300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride-Along Stories....

Any non-LEO's participate in a ride-along recently? Share your stories... Mine is:

I went on a ride-along with Aurora's finest...I knew what was expected; observe from a distance, keep your mouth shut, etc. I choose to go on a night shift, just knowing I would see more action, right?

During the shift, it was pretty slow. I ws able to ask a lot of questions and if I pointed out something on a vehicle and questioned the legality of equipment i.e., night effects and/or license plate covers, the officer would ask "Should we pull them over?" lol

The last call of the evening was an assault call. We get to the scene and there are two females outside an apartment complex. We walk up and one of the females looks at me with a bewildered look and says "she was the one who attacked us". WTF?!? The Officer laughs and says "Ma'am that's impossible because she has been with us all evening". The story soon comes out that these two females are cousins and they were in the car with a male friend, when one of the females begins to physically assault the male. He pulls over in the apartment complex, runs to an apartment and gets his Sister to come out to pull the two females out of his vehicle and proceed to beat them up.

Long story short; one of the females has a warrant out for her arrest, so she proceeds to give the officer a fake name. The officer runs her info in this state and her claimed last state of residence. The officer is unable to find ANYTHING on this girl. One of the females gets transported for the assault and the one that no info can be located on, decides she wants to go to the hospital. While at the hospital, we tried different ways to secure her identity. A nurse assisted with a ruse, saying she could have her hospital stay covered by medicaid, but that they had to verify her identity first. (that didn't work)

The officer makes the female tell her story AGAIN and she manages to trip herself up and say her real name. By that time, we had spent four hours on this call. The Officer was PO'd. He yelled that she wasted everyone's time and that she was going to jail. At that point, the female begins to cry and asks me, ME, if there's any way I can help her. I simply told her "You shouldn't have lied to the Cops". Come to find out, this child had multiple warrants from two different counties and she was using her daughter's name to try to avoid being found out. Now, her daughters name is listed in her string of aliases....SMH. I had sooo much fun and it was very eye-opening. Funny thing is, it had never crossed my mind that she was lying. I encourage ANYONE who is interested in LE work to do a ride-along. It really gives you an idea of what you'll be dealing with first hand.

The End
    **Tea Parties are for Little Girls and Mad Hatters**

I got to ride with a friend of mine while I was out in Ohio for work. He works a fairly small town near Cleveland. Was a slow night with just some traffic stops until it was time for the ride to end. We pulled up to a stoplight and notice a biker blipping his throttle. I made mention that the bike must be cold. As we're waiting for the light to turn green, I notice that the biker is having problems keeping his bike upright. I mentioned this, and my buddy decides to sit through a green light to get a better look at this guy (around 11:30 PM). The light goes green for the biker, and he takes off like a bat out of he**. We take off after him, and see him weaving all over the road(ditches on both side) and we decide to light him up. He makes a right turn, almost dumping the bike about 3 times in the process. The deputy we had been talking to has heard us calling in about this, and joins us. Biker ends up pulling in his drive before finally stopping. My buddy and I still don't know what he blew, but he was doing all this on a CDL, not just a regular license. Was a great time.
    Whatever hits the fan, will not be evenly distributed.
    Some minds are like concrete...Thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    01 CVPI - Former OKCPD gang unit #0113129
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3037005
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/russrad25/6c.jpg http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...4-832889-1.jpg
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!
    ~Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I am not sure this thread is a good idea...
      "Inside me is something that is too stupid to quit. I don't know where it comes from or why it is, but it is there and always has been."

Comment

Originally posted by JingleHeimrJify View Post
        I am not sure this thread is a good idea...
        Did I miss something, Jify? I didn't give details or name names....Just telling a story. Hope I don't offend anyone out there...

Comment

Last edited by chaps0063; 09-22-2010, 01:03 PM.
          Brad

Comment

Glad you had a good ride Ms. Future Officer
            Last edited by JingleHeimrJify; 09-22-2010, 01:25 PM.
            "Inside me is something that is too stupid to quit. I don't know where it comes from or why it is, but it is there and always has been."

Comment

Prior to getting on the job I participated in several ride alongs with local PDs.

I was out with an officer (now buddy of mine) and we got called to a fight at a gas station. As we arrived one of the subjects took off running, we ended up chasing him in the car, going over the sidewalk, etc. Apparently I had watched one too many episodes of Cops and as the officer attempted to cut his escape path off, he put him in front of the passenger door. I instinctively swung it open and knocked the kid down. He forward rolled and got up on foot. I bailed out and tackled him about 30 feet from there. About 2 hours later, the Sgt was in front of us at the station as we were transporting a chick we served a warrant on, he got out and had a talk with me. He basically told me, "Don't f'in touch anyone. Don't touch anyone, that's the rules, got it?" Then he looked at the officer I was with and said "Don't let him touch anyone." Tucked my tail between my legs and took it.

So I was happy I didn't get short shifted and we continued on for the night. We stayed out of trouble, or so we wanted too. Sitting across from an after hours club we heard a gun shot and saw people running. He called it in, went over and pulled into the lot. I got out of the car and stood by the door (really didn't want to be a sitting duck of a target for the BG). I hear the officer giving him commands to lie down, he doesn't comply, ends up running towards the officer and he tosses him across the parking lot onto a car. I had come out from around the car door to keep a better eye on the officer as I see the BG running towards me and hear the officer yell out for me to get him. I grabbed him and he punched me in the mouth so I ended up hip tossing him to the ground, BG in custody.

Turns out, BG was attempting to rob a guy in the parking lot and the guy turned around to fight him and the gun discharged and jammed.

The Sgt showed up and needless to say I left that parking lot with a new hole.

That was all in one night and the last time I ever rode with them.

I did a few while I was in the academy also, got to search a few cars, saw a couple dead bodies, traffic stops, etc. Good stuff.
              Brad

Comment

Originally posted by JingleHeimrJify View Post
                No I didn't see anything wrong with it so far just as long as no one in the future comes in and gives personal info, or anything said in the car...pretty sure the officers expect some level of privacy in what they say to you.

Just wanted to throw that out there for future posts and I'm sorry if I am out of line.
                Not out of line at all. I'm relatively new to O.com, so I appreciate you taking the time to school me on the 'net-iquette'. Thanks, Man....

Comment

I have quite a macabre sense of thought, meaning that I'm not bothered by things like bloody crime scenes, dead bodies. I plan to do another ride-along in the next few weeks in hopes of seeing more action. <wink>

Comment

Originally posted by chaps0063 View Post
                    Prior to getting on the job I participated in several ride alongs with local PDs.

I was out with an officer (now buddy of mine) and we got called to a fight at a gas station. As we arrived one of the subjects took off running, we ended up chasing him in the car, going over the sidewalk, etc. Apparently I had watched one too many episodes of Cops and as the officer attempted to cut his escape path off, he put him in front of the passenger door. I instinctively swung it open and knocked the kid down. He forward rolled and got up on foot. I bailed out and tackled him about 30 feet from there. About 2 hours later, the Sgt was in front of us at the station as we were transporting a chick we served a warrant on, he got out and had a talk with me. He basically told me, "Don't f'in touch anyone. Don't touch anyone, that's the rules, got it?" Then he looked at the officer I was with and said "Don't let him touch anyone." Tucked my tail between my legs and took it.

So I was happy I didn't get short shifted and we continued on for the night. We stayed out of trouble, or so we wanted too. Sitting across from an after hours club we heard a gun shot and saw people running. He called it in, went over and pulled into the lot. I got out of the car and stood by the door (really didn't want to be a sitting duck of a target for the BG). I hear the officer giving him commands to lie down, he doesn't comply, ends up running towards the officer and he tosses him across the parking lot onto a car. I had come out from around the car door to keep a better eye on the officer as I see the BG running towards me and hear the officer yell out for me to get him. I grabbed him and he punched me in the mouth so I ended up hip tossing him to the ground, BG in custody.

Turns out, BG was attempting to rob a guy in the parking lot and the guy turned around to fight him and the gun discharged and jammed.

The Sgt showed up and needless to say I left that parking lot with a new hole.

That was all in one night and the last time I ever rode with them.

I did a few while I was in the academy also, got to search a few cars, saw a couple dead bodies, traffic stops, etc. Good stuff.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!
                    Did your talk w/ the Sgt go anything like this?: "Chaps, you're a loose canon, dammit!! But you got balls, and I like that. We could use a guy like you on the force. You start tomorrow!" And then he hands you a badge a gun...
                    "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

My ride along was just the opposite of Chaps0063. Every time the officer drove over 35 mph, I asked him to slow down because I was getting car sick. At one point he had to turn on his siren, and it startled me so bad I soiled myself. He did make one arrest, but the prisoner tricked me into giving him a cuff key and letting him escape. At the end of the shift I accidentally released the parking break while getting out of the car. The parking lot was sloped, so the car rolled downhill and ended up running over the dept's K-9. However, I'm still pretty sure this is the career for me.
                      "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
                        Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!
                        Did your talk w/ the Sgt go anything like this?: "Chaps, you're a loose canon, dammit!! But you got balls, and I like that. We could use a guy like you on the force. You start tomorrow!" And then he hands you a badge a gun...
                        Haha. Nope, I would've been happy with that thought. Sgt basically told me later on in the Sgt's office that it wasn't that he was concerned specifically about me but more what the insurance adjusters would have to say.
                        Brad

Comment

Originally posted by chaps0063 View Post
                          Haha. Nope, I would've been happy with that thought. Sgt basically told me later on in the Sgt's office that it wasn't that he was concerned specifically about me but more what the insurance adjusters would have to say.
                          Hmmmm... I was operating under the assumption that your ride along story was a joke, and so I was just playing along with it. And now we're at the awkward point where I don't if it's still a joke and you've upped the anti or if you really are claiming that stuff happened on your ride along. Awkward...

Comment

Part of our training is to go on a ride-along in each patrol area.

In one, they took me to an abandoned Taco Bell used by transients...there was a four foot pile of poop in the back corner. I stayed by the door.

In the rural area, we got swarmed by a heard of cows (looking for lunch) and ran code to a non-breather.

Took the wrong person to jail for another agency.

Pulled over the dead-animal pick-up guy on a traffic stop...never touch a tarp if you don't know what's under it...if you do, make sure you have wipes!

Traffic pursuit of a guy in a stolen truck who was stealing tool boxes (the big red rolling kind) that turned into an OIS with a cover unit getting in a TC.

Good times
                            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

i've been on over 100 ride-a-longs and every single one was freaking boring and nothing ever happened... not the same with my other co-workers... they have gotten in persuits, ois's, fights, ect ect ect... im bad luck
                              Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4246 users online. 270 members and 3976 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X