X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only In Los Angeles - The Wrong Black Heroes

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100304/...ry_suspensions

3 LA teachers removed over choice of black heroes

By CHRISTINA HOAG, Associated Press Writer Christina Hoag, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 48 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – Three Los Angeles elementary school teachers accused of giving children portraits of O.J. Simpson, Dennis Rodman and RuPaul to carry in a Black History Month parade have been removed from their classrooms, a school district spokeswoman said Wednesday.

Children from other classes at the school displayed photos of more appropriate black role models, such as Nelson Mandela, Harriet Tubman and President Barack Obama, Los Angeles Unified School District spokeswoman Gayle Pollard-Terry said.

The incident occurred Friday at Wadsworth Avenue Elementary School in South Los Angeles, where the student body is more than 90 percent Latino.

District Superintendent Ramon Cortines placed the teachers — all white men who teach first, second and fourth grades — on administrative leave on Tuesday while an investigation is conducted, Pollard-Terry said.

"The superintendent will not let anyone make a mockery out of Black History Month," she said.

The issue was brought to district officials' attention by the Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP after the organization received a complaint early Monday, chapter President Leon Jenkins said.

Jenkins said he felt the teachers acted in concert to mock black heroes and children's innocence.

"These are not the people we want our young people to emulate or believe these people represent the best of the African-American community," Jenkins said. "It's hard for the NAACP to believe this was a mistake."

Simpson, a former NFL star, is serving a nine-year prison sentence for robbery and kidnapping. He was famously acquitted in 1995 of murdering his ex-wife and her friend.

RuPaul is a drag queen performer. Rodman, a former NBA star, has gained notoriety for bad boy behavior on and off the basketball court.

Some parents at the school on Wednesday said the issue was overblown.

Sharon Tinson, who has two daughters at the school and attended Friday's celebration, said she had been surprised to see Simpson displayed in the parade. But she noted that Simpson, like Rodman, was a great athlete before falling from grace. RuPaul simply has an alternative lifestyle, she added.

She noted the event also included a tribute to pop singer Michael Jackson, who has also had a checkered career.

"I kind of laughed at it," Tinson said. "I wasn't offended."

Gabriel Blackson, whose son attends the school, said he also took a larger view of the ruckus.

"These guys were heroes before. People make mistakes," he said. "I think they show kids they can be somebody, to push them to be somebody."

Jenkins said he is calling for the teachers to be fired.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

This was lame for sure and these teachers picked the wrong way to make a point of how we often pick the wrong people as role models.

But with that said, is there a National Caucasion History Month? Oriental History Month? Latino Hisory Month? Native American History Month? Eskimo History Month?

Just askin....
    Last edited by 1042 Trooper; 03-04-2010, 12:53 PM.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
      This was lame for sure and these teachers picked the wrong way to make a point of how we often pick the wrong people as role models.

But with that said, is there a National CaucasionHistory Month? Or would that somehow be racist?

Just askin....
      Yeah....the other 11 months of the year.
      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
        Yeah....the other 11 months of the year.
        I've got your point, WD, but not exactly what I meant to point out - in fact I edited my post to clear it up.

Why do we single out one race? We are a melting pot here or we are supposed to be. And separating out just one race for its accomplishments leaves out many, many others who make up the American people and their works.

My point here was that when we do this - it opens it up to just the kind of BS these teachers did.

One people. One America.

This is also why I think it's lame to all one's self a Mexican American, or African American, or Italian American.

It just seems exclusive to me.
        The All New
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

See this is why I didn't care or got involved in school too much, stupidity caused by adults...I just got my piece of paper and bounced...Role models, that's my generation problem, we really don't have many at all to look up too; at least MLK and many other were alive and making things happend when you were in school or out in the world...

Now, it's either some ex drunk/junkie give us the "we all make mistakes" speech or someone who used to be a tool but found God and is giving us the "follow your dream speech"...

Many famous people fall into the 2 catagories above...

I respect and understand Black History month, but I hope the NAACP is just as upset that the kids aren't being taught math, geography, reading, and other important material...
          sigpic

Comment

But with that said, is there a National Caucasion History Month?
            See Willow's post above.

Native American History Month?
            http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...heritage-month

Eskimo History Month?
            Alaskan Natives are paired with American Indians, thus AI may use the hospital the Feds have provided to them here in Alaska.
            http://www.anmc.org/

Oriental History Month?
            I don't think they are welcoming that title as it seems to be a degrading term hence the change to Asian-American. Yes they have tier month too.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_P...Heritage_Month

Latino Hisory Month?

Yep they have one too......just say'n http://www.hispanicheritagemonth.gov/
            Last edited by That Guy; 03-04-2010, 07:48 PM.
            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

I've got your point, WD, but not exactly what I meant to point out - in fact I edited my post to clear it up.

Why do we single out one race? We are a melting pot here or we are supposed to be. And separating out just one race for its accomplishments leaves out many, many others who make up the American people and their works.

My point here was that when we do this - it opens it up to just the kind of BS these teachers did.

One people. One America.

This is also why I think it's lame to all one's self a Mexican American, or African American, or Italian American.

I see your point and understand it completely. A lot of times I don't like the way people separate themselves into groups. They use it to gain advantage or favoritism over others they identify as "not one of us."

But in a case such as this, I think it is very acceptable to celebrate history of a culture. I don't have a problem with it.

The only question I have is, if we celebrated white history month, would it be accepted by non-whites or would it be considered racist? What if there were a NAAWP or a White Chamber of Commerce?

Comment

BTW. Stupid play for the teachers. I predict a loss of careers and pensions.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
                  "Whites" may have come to America but lots of foreigners broke their backs building it and suffering at the hands of others along with being eradicated......
                  Ummm, wouldn't coming to America have made them foreigners as well?
                  “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post
                    BTW. Stupid play for the teachers. I predict a loss of careers and pensions.
                    I agree... but I'd bet ya a bucket of chicken that if these teachers were anything but white it would have been a nonissue.
                    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

One people. One America.

Because this country was built off of slaves backs.... you can't understand the cause for some different thinking

what if somebody kidnapped you and made you do work without pay .....how would you react.

imagine your self in there shoes ....not the crooks who make excuses ....the folks who use America for what it was made for.That is capitalism...it will get anybody out of any trouble if, you put enough work in.
                      “The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything.”

“When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.”

Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
                        Ummm, wouldn't coming to America have made them foreigners as well?

Yes my words were minced. I meant to say what was later said by DudefromNC. I'm sure you know what I meant. Regardless I removed it earlier as to not start some "us vs. them " topic.
                        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by DudefromNC View Post
                          Because this country was built off of slaves backs.... you can't understand the cause for some different thinking

what if somebody kidnapped you and made you do work without pay .....how would you react.

imagine your self in there shoes ....not the crooks who make excuses ....the folks who use America for what it was made for.That is capitalism...it will get anybody out of any trouble if, you put enough work in.
                          most slaves in America were black... we get that.... you can only ride the slavery train for so long...

you weren't a slave... you parents were not slaves... your grandparents weren't slaves...

you have not suffered the effects of it whatsoever...

slavery was a part of every ancient civilization ever... look up slavery in the Roman Empire and in Italy... slavery was still prominent in Saudi Arabia until the 50's...

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                            most slaves in America were black... we get that.... you can only ride the slavery train for so long...

you weren't a slave... you parents were not slaves... your grandparents weren't slaves...

you have not suffered the effects of it whatsoever...

slavery was a part of every ancient civilization ever... look up slavery in the Roman Empire and in Italy... slavery was still prominent in Saudi Arabia until the 50's...
                            +1,000

What gets me are the *******s like my sister who feel guilty about slavery when our family never owned slaves... and even if they had I wouldn't feel guilty.
                            Last edited by zeplin; 03-04-2010, 11:09 PM.
                            sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

I'd really like to lobby for a national a$#hole month. I'll pose for the poster.
                              If you are my supervisor and reading this...I'm calling off sick tomorrow.

All posts made under this username are solely the opinion of the author (ME) and do not represent the opinion of my employer or any Federal, State, or local government agency and/or municipality. So get a grip and put on your big girl panties...'cuz if you suck at your job, I will probably tell you so.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5055 users online. 206 members and 4849 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X