300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you thankful for?

Well with Thanksgiving on the way I decided that it might be time for all of to say what we are thankful for.

Personally, I have always been a rather selfish person. I grew up an only child and quite frankly I have led a rather entitled lifestyle. My parents have been blessed to be pretty well off. Not rich, mind you...but far enough along the spectrum to where I could have a pretty financially stable life on into college.

Either way, with my college career coming to a close I decided it was time to fill some of my elective hours with some blow off courses. One of the courses I decided to take was a community service class. The course description described it as an introductory course regarding how the non-profit world works. Little did I know that there would be actual community service hours required of each student.

This is where the punch line comes in. See, of all the teachers I have ever had, there has only been one that I have kept in touch with. He was my eighth grade math teacher. While I literally remember none of the math he taught me, I still remember some of the life lessons and insight that he gave me. This man truly went out of his way to help each and every student he ever had. He is now the principal of a middle school not to far away from where I attend college so I called him up and asked him for some community service hours. To which he replied, "come by, and we'll get you set up".

Walking into the school, I half expected my days servicing my community to be filled with filing papers, catching up on old times, that kind of thing. Much to my dismay he started walking me to another part of the school. He told me that he wanted me to mentor some of the more "troubled youths" in his school. I explained to him that I had no experience talking with kids this age and that I might be more of a detriment to their growth. He, however; felt otherwise.

And so the last few days I have been spending my time with kids who on paper appear to be societies worst. To my surprise I have never had a more rewarding experience. These kids come from parents who have neglected them (both financially and emotionally), abusive homes, and other situations which I could not have imagined growing up in. It is amazing to see how much they value the few hours that I spend with them.

At first I was going to do the minimum time required with these kids. Now, I am thinking that even when the class is over I will dedicate some time each week to come down and try to help wherever I can. It just goes to show you never really know where certain roads will take you.

Sorry for this being so long, but its Saturday night and I am bored. Anyway, I am thankful for everything my parents have done for me. For the food that was always in the pantry, for the debt that I will not have when I graduate from college, for teachers that go the extra mile, and for the men and women of the Armed Services who risk their lives every day to protect my freedoms.

What are you thankful for?

-theINTERN
    Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand...

I'm thankful for short posts

Futurelaw

Comment

gett'in rid of V.D......
      Originally posted by mookster
      Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
      Originally posted by CityCopDC
      I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
      Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
      I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
      -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Originally posted by theINTERN View Post
        One of the courses I had to take was a community service class.
        Ya me too, it was called jail.....

Getty TriG!!!!!
        Originally posted by mookster
        Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
        Originally posted by CityCopDC
        I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
        Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
        I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
        -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

When BBB sends me scantilly clad photos of her via PM
          Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

my job, health, and family.

Comment

More than anything else, my wife & son.

Dark of night far from home when sometimes I literally pray for nothing to happen in the last five minutes - or 2 seconds - to go before heading home, that's what I pray for: get home to the two who mean the most.
              The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

Originally posted by Futurelaw89 View Post
                I'm thankful for short posts

Futurelaw

+1 LOL...... Good thing I had swallowed my drink before reading this.
                "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
                Not Yet Visited: 16
                Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

More than anything else, my wife & son.

Dark of night far from home when sometimes I literally pray for nothing to happen in the last five minutes - or 2 seconds - to go before heading home, that's what I pray for: get home to the two who mean the most
                  Nice post my friend!!!!
                  MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Haha sorry guys for the length of the post. Super bored last night :/
                    Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand...

Comment

... no worries I'm halfway done reading it since you posted it.
                      Will reply by 1300 tomorrow lol
                      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I'm thankful for my parents,friends and good health.
                        "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
                        Not Yet Visited: 16
                        Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

Something I wrote in '02, very SLIGHTLY revised for '09:

Top Ten Things for Which I Am Thankful

10. I received a quality education from public schools and state universities.

9. I have access to transportation. (Ok, it's a 14-year-old rust bucket, but it gets 25 mpg city and 42 mpg highway.)

8. I have a solid roof over my head. (Ok, it's in a poor urban neighborhood, but it protects me nonetheless.)

7. I have a reliable connection to electricity for light and to run appliances, including a refrigerator that works consistently.

6. I have clean, running water and indoor plumbing.

5. I have reliable access to a wide variety of nutritious food, even if I do have to pinch pennies to get it.

4. I have access to quality health care, which makes it easier for me to deal with the chronic illnesses that make it difficult for me to work.

3. I have heat in the winter, and in the summer, the shade of a giant maple and a good cross breeze.

2. Although I don't have much in material possessions, I have enough.

1. Nobody's bombing me or my family.

All of the above together make me better off than approximately 75% or more of the world's people, even though my current income puts me near the poverty line in the U.S.

Blessings abound!
                          Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                          Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                          A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Living in our fine country. The good ol' U.S. of A!

Comment

And McDonald's fries

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5984 users online. 358 members and 5626 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X