the list.

All I can see is the fans losing out what ever the outcome. The players will get what they want and the NFL will make us pay for more games. Then they can all stick it!

World_So_Cold

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyDiver View Post
          Compensated for the extra work? What work? They catch a ball. They make millions of dollars a year. They want more money to play two more games? Are you serious? How many more million do they want for an additional 6 hours of their lives? Screw that!

I understand their bodies take a beating playing these games but c'mon... it's not like they're making 10 bucks an hour and being refused overtime pay... it's football... something they're supposed to love.

As for retirement benefits, give me a break. If you can't set up a decent 401k or make a few investments with your multi-million dollar income, you're an idiot. People retire after working 15 dollar an hour jobs with no pension programs. Sure, they may not bathe in the luxurious conditions they feel they're entitled to, but not one of them should ever need to stand in line for a welfare check.

They're greedy... nothing more. They're screwing the fans cause they're selfish. F'm. I prefer MMA and Hockey anyhow.
          By that logic, the team owners don't exactly work hard either. Sign a couple contracts, bribe a politician to fund the stadium, send some luxury suite tickets over to the local megacorporation to get some sponsorship money out of them, head off in the company Gulfstream to Bermuda for lunch, fly back and cry poormouth to the players.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Bring back the XFL. Those guys were just happy to play for pennies.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
              Most in the league (lineman, offense & Defense + linebackers and second string running backs make maybe 200,000 + a year. Majority don't make that big money you see on ESPN. Trust me when I tell you this, and my experience is playing football from pee wee- and 2 years of college ball. You are never trained for the blows and impact. I have the back and knee of a 65 year old with the amount of arthritis in my body. Those guys at that level are seriously messed up for life after 4 years. Trust me on this and 200,000 for 4-5 years does not get you a comfortable living.

I'm dissapointed but I'm with the players (non stars and lineman) they are the backbone that make the star running backs and QB look so good and get the fat payday.

I do understand this but there are many sports and non sports in which the low end of the pay scale is not 200K. Yes I understand the career expectancy is only about 4 or 5 years but heck how many jobs do you make about a million dollars in that amount of time? Also this is why they are suppose to study while in college (on that free scholarship) so that they can still a job when their careers are over. Just my thoughts.
              Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

IMO, NHL got screwed by their lockout. The 2003-2004 season/playoffs/stanley cup was all broadcast on ESPN or ESPN 2. After the lockout, most of the games weren't even shown - and the rest were on the Versus channel. Yes, football is more popular, and probably isn't faced with the same fate, but I feel like hockey's popularity has taken a dip after the l/o.

However, the good news -

The broncos will not lose any games next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                  Eff them. Buncha overpaid ninnies...
                  That's "NANNIES"

While I'll miss NFL games, so long as there's NCAA and NHL, I could give a ratz ***.
                  sigpic
                  Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                  And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Also this is why they are suppose to study while in college (on that free scholarship) so that they can still a job when their careers are over. Just my thoughts.
                    Very true, and you will get no argument from me. I feel it's important that they are covered medically or financially if their injuries take away from their ability to earn. Again I am talking about the lineman 2nd string player etc.
                    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by AK_Alex View Post
                      IMO, NHL got screwed by their lockout. The 2003-2004 season/playoffs/stanley cup was all broadcast on ESPN or ESPN 2. After the lockout, most of the games weren't even shown - and the rest were on the Versus channel. Yes, football is more popular, and probably isn't faced with the same fate, but I feel like hockey's popularity has taken a dip after the l/o.

However, the good news -

The broncos will not lose any games next season.
                      You can blame Gary Bettman for that. somehow, that retard keeps his job.
                      I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Hockey just doesn't show well on TV for the casual fan. I was spoiled watching it live and when I try to watch is on TV it would bore me if I didn't know where to look for plays etc.
                        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiu-Jitsu Cop View Post
                          I do understand this but there are many sports and non sports in which the low end of the pay scale is not 200K. Yes I understand the career expectancy is only about 4 or 5 years but heck how many jobs do you make about a million dollars in that amount of time? Also this is why they are suppose to study while in college (on that free scholarship) so that they can still a job when their careers are over. Just my thoughts.
                          In college they're just revenue generators...They didn't get the scholorships b/c of their grades, some teachers pass the good players so they can play....I'm not saying ALL of them are like that but some are....Also once they're in school they have to stay in shape, they don't even have time to work so they can buy stuff for themselves...They have to be careful about what they get for free and from whom...IDK, after watching ESPN's 30 for 30 special they did on the University of Miami my prespective on college football changed a little...

Also when you're a good player and you're being hyped on ESPN, the internet sports blogs and sites then it can be distracting...When all you hear is "you're going to the NFL" it may seem overwelming...When a star college player is a bust he gets treated like yesterdays trash...

If you have time check it out...

Last edited by Southflaguy; 03-15-2011, 09:58 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4752 users online. 279 members and 4473 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X