Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College sucks!!!

A little venting....

Have any of you had a college professor who fails students just so that they can prove their points? I have one right now and it sucks!!!

I am taking this English class called Technical and Professional Writing this semester. Now this is my last semester before I can get out here with a B.A. degree. This is one of the required classes for my minor and I thought I could handle it with help from my wife, who is an English major. ( For those of you who don't know me, English is my second language.)

In January, I turned in my first assignment, which I spent 4 hours on, and the professor gave me a D. I didn't take it too personal, I thought, "alright no big deal I will look over the instruction more carefully next time.. "

For next two assignment, I was given C-, which is a passing grade. But this last assignment, which counts for 20% of my entire grade, I wanted to do better. So I spent about 10 hours total and even completed it a week before due date so that the professor can look it over and make sure I pass this assignment. She told me to fix a few things, and I did. My wife also read it and made sure the grammar and everything else were good to go.

Guess what she gave me!! She gave me a 50% after all this hard work. She failed me for things I didn't put on the paper, none of which were on the instruction. From the way things are going, I will probably fail this class.

She is a living proof that some college professors are real IDIOTS! Normally I would not be this ****ed, but because this is my very last semester, this #*&$(^&# me off.

Okay I am done venting. Anybody else care to share a story?
    Last edited by beat_it_now; 03-05-2011, 03:03 PM.

Yes, I had an English Prof. who NEVER gave an A. He screwed up my damn average and made it very difficult to hand in assignments so you were automatically late.

I went to his French class to hand in an assignment EARLY. He was late and while I waited the class told me that he did nothing but bad mouth our class and admitted he only taught it for the extra money.

World_So_Cold

Comment

I took a journalism class as an elective back in the day. I had straight "A"'s in the class leading into the final two weeks when we began a segment on "Journalism Ethics." During in class discussion, I made it clear that I thought the phrase "journalism ethics" was an oxymoron. We had very in depth, heated arguments during discussion periods. We had a final test in which we had to read scenarios and respond how we would act as the reporter in the scenario. I stayed true to my beliefs and received an "F" on the test. I challenged her on how you could "fail" a subjective standard test. She then issued an "updated" syllabus that stated that "ethics" was now worth 50% of your overall grade.

I filed a complaint with the college and they adjusted my grade but did nothing to the teacher. Two years later, she got arrested for embezzlement from the newspaper she worked at. So much for her ethics....
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Had a social work teacher like that. Always a pain and very maddening.
        'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

I had a government professor at a CC who would go over each question the day before the test. He would tell you what each question was about. I don't think anyone made over a C in that class.
          I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Before you register check this site out ( http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/)...Take[/url] the comments with a grain of salt though...I took professors who had bad ratings but were real good...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cbr600_kitty View Post
              Had a social work teacher like that. Always a pain and very maddening.
              That's just because of the University you went to....

Comment

Originally posted by beat_it_now View Post
                A little venting....

Have any of you had a college professor who fails students just so that they can prove their points? I have one right now and it sucks!!!

I am taking this English class called Technical and Professional Writing this semester. Now this is my last semester before I can get out here with a B.A. degree. This is one of the required classes for my minor and I thought I could handle it with help from my wife, who is an English major. ( For those of you who don't know me, English is my second language.)

In January, I turned in my first assignment, which I spent 4 hours on, and the professor gave me a D. I didn't take it too personal, I thought, "alright no big deal I will look over the instruction more carefully next time.. "

For next two assignment, I was given C-, which is a passing grade. But this last assignment, which counts for 20% of my entire grade, I wanted to do better. So I spent about 10 hours total and even completed it a week before due date so that the professor can look it over and make sure I pass this assignment. She told me to fix a few things, and I did. My wife also read it and made sure the grammar and everything else were good to go.

Guess what she gave me!! She gave me a 50% after all this hard work. She failed me for things I didn't put on the paper, none of which were on the instruction. From the way things are going, I will probably fail this class.

She is a living proof that some college professors are real IDIOTS! Normally I would not be this ****ed, but because this is my very last semester, this #*&$(^&# me off.

Okay I am done venting. Anyboy else care to share a story?
                Beat it, when I was in college I had a really good GPA until my senior year when the one and only teacher I hated because she didn't like that I was doing ROTC at U of Pitt (she was a flaming liberal) gave me a D on my senior thesis, which all the women in my college had to complete to graduate. I was really young then and bitter about it for a few years.... and then finally got over it.

But if you want to know a good way to feel better about your situation sooner than I did....here's my advice. I get called by my college several times a year for contributions and each time they call, I say to them, " is that idiot Dr. Donnely still there?" Since I knew the idiot had tenure, I knew she was....so I'd say, "oh well, you're not getting a dime from me until Dr. Donnely is gone. Then you can call me."

Just wait, your college too is gonna harass you for donations too, and just keep imagining how satisfying it's going to feel to tell them to get lost. I'ts not like I'm a tightwad with alma maters. I did a grad program at U of O and I'm always happy to send something to them. But my undergrad college is still paying the price for their poor hiring judgments as far as I'm concerned. And it feels soooo good every time I tell them NO.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                  I took a journalism class as an elective back in the day. I had straight "A"'s in the class leading into the final two weeks when we began a segment on "Journalism Ethics." During in class discussion, I made it clear that I thought the phrase "journalism ethics" was an oxymoron. We had very in depth, heated arguments during discussion periods. We had a final test in which we had to read scenarios and respond how we would act as the reporter in the scenario. I stayed true to my beliefs and received an "F" on the test. I challenged her on how you could "fail" a subjective standard test. She then issued an "updated" syllabus that stated that "ethics" was now worth 50% of your overall grade.

I filed a complaint with the college and they adjusted my grade but did nothing to the teacher. Two years later, she got arrested for embezzlement from the newspaper she worked at. So much for her ethics....

Hey SRT, long time no see. LOVE, LOVE this story, LMAO.

Comment

I might have you guys one-upped. I am currently in a Corrections/Treatment of Law Violators class. Keep in mind that I work in corrections. The professor has made quite a few statements that were obviously wrong. He also is unable to answer a lot of the questions that students have. I correct him when he's wrong and when he can't answer for the students, I step in and answer the questions to the best of my knowledge.

Here's the issue. When I call him out on his errors, he tries to justify why he is right, so I then pull out the penal code sections, etc. to prove him wrong. He has stated that his only contact with corrections/jail is when he was arrested TWICE for unlawful protest. Once was in Hawaii and once in California. All of his knowledge is either from a book written by other liberal POSs or his personal experience as an inmate!!!! How irritating!

He is very anti-government/anti-republican and he makes it clear that he is. We are currently reading a text about G. Bush and how the Gitmo/Abu Ghraib and those facilities are inhumane and unconstitutional. The terrorists are better in the hands of those US Marines than they are in the hands of the citizens of Texas or others who love this country and wouldn't restrain themselves.

I don't know what my final grade is going to be, but I suspect that my paper about his conspiracy theories due on Tuesday won't be viewed very highly. Thank God this class is over in 2 weeks.

Comment

Nope, sorry I was able to fail in college all on my own.
                      Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
                        Before you register check this site out ( http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/)...Take[/url] the comments with a grain of salt though...I took professors who had bad ratings but were real good...
                        Hmmm I will have to check it out. Thanks for the info.

Comment

From reading stories from you guys, sounds like most of the college professors are liberal morons. I remember in my another English class a couple of years ago, my teacher and I got in a heated argument about gun control. I wrote a persuasive paper on the benefit of off duty police officers carrying off duty. It ****ed her off and gave me a F. She was an extreme hippie and I had fun @#@[email protected]#%ing her off.

I really worry about this country. If our kids are learning from these morons..... I will stop there. It is a scary thought.

Comment

1. I had a criminal law class in my LE degree I had to have. I lived at the local law library for a semester. Someone broke into the professor's office and stole the test. Instead of making a new test, they flunked all in the class.

2. Due to me being called for jury / witness (long story) I missed the final on a test. I had to drive to another state to the substitute teacher's house to take the test.

I was graduating college but due to my part time job I withdrew, or so I thought, from a mandatory physical ed class called bowling. I had to have the class to complete the graduation process. A Physical Education class! I was in ROTC. I had passed army physicals, rappelled down 500 ft cliffs, out of helicopters, marched 40+ miles with an 80 pound ALICE carrying an M14. Now they had to have my money for a phys ed class. I continued my job, enrolled in golf went to class once which was using a 9 iron at the old football field and graduated off semester. I still had to pay $200 to apply for graduation. I had to pay another $200 for a cap and gown I never wore because I was at Fort Benning during my college "graduation".
                            Last edited by OneAdam12; 03-06-2011, 01:24 AM.
                            Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by beat_it_now View Post
                              From reading stories from you guys, sounds like most of the college professors are liberal morons. I remember in my another English class a couple of years ago, my teacher and I got in a heated argument about gun control. I wrote a persuasive paper on the benefit of off duty police officers carrying off duty. It ****ed her off and gave me a F. She was an extreme hippie and I had fun @#@[email protected]#%ing her off.

I really worry about this country. If our kids are learning from these morons..... I will stop there. It is a scary thought.
                              Well, at least you thought it was a pursuasive paper. Post, I'll give you my opinion.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3317 users online. 206 members and 3111 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X