X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTShooter
    replied
    Originally posted by just joe View Post
    Where does it say the school apologized for the slave trade?
    They apologized for the mock slave trade they held in the class............................................. .................................................. ...

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    We're going to just keep ignoring history until we raise of generation of pansies that will be easily cowed by the next Adolf Hitler.
    That my friend is where I was going with my post. I agree with you 100%

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    It's amazing how times have changed. When I was in high school, the biggest fund raiser of the year was the Senior Slave Auction.

This is a great example of how we've allowed our country to deteriorate to the point that we're doomed. The school puts on a historically accurate demonstration to teach kids the horrors of the slave trade and from the quotes of the students, it worked. Instead, someone got a little offended and now we're going to ignore an event of major historical significance that we should want are kids to know about.

We're going to just keep ignoring history until we raise of generation of pansies that will be easily cowed by the next Adolf Hitler.

Leave a comment:

• cbr600_kitty
    replied
    Originally posted by just joe View Post
    Gahanna is a nice suburb that has income, education and property values well above the state average. It will be interesting to see where this goes.
    Guess I have no idea what this statement has to do with it.....brainless people are everywhere "nice suburb" and "income" included. Secondly, it's not too hard to have property values above the state average up there.....

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    Sad thing is we are setting our future generation up for failure. I will explain my thoughts.

As a kid I remember sitting on a bench or not being selected to participate on the base ball team and football team. I cried and felt the disappointment early on. My father told me to practice more and try harder. I got on the teams and played football in college. (Lack of true talent kept me out of the NFL lol)

I won and I have lost against teams in my child hood. I felt both emotions from winning to losing and the tears that came with losing and I learned sportsmanship from both. (everyone shouldn't get a turn and there should be losers)

I have had teachers yell at me, tell me I was wasting my potential. My parents sided with the teacher instead of empowering me.

I had Mr. Di’Cocco slap me in the face when I was 10 because I was trying to steal from him. When I told my father I was slapped and why he proceeded to slap my behind and bring me to the store to say sorry. I learned there will be consequences to my actions.

Today's children are learning that the World owes them; everyone wins and there in no price to pay for their actions. These parents, teachers don't understand they will be adults one day who will be in for a RUDE AWAKEINING Life isn't fair and better to learn early.

OK Rant Done

Leave a comment:

• LaPlaca
    replied
    Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
    I thought the same thing when I read this. Great minds do think a like!!
    +1 my exact thought..."So obviously the little brats got the point". Good teacher...

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    I ended up being a slave," said Burton, 10. "At first I didn't care, but after people were bidding on people it kind of made me a little mad and stuff."
    So, the lesson worked then.
    "It was kind of mean and she should have said sorry,"
    For what? teaching you that people are not property, and you can not owne them.

Yep I smell a law suit a brewing
    I thought the same thing when I read this. Great minds do think a like!!

Leave a comment:

• zr5667
    replied
    Puh-leaze.

Leave a comment:

• just joe
    replied
    Where does it say the school apologized for the slave trade?

Gahanna is a nice suburb that has income, education and property values well above the state average. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Leave a comment:

• DACP
    replied
    I ended up being a slave," said Burton, 10. "At first I didn't care, but after people were bidding on people it kind of made me a little mad and stuff."
    So, the lesson worked then.
    "It was kind of mean and she should have said sorry,"
    For what? teaching you that people are not property, and you can not owne them.

Yep I smell a law suit a brewing

Leave a comment:

• JTShooter
    started a topic Ohio school apologizes for slave trade

Ohio school apologizes for slave trade

Kitty, what's up with your peeps?

GAHANNA, Ohio — A central Ohio school district was apologizing on Thursday after an elementary school Social Studies lesson turned into a mock slave auction.

Nikko Burton said during an American history lesson at Gahanna's Chapelfield Elementary School, the class was divided into slaves and masters, 10 Investigates More..' Paul Aker reported.

"I ended up being a slave," said Burton, 10. "At first I didn't care, but after people were bidding on people it kind of made me a little mad and stuff."

Burton said that the students who were playing the part of master were told to feel the students playing slaves to see if they were worth buying.

"The masters go to touch people and do all sorts of stuff," Burton said. "They got to look in your mouth and feel your legs and stuff and see if you're strong and stuff."

Burton's mother said that her son was humiliated.

She complained to Gahanna-Jefferson schools. School officials declined to comment but did issue a statement that said, in part, "As soon as the concern was brought to our attention, school officials acted promptly to speak with the parent."

"He felt degraded, he was hurt and the kids picked on him later," Aneka Burton said. "I feel like that was totally inappropriate; it was racist and it was degrading."

A district spokeswoman said the slave auction was part of state required curriculum and that it was a one-time lesson.

"I don't know how long it's been going on, but I am just shocked nobody has ever complained about it," Aneka Burton said.

While 10 Investigates was at the Burton's house, Nikko's principal called to apologize.

While the family said the apology is nice, Nikko said he is still waiting for one from his teacher.

"It was kind of mean and she should have said sorry," he said.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5115 users online. 280 members and 4835 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X