Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember the 20 year old CJ student who became a Mexican Police Chief?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember the 20 year old CJ student who became a Mexican Police Chief?

Seems it didn't work out as well as she planned.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41904784...cas/?GT1=43001

A 20-year-old college student hired as police chief of a Mexican border town has left the job and fled to the United States after threats, an official said Friday.

Marisol Valles Garcia left the town of Praxedis G. Guerrero with her family, the El Diario newspaper cited Jorge Gonzalez Nicolas, an official investigating the threats, as saying.

Earlier a relative of hers had told AFP news service that she had "received death threats from a criminal group that wanted to force her to work for them."

She "went to the United States along with two relatives and will seek asylum," the relative said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Andres Morales, a spokesman for Praxedis G. Guerrero, said Valles Garcia was expected back at work on Monday after taking some time off to deal with family matters.

"Right now, these are rumors," he said of the asylum report, according to the El Paso Times.

But he acknowledged that Valles Garcia had gone to the United States, saying it was to seek medical treatment for her infant son, who has a lung ailment.

"If she doesn't return to work (on Monday) she could be removed," El Diario quoted Morales as saying, "though that would be up to the mayor."

Some reports said Valles Garcia left with her son and husband on Feb. 28, going across the border to Fort Hancock, Texas.

A U.S. Homeland Security spokesperson had no comment on the asylum report. "Asylum applications are confidential under immigration law," the official said, "and we may not discuss information regarding whether an individual has or has not filed an application."

Valles Garcia became police chief in Praxedis G. Guerrero — home to some 10,000 people — after two other job candidates dropped out following the killing of the mayor and his son.

Now widely known as "the bravest woman in Mexico," she was studying criminology in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico's most violent city, when she was appointed last October.
    Story: Two more women join Mexico's police chiefs

Word of Valles Garcia's apparent departure comes after Erika Gandara, a female officer and the sole representative of the law in the border town of Guadalupe, was kidnapped in December . Her fate is unknown.

Stupidity should not be a reason for asylum.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

She was 20 years old, obviously didn't know what the real world was like.... I blame the people around her for not properly informing/warning her of her decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
        She was 20 years old, obviously didn't know what the real world was like.... I blame the people around her for not properly informing/warning her of her decision.
        She knew exactly what she was getting into.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDog4907 View Post
          Stupidity should not be a reason for asylum.
          What better path to instant Old glory and Apple Pie?

Oh, and howd she get across the border?
          Originally posted by crass cop
          Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

probably walked
            The only thing I hear when you say anything is "blah blah blah I'm a dirty whore".

Originally posted by Michigan
            I don't want to sound gay...

But I'd do him.
            Do you like airplanes and aviation??JOIN http://forums.officer.com/forums/group.php?groupid=20

My goal is to have the longest most annoying signature line ever.

Comment

She probably carried a bail over on her back.
              Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

Lots of Mexican cops live in the US, along with many wealthy Mexicans. It reduces the threat of kidnapping and murder.

And yes, it could provide a quick route to legal residency.
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post

well it said she ''fled''
                  Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post

One walks to a land border port of entry. Wait in line until your turn with the officer. You then say I would like Asylum in the United States. The officer must set the person up to see an Asylum officer in the United States. It does not mean you get to stay but it does mean you are going to get in to see the officer and get your claim adjudicated.

FB

Comment

I would think if anyone would understand her plight it would be the folks here. I think she knew what she was getting herself into and she did the job as long as she could. It wasn't just a death threat that sent her packing i read there was an attempted kidnapping. I don't want to sound sick here but she was a cute 20yr old female and if the cartels grabbed her, death would have been a reprieve from what they would have put her through. At very worst she tried and failed, but had more balls for trying than anyone else in that cesspool of a country. For those that said they think it was a ploy for asylum all along, I don't think she put her life in a direct harms way just to get asylum. There are better ways to get into the U.S. than putting yourself on the top of the cartels hit list. Albeit short, her countrymen should thank her for her service, and we should reward that kind of courage. Theres no amount of money that could get me to do that job for any amount of time. She had to watch for bad guys and her own people.

Comment

Ended better than i thought it would

Comment

Lawman, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
                          But, having worked on the Mexican border for 17 years, I lean far more toward 'the fast route to U.S. Residency' than your more sympathetic view. People will do almost anything - cross an ocean on innertubes, walk miles across the desert, spend every penny they have, to get into the U.S. illegally. She may have chosen a more hazardous, but faster route that will get her and her family here legally.

I'm not cynical, just experienced.

And legal residency is not, and should not, be a "reward" for bravery. The truly brave are those who stay and fight - they are the future Mexico needs.
                          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Lawman4322 View Post
                            I would think if anyone would understand her plight it would be the folks here. I think she knew what she was getting herself into and she did the job as long as she could. It wasn't just a death threat that sent her packing i read there was an attempted kidnapping. I don't want to sound sick here but she was a cute 20yr old female and if the cartels grabbed her, death would have been a reprieve from what they would have put her through. At very worst she tried and failed, but had more balls for trying than anyone else in that cesspool of a country. For those that said they think it was a ploy for asylum all along, I don't think she put her life in a direct harms way just to get asylum. There are better ways to get into the U.S. than putting yourself on the top of the cartels hit list. Albeit short, her countrymen should thank her for her service, and we should reward that kind of courage. Theres no amount of money that could get me to do that job for any amount of time. She had to watch for bad guys and her own people.
                            You might want to stop and ask yourself why she would take the job, unless she was already connected to the cartel.

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                              You might want to stop and ask yourself why she would take the job, unless she was already connected to the cartel.
                              She was naive, and thought she could avoid the cartels.

Earlier articles talked about how her officers wouldn't be armed. Strikes me that her theory was that if she didn't bother the cartels, the cartels wouldn't bother her.

Y'know, those criminal justice majors... They have funny ideas.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5939 users online. 303 members and 5636 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X