300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kwajalein Atoll - KPD

Here is a short video from the islands.....
    For those interested.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...=1321889535261

Thanks for posting, good video... i would like to go down for a year, the wife just wont listen to that..lol

Comment

I've thought about it many times, but its just too long to be away from my young kids.

They don't make you wear a uniform under a wet suit?

Comment

It is a long was from home....trust me. Over 5,000 miles away from where my family was!

Not a tough gig, but tough logistics and for family life...not good. Although by the video you can see the tough assignment with the clear waters etc..

Comment

Hey, my best friends sister is a teacher on Kwajalein!

Comment

Originally posted by ten08
            How far to the mall?
            2500 miles to Hawaii.....

1500 miles to Guam.....

1 small PX and a small PXtra on the Island....and one small "Commissary" ran by the Base Support Contractor.....

Comment

Originally posted by chiefcop View Post
              It is a long was from home....trust me. Over 5,000 miles away from where my family was!

Not a tough gig, but tough logistics and for family life...not good. Although by the video you can see the tough assignment with the clear waters etc..
              I went over the summer to puerto rico and snorkeled off the coast of PR's neighboring island Calebra and was ready to pack up and move there....That water is amazing, I envy my buddies in the virgin island with the park service riding around on the boat.

Comment

Chief, How long did you do down there if you dont mind me asking?

Comment

I was there for 11 months, I had to leave one month early due to personal reasons: divorce.
                  I have a lot of pictures and some videos from the islands. I was stationed on a detachment about 40 miles north of Kwajalein Island. The island of Roi-Namur was my post.

I got a lot of golf, walking, swimming and exploring in there. I actually lost 50 lbs while on the island by walking some 600+ miles for that year. At the age of 44 I am the weight I was over 14 years ago...212 lbs at 6'5" and I have that year to thank for it. As for the divorce, the separation did not cause it, was just a goot time for her to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
                    Chief, How long did you do down there if you dont mind me asking?
                    Just an FYI....I was there for a year and helped Chief get on island... He seems to have liked his time there. I've known a ton of folks that have gone there that loved it and have stayed for years.... Also know a few that got off the plane and wanted no part of it and were gone in weeks.....

It is what it is out there.... And they are always hiring...

Comment

Hey Bearcat!! I almost didn't see you there!!

I did like my time there. Under different circumstances I would have stayed longer. If I did not have the family issues I would have stayed as long as I could have. But my boys are 3 and 8 so they need dad around lots.

I have lots of pictures and memories from the location that are mostly good! I was on Roi Namur and loved that place. It seemed that Kwaj was too busy for me...lol yeah 1,000 people on Kwaj and too busy...
                      I will pm

Comment

Chief and Bear, good stuff, definatley sound like an adventure

Comment

Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
                          Chief and Bear, good stuff, definatley sound like an adventure
                          It can be.....or you can be a barracks rat and not do a thing. I got my "B" Boat license and on days off, we would go out and go fishing on the ocean and have a blast..... You could fish from the docks as well... Golf course was a little 9 hole thingy but was tough as hell because of the winds coming off the ocean.

I'd go back if I could find the right job..... Nice place.... If you make LT or above, you are allowed to bring family out. They have a small school there....K-12. Kids do real well because of the teacher/student ratio. Most classes have 10-12 kids or so in them...

I would suspect in the near future, Space and Missile Defense will try to pawn things off on IMCOM and that can only mean better things for the folks out there.

Comment

Do they have a maximum recruiting/hiring age?

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                              Do they have a maximum recruiting/hiring age?
                              http://www.alutiiq.com/

http://www.alutiiq.com/html/careers.php?id=4299&cat=16

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3007 users online. 158 members and 2849 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X