Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book recommendations - I got three, what you got?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book recommendations - I got three, what you got?

For my last entry (until Easter, that is) I have finished in the last two weeks:

Don't Mind If I Do - The autobiography of the actor George Hamilton. Interesting, light-hearted, downright funny in places. It might help if you're over 50, though, as most anyone younger would have no clue as to who he or many of the other 60's & 70's actors were.

Dead or Alive - Tom Clancy (with Grant Blackwood) - A continuation of the Ryan saga which involves the hunt for an Osama Bin Ladin type character. Mr. Clark & Ding Chavez are back, too, recently freed from their Rainbow Six duties. Seems there's a new POTUS who doesn't like the military, wants to give terrorists rights and try them in civilian courts...sounds vaguely familiar.

About to be finished:

Unbroken - by Laura Hillenbrand (she also wrote Seabiscuit) - The TRUE story of USC track star and 1936 U.S. Olympic runner Louis Zamperini. He ended up as a bombardier in the Pacific in WWII and was captured. He was beaten, starved, and tortured beyond what I think any mere mortal like myself could handle. He survived, experienced PTSD, and was saved by....(well, you have to read it).

To top it off, Zamparini is 94 years-old and still alive, promoting Hillenbrand's book. Incredible story, again, about the greatest generation. I just read that, by the end of the war, some 400 amateur, professional, and colligiate athletes were killed in action...nineteen pro football players, five American league baseball players, and eleven pro golfers...can anyone, here, imagine the current crop of pampered sports stars stepping up like that? There are so few Pat Tillmans, today. Even fewer Louis Zamperinis.
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

The Lone Survivor.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
      The Lone Survivor.

M-11
      Got it for Christmas, what, two ago? Still recommend it!
      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I just picked up a book at a used bookstore for like 2 bucks. It looked decent. I started reading it and just could NOT put it down. It is a sad, incredible, and absolutely inspiring story about the 9 month "rescue", recovery, and clean-up mission at the WTC following the attacks. Everyone knows the story about what happened but not many know the story about what it took to "clean up afterwards".

It's called Closure and it's by Lt. Wiliiam Keegan Jr.

I highly reccomend it.
        Everybody counts or no one counts.
        -Harry Bosch

Some of you may remember that in my early days I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish things.
        -Ronald Reagan

Comment

I've recently gotten into Vince Flynn books. His writing is very easy to read, but still intelligent and very entertaining. He's the next Tom Clancy.

I just finished Term Limits, and then the rest of his books are about a Clandestine CIA agent and friends. I'm about 3 books deep into the series.

Comment

Lee Child's Jack Reacher series.

Just stumbled on a very, very funny author - Tim Dorsey. I've only read Florida Roadkill but I was dying from laughter.
            If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

A Fighter's Heart - Sam Sheridan.............if you like MMA or martial arts this book is a must read.

One Second After - William R. Forstchen....................good fiction about life after an EMP attack in the world.
              Good.........bad..........I'm the guy with the gun - Army of Darknesssigpic

Comment

I've been reading Wilbur Smith's series about South Africa. If you are even the least bit interested in history/South Africa/adventure books, you owe it to yourself to pick up When the Lion Feeds. It's the first of the series, and I guarantee you that you'll keep going after that one. I'm only three books in now (The Sound of Thunder and A Sparrow Falls beimg the next ones). So far, I've gone through the gold rush, the Boer Wars, and World War I. It's an epic series.

There's also a very good one (sorry, can't remember the author) called The Company that's about a bunch of former soldiers who start a colony on a deserted island. It's highly-entertaining.
                Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
                Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

Comment

The Good Thief

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Thief-Han.../dp/0385337450

I also love the Flavia de Luce series. They are written more for tween/teens, but much like Harry Potter, they are smart and funny with dark undertones. Flavia is an amateur detective who also studies poisons.

http://www.flaviadeluce.com/
                  Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Killing Pablo - Mark Bowdin
                    Awesome little history about Columbia taking care of a Cartel leader with a little help from the US Army Special Forces Operational Detatchment Delta.

Rainbow 6 - Tom Clancy
                    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

For the Marines or military minded folks out there, I just finished "The Last Stand of Fox Company". It is the true story of how a company of Marines (248) held off 10,000 Chinese troops for 5 days during the Korean War. Makes almost any day suddenly seem much better.

Comment

Originally posted by USMC Ret. View Post
                        For the Marines or military minded folks out there, I just finished "The Last Stand of Fox Company". It is the true story of how a company of Marines (248) held off 10,000 Chinese troops for 5 days during the Korean War. Makes almost any day suddenly seem much better.
                        I'll have to read that. My Granddad was a Marine in that war. I got stationed on the South Side of the DMZ back in '03 at Camp Greaves. It was a humbeling experience walking through the still battle scarred landscape knowing that my kin spilled blood and had their blood spilt on the same ground. Was a much greater generation than mine.
                        Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

Just picked up some Brad Thor books. Ex-seal saving the US from Terrorists.
                          "You can't handcuff me, I'm a college graduate!"
                          (Smurfette)

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                            For my last entry (until Easter, that is) I have finished in the last two weeks:

Don't Mind If I Do - The autobiography of the actor George Hamilton. Interesting, light-hearted, downright funny in places. It might help if you're over 50, though, as most anyone younger would have no clue as to who he or many of the other 60's & 70's actors were.

Dead or Alive - Tom Clancy (with Grant Blackwood) - A continuation of the Ryan saga which involves the hunt for an Osama Bin Ladin type character. Mr. Clark & Ding Chavez are back, too, recently freed from their Rainbow Six duties. Seems there's a new POTUS who doesn't like the military, wants to give terrorists rights and try them in civilian courts...sounds vaguely familiar.

About to be finished:

Unbroken - by Laura Hillenbrand (she also wrote Seabiscuit) - The TRUE story of USC track star and 1936 U.S. Olympic runner Louis Zamperini. He ended up as a bombardier in the Pacific in WWII and was captured. He was beaten, starved, and tortured beyond what I think any mere mortal like myself could handle. He survived, experienced PTSD, and was saved by....(well, you have to read it).

To top it off, Zamparini is 94 years-old and still alive, promoting Hillenbrand's book. Incredible story, again, about the greatest generation. I just read that, by the end of the war, some 400 amateur, professional, and colligiate athletes were killed in action...nineteen pro football players, five American league baseball players, and eleven pro golfers...can anyone, here, imagine the current crop of pampered sports stars stepping up like that? There are so few Pat Tillmans, today. Even fewer Louis Zamperinis.
                            Chief, Unbroken, just finished the book, what a man he was. What a brave bunch of men they all were! It was a great read and have lent it to a friend to read.

Comment

I would recommend " The Kennedy Detail" by Gerald Blain who was a Secret Service agent for President Kennedy.. Its a great book about detailing the life of the agents that were assigned to President Kennedy and his family. I may be a little biased as my son designed his website for the book and was acknowledged in his book for the work he did..
                              Retired LASD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2904 users online. 170 members and 2734 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X