300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No football next year?!...BOO!

Looks like the lock-out is going to happen...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfllabor

Players’ union decertifies as talks break down

By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Pro Football Writer

WASHINGTON (AP)—The NFL players’ union has decertified, making the league’s first work stoppage since 1987 a near-certainty.

After 16 days of mediated talks with the NFL, the sides could not reach agreement on a new deal. The current one expires at the end of Friday, and the league could lock out its players.

By decertifying, the union has cleared the way for individual players to file antitrust lawsuits against the NFL, which opted out of the CBA in 2008. It has renounced its right to represent the players in contract bargaining.

The CBA was due to expire a week ago and was extended twice.

The union’s latest move sets the stage for a lengthy court fight that could potentially threaten the 2011 season.
    sigpic

That's just GREAT
    Yeah. That would go poorly. Like, on the Scale of Fail, somewhere between "Titanic" and "Chernobyl."
    --Squirrel

Comment

This sucks....next to MMA, football is the only sport I watch.
      Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

We have still have college football next year thankfully. Sure hope they get it worked out as sunday just won't be the same.

Comment

It seemed to me that when the owners opted out of the then current CBA two years ago, and effectively sete in motion the act of waiting until the end of the 2010 season to begin "serious" negotiations, that this has been a long time coming.

I'm a long way from standing behind the NFLPA as a fan and villanizing the owners, but I didn't have much hope when the talks began, and figured the so called extensions were a huge waste of time.

Sad for the millions of fans

Comment

The world is coming to an end.

World_So_Cold

Comment

As long as soccer and hockey keeps going I'm happy. Football has too many pauses between each play.
              Life is what you make of it

Comment

Jesus. Just what those thugs need. MORE money!

Comment

If they don't have a season I will stop watching when it does start up again. Thats what killed Baseball for me years ago. I am perfectly fine with Hockey and MMA.
                  The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I don't mind the players getting all they can.

However, if a season is missed due to everyone not being able to agree on a contract, it will probably be years and years before I go to a game again.

Comment

I remember the baseball strike...I got free tickets at the library to go see the Florida Marlins, only to be disappointed by the strike...For those that like hockey how come their stike didn't change your outlook on the game?...

I still love baseball, season is coming up and I can't wait...

Maybe this is time for the BCS to fix the way they pick the 2 teams for the championship...
                      sigpic

Comment

The hockey strike didn't make me happy. But those guys aren't pulling near the coin that the other three are. Plus hockey rocks.
                        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
                          The hockey strike didn't make me happy. But those guys aren't pulling near the coin that the other three are. Plus hockey rocks.
                          Well the thing about hockey is that some of the best players aren't American, and most can go back to thier country and play...I don't know if they'll make as much, but they'll still be playing...With baseball and football all the best players play here...The only other places that baseball players can go is Latin America or Japan, football players are out of luck, I don't think other countries play football...Maybe some football players would make good rugby players...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LE_Hopeful23 View Post
                            Jesus. Just what those thugs need. MORE money!
                            It's not just the money. I am on the players side for the most part. The players main gripes are

-Better retirement benefits. These guys beat up there bodies for x amount of years and then when they retire they do not receive the proper benefits from the years of stress that they put on there bodies. Believe it or not, not everyone in the NFL gets to live like a king during retirement.

-Not being compensated for the proposed 18 game schedule. The owners want to add two games, but do not want to pay the players more for the extra work.

-Revenue sharing. The owners want to cut some 18 percent from the players revenue share from what I have heard.
                            This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

I wonder if we could get the NCAA to move some games to Sunday so I can still get my football fix.

I wonder what the TV contracts say about a strike, the league could loose billions, slap that in the owners face and we may get some resolution.
                              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3387 users online. 176 members and 3211 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X