300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Results are in...

First, thank you all who indulged me and answered my women in law enforcement survey. It was quite interesting.

I have no problems with you using any of my findings, but please give me credit

Like I mentioned a couple days ago, this turned into a much huger project than I expected... If you want to see the full report (including graphs - I can't post them here without a lot of extra work...), just send me a PM with your email address.

With some exceptions, many male officers do accept their female counterparts, but often tend to be a little protective of the female officers, not in a demeaning ‘females are weak’ way, but in a brotherly way. Sometimes male supervisors treat their female officers in a different way; this can manifest itself in a positive or negative way depending on the situation.
    These women have observed that in some cases, male subjects may be more inclined to be compliant with a female officer, however, male officers tend to believe that a male subject is more likely to believe he could overpower a female officer, and thus is more likely to fight.
    When male officers are asked about their female counterparts, a vast majority expect female officers to be held to the same physical standard.
    Approximately 20% of survey respondents that thought it was appropriate to have a separate physical standards for women and men pointed out that men and women are built differently, with women having better lower body strength and men having better upper body strength.
    The male officers were also asked if they ever noticed women getting ‘breaks’ in the academy or from their supervisor. In this case, the surveyed officers were split almost in half.
    Finally, the male officers were asked if they would rather work with a male or female officer. A majority of the male officers had no preference, as long as they were working with a well trained, competent officer. However, about 30% of those surveyed would rather work male officers. Of these, half cited the increased physical strength of a male officer, while the other half listed social reasons. These reasons included not having to watch what they say, “because [they] can be guys,” feeling more comfortable and relaxed with “gross bodily functions” and worrying about the possibility of rumors of a relationship with the female officer. About 15% of respondents would rather work with a female officer, most often attributing this to the increased diversity of responses.
    For the most part, the general public believes that women should work in law enforcement, with about three percent of respondents stating that women should not be police officers.
    Two-thirds of respondents stated that they had no preference on who stopped them for a traffic violation, with the remaining third split almost equally between preferring male or female officers.
    About 20 to 25 percent of the population would rather be stopped by an officer of the opposite sex in an effort to use flirting to get out of the ticket. About 20 percent of 40 to 80 year olds would rather be stopped by a female officer; this age group reported feeling safer with a female officer.
    About half of all people surveyed stated that they would prefer a female officer respond to a sexual assault.
    Many people did not report a preference of who responded to a domestic violence situation. However, up to a quarter of the respondents suggested that both a male and female officer responding to the call would be ideal.
    Another challenge faced by female officers is becoming pregnant.
    A vast majority determined this to be a fair policy; that the unborn child is of the utmost importance, and everything else is secondary.
    A few people suggested that while the females should be placed on light duty, their pay should reflect this change in responsibilities, or that the women have to use sick leave like they would for any other medical condition. Others do not believe it is a fair policy, but again, the unborn child is the priority, and so until men figure out a way to carry the unborn child for nine months, there is not a better option. Some men complained that they have to pick up the slack when the women are on light duty. A small percentage stated that they female officer are hired to be police officers not mothers and that they should have children prior to being hired.
    Finally, those surveyed were asked what they would think about their daughter becoming a police officer. About 60% of respondents said that they would be supportive, encouraging, and proud. About 15% also said they would be supportive of their daughter’s decision, but would also be worried for her safety. A further 10% explained that they would hope their daughter would find a different line of work, but would respect her decision and support her however they could. A little under 10% of those surveyed said they would not support their daughter or son in pursuing a career in law enforcement. And, a little more than 5%, all male, stated that while they would encourage a son to be a police officer, they would not support their daughter. Sworn and non-sworn females, as well as non-sworn males or females were significantly more likely to be supportive than sworn and non-sworn males or sworn males and females.
    Last edited by Jessyca; 11-02-2009, 11:09 PM.
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed on the streets

What about female officers with mustaches?
    Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4629 users online. 257 members and 4372 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X