300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Satellite Television?

How can I determine the Elevation that will be needed for my Dish Network Dish? See ALL South of me has tall trees, but I figure that if it has to be at about a 40 + degree angle it will have Clear Line of Sight. Do they use 1 Satellite or how do i find out the Elevation? THANKS ALLOT!

Elevation shouldnt matter.Mine is attached to the facia on my house,so that is what? 8 feet?.The installer should be able to angle it to get the signal.Also,it may depend on the company,I know for instance the sattelite for Direct T.V. (my carrier) is located in the southern sky,your carriers may not even be in the line of your trees.
    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

I don't know about now but two years ago I was using two dishes to get HD programing. I installed a dish prior to me getting HD, but the HD ones are much more particular. I don't know which satellites they use, you could find out from their website then plug in the satellite numbers to see what you need for angle:
      http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm

Comment

I have DISH and I have three different antennas for at least four different satellites.

Comment

Go here http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installati...Calculator.htm to get azimuth and elevation.

Dish satellites for your neck of the woods are at 110, 118.7, 119 & 121 degrees.

Newer Dish systems have the components to capture all of these satellites using just one dish.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The elevation of the physical location of your dish doesn't matter. Obviously, you want to make sure you're getting through the trees (can be difficult) or over them.

Do it old school. If you have two way radios great, if not just use cell phones. Put the dish where you think it should be. Have someone on the inside at the tv watch the set up screen. It's been awhile since I've messed with Dish so I might be a step off... to get to the screen you need to test your satellite strength you got to menu>system set up>installation>point dish. You should hear a tone... you want a strong green signal on all satellites.

The person outside slowly adjusts the dish until you the person inside tells you they are getting signal strength you need.

Also, make sure you run a check switch first to make sure that you even have it connected properly and you're even getting a signal. If you fail the check switch, don't even bother with the other parts. You'll need to move the dish first.

Comment

Say bye-bye tv when it rains heavily or storms.
              Life is what you make of it

Comment

Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
                Say bye-bye tv when it rains heavily or storms.
                Wrong. Not unless you get your dish covered in snow and didn't spray it with Pam. Then you brush it off or spray de-icer on it.

Comment

I have Directv and every time it pours or thunderstorms, I lose signal.
                  Life is what you make of it

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                    Wrong. Not unless you get your dish covered in snow and didn't spray it with Pam. Then you brush it off or spray de-icer on it.
                    That is a lot of labor compared to cable/fiber...

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                      That is a lot of labor compared to cable/fiber...
                      Cable sucks, I had Comcast for a year, good box but the progarming wasn't up to snuff. I've brushed my dish once then just hit it with de-icer. It doesn't snow much here, if it did you get heaters.

Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
                      I have Directv and every time it pours or thunderstorms, I lose signal.
                      I have Direct TV w/ dual tuner HD box and never lose signal. And it does rain in Western WA. I suspect your alignment is off a bit. You can check your signal strength in the setup, it should be over 75% on the transponders, with 85 and 90 being common.

Comment

O.K. Krink..

I don't like to do what I do for 8 hours plus a day for well over 15 years and 15 in the field when I'm sitt'in here drinking duff..

I am going to be brief, anything that is underlined google or look up.

Forget all comments you have read.. Not because they were nessesarly wrong but this forum is not the best resourse for understanding sat comm.

This subject boils down into App. 4 things,: Math, terminology, electronics, and radio wave propagation...
                        less than 99% of peeps understand basic sat comm concepts..

Ok lets go....

I am not going to give the historic aspect of S.C.

This subject can get heavy fast...I am going to keep it simple..

Their are more than a dozen geosynchronous sats rotate about the equator..For intertainment

Like everything, the more you spend the better quality and # of "stations" you will recieve.

Most earth antenna are highly directional there fore you must know Azmuth angle and angle of elevation.

This can be determined easily with basic math concepts and published material.

Thier are many things you do not need to know..The lists are very long leave that to me.

Thier are appx 12 freq. bands used in sat com. not of them will interest you..

The first active component on your side is a thing called a LNA.

You may use a vertical and a Horizontal polorized LNA with the same recieving antenna or parabolic antenna.

Break...
                        Originally posted by mookster
                        Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                        Originally posted by CityCopDC
                        I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                        Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                        I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                        -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Using both Horizontal and vertical polarization equals more stations recieved...

The quality of LNA's differ greatly I would imagine...I say this because i have never personally owned a sat receiver using a parabolic antenna...I used high gain stacked arrays...

If you buy a sat reciever, thier are some very important spec's...
                          1) Signal to Noise (S/N @ a certain temprature...
                          2) If it is listed or told you in Db without and suffix their blow'in hot gas up ya's poop shoot.
                          3) IE the spec sheet sould say some tning like -23 Dbm @ 70 degrees Fahrenheit at XXXXX MHz or GHz.
                          4) IF you have a decent receiver and a decent ant. that is pointed directly at the bird...you should never loose a signal on the reciever end, snow, rain, are tooth fairys..
                          5) Today we use DBS or Direct broadcast Satillite service... The ones you guys have stuck all over your houses and barns...
                          6) A good signal in the K band can use a 18 inch dish If said rcvr uses GaAs FET front end.
                          7) Always use the best connectors, transmission lines, and keep line as short as possible....I cannot stress this enough... I shoot porcupine quills out my bunghole when I see a high end systems with rolls of transmission lines and crummy connectors....

Now I deal w/ mil spec and commercial grade stuff, not this crappy home stuff... but it is all applicable...

I am going to stop here... if there is no comments or questions in a reasonable amount of time I will say goodby!!! and thank God..

Errrr One more thang... If some wise pie hole tries to paint me into I corner or askes a "set-up" question, say good bye ta your little hotdog.... I can smell fakes a mile away..

Some of you mentioned poor reception and blamed it on weather conditions... could be if you have total crap or a bad conector...sump'in like that....BUT no one mentioned frisnal zones... beware wise guys...

Get Trigger...
                          Originally posted by mookster
                          Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                          Originally posted by CityCopDC
                          I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                          Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                          I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                          -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Originally posted by asullivan View Post
                            BUT no one mentioned frisnal zones... beware wise guys...
                            Personally, I like to keep my frisnal zone squeaky clean....

Comment

MD-11,ya might wanna check your dish,in 7 years with Direct,I have been out of signal for a total of about 2 hours,when it does go out because of weather,wait about 2-3 minutes and it is back,with cable you get to call in wait an hour for a person ,and get the "they are working on it" or the "sometime next week between 8-5",and summer in south La. means the NWS issues a severe thunderstorm warning in April,and takes it down around October.
                              Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3277 users online. 231 members and 3046 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X