Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topics you want covered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Topics you want covered

    Hi to all officer.com readers,

    I write the police life column each month and would like to know what topics you would like to see covered. Many of my columns deal with relationship and family issues, but I'd like to hear what ideas you have for what information you want.

    Let me know and stay safe,
    Michelle Perin
    www.thewritinghand.net

  • #2
    I have a couple of questions. Where is it published, is it somthing the general public will read or not. If the public reads it could you talk about how the public jumps to conclusions when there are Officer involved shootings. They should wait for the facts to come out.

    If it is a colum for Police only then you really cant go wrong with tactics or feel good items (toy drives, food give aways, etc). Just my 2 cents.
    Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.


    We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jiu-Jitsu Cop View Post
      I have a couple of questions. Where is it published, is it somthing the general public will read or not. If the public reads it could you talk about how the public jumps to conclusions when there are Officer involved shootings. They should wait for the facts to come out.

      If it is a colum for Police only then you really cant go wrong with tactics or feel good items (toy drives, food give aways, etc). Just my 2 cents.
      I am a columnist on officer.com. My latest column, "Memorable Christmas Gifts" is on the homepage right now. The rest can be found under my author heading. I write about the "personal" stuff in officer's lives from a family perspective. That's what I'm looking for. What's going on in officer's lives, at home, with their loved ones that needs to be talked about and shared?

      Comment


      • #4
        This isn't anywhere near a fully developed column idea, but just a short anecdote.
        With it being the holidays, my wife has been seeing a lot of her extended family. I'm starting the police academy in Feb., and several of her family members have expressed disapproval with my career choice. It's stressing my wife out. So what gives? Why would people not want a cop in their family? Most of my wife's family are law abiding, fairly conservative Christian folk. Not exactly the type you'd figure to be anti-LEO.
        "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

        Comment


        • #5
          Why would people not want a cop in their family?
          They probably think that odd working hours, higher danger than most other jobs, and running into scum that you arrested off duty while with your family would cause hardships in your family life.
          Life is what you make of it

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
            They probably think that odd working hours, higher danger than most other jobs, and running into scum that you arrested off duty while with your family would cause hardships in your family life.
            Those would at least be some of the logical reasons. Perhaps I should give them the benefit of the doubt.
            "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by adeutch View Post
              Those would at least be some of the logical reasons. Perhaps I should give them the benefit of the doubt.
              Why can't you ask them and have an open conversation about it?




              World_So_Cold

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by adeutch View Post
                This isn't anywhere near a fully developed column idea, but just a short anecdote.
                With it being the holidays, my wife has been seeing a lot of her extended family. I'm starting the police academy in Feb., and several of her family members have expressed disapproval with my career choice. It's stressing my wife out. So what gives? Why would people not want a cop in their family? Most of my wife's family are law abiding, fairly conservative Christian folk. Not exactly the type you'd figure to be anti-LEO.

                I know I come in here rarely anymore. (I used to be a regular poster, but now live where I have limited internet, etc.)

                My .02 on this. I have a very high respect for LEO and military. My husband is a disabled vet. I have friends who are cops. I work (volunteer) with cops on domestic violence issues. When the abuser is getting tossed in the back of a cruiser, I am getting the call to come and work with the victim. Their job is not easy at best.

                Not too long ago, my 5 year old said she wanted to be a cop when she grows up. (She has also said she wants to be a teacher, a princess, an astronaut, a truck driver, and a mommy.) I blogged about this and I'll do a c&p of what I said.

                Bethany was talking the other day about what she wants to do when she grows up. She wants to go to college and become a cop. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I have a great deal of admiration for cops. They have a hard, thankless job. It is high stress. The alcohol abuse rate is high. Divorce rate is high. Domestic violence rate is high. It is rare for a cop to make it through unscathed. The toll on the psyche is harsh. Then there is the whole I prefer my daughter alive thing. While I would never discourage a child from a chosen career, I don't know if I can encourage her in this. Thankfully, she is five and will (hopefully) change her mind a million times between now and adulthood.

                I don't know if that helps with your in-laws or not, but this is my perspective on the issue of a loved one choosing this career.
                http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

                The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

                Comment

                What's Going On

                Collapse

                There are currently 4871 users online. 142 members and 4729 guests.

                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                Working...
                X