300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiropractors - Saviors or Quacks?

I developed a terrible lower back/hip problem years ago when I was in the academy from the daily rigors of PT. I went to see a chiropractor who took an x- ray and ominously pointed out an abonormaility. He basically said I'd be afflicted with pain for the rest of my life but his treatments would help in managing the pain. Weeks of treatment did nothing but lighten my wallet. It got so bad I almost had to drop out of the academy.

Desperate for a 2nd opinion I showed the x-rays to a sports medicine MD who shook his head and literally laughed out loud saying it was perfeclty normal. Long story short- he gave me a prescription med and some specific stretching excerises and I was good as new in 10 days. Twenty some odd years later I'm still fine.

I know that some people swear by their chiropractors while others consider them quacks...what do you think of them?
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Search for a reputable chiropractor. Be careful as some will over charge you, but I swear by mine. Kept me from having back surgery two years ago.

-SC
    Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
    MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
    Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
    Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
    Various Graduate Credits - UoP
    MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
    DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Mine helps me and it's free (cousin.) I always tell him that he isn't a real DR, but it does help with the constant pain.
      Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
        Mine helps me and it's free (cousin.) I always tell him that he isn't a real DR, but it does help with the constant pain.
        LOL he must love you when you tell him that.
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I really don't know too much about chiropractic. I have some friends who are Dr.'s and they trust chiropractors for specific back problems. However, it seems like some schools of thought think that chiropactic is the answer to practically all ailments.
          I also don't like the close relationship between chiropractors and personal injury lawyers. It's an absolute racket. And this is coming from someone who used to be a PI lawyer. PI lawyers refer all of their clients to a chiropractor because chiros will create higher bills and make it look like the injuries are worse than what they are. They will continue to treat people who are reporting no pain and also tell them that they are going to need treatment for the rest of their lives. We had chiropractors who changed their report formats to better meet the needs of the PI lawyers. Seems like a serious lack of integrity that you wouldn't find in most of the medical field.
          "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

To be fair, I should also note that some chiropractors refuse to "work" with PI lawyers. They'll take PI clients just like anyone else off the street, but won't treat them any differently or do anything special for their lawyer.
            "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

I was in a similiar (sort of) situation. I had severe back pain that started after having my son (yea, 13 years ago). So when a chiropractor told me that I had a vertebrea at the bottom that was wacky, causing all the others up my spine to compensate, I went for a second opinion. My sports medicine doc agreed and said that going to a chiropractor will help (for awhile) as well as exercises they BOTH gave me. I know that one day I'll probably have to have surgery...but for now, I don't have time to worry about what might happen.

I ADORE my chiropractor. Adore him.
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I have used them many times in my life and I have mixed feelings. Some actually did seem to make my back injury better but the last time (last) I went to this f'n moron and he cracked my neck sideways and I mean "cracked" it really felt odd, almost like he chipped a bone or something, but since that 'last' visit, my neck has never been the same. I have had MRI's done and there is injury but the cause cannot be determined because I have had (so you don't poke fun) my vehicle struck at the rear bumper area by the front of another vehicles bumper, in fact some gal totaled a Volvo sedan on my truck and caused $300.00 damage to my "GMC"

Comment

Bumping the rear can cause neck issues.

I wouldn't have gone there, but you told me not to....and I'm juvenile like that.
                  sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

My father is a chiropractor and a very good one. I can tell you from 23 years of experience, it works!
                    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                    -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyCop View Post
                      Search for a reputable chiropractor. Be careful as some will over charge you, but I swear by mine. Kept me from having back surgery two years ago.

-SC
                      Yes yes, a reputable Chiropractor and an Honest Psychic. Could life be any better?
                      "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                        Bumping the rear can cause neck issues.

I wouldn't have gone there, but you told me not to....and I'm juvenile like that.
                        I'll bump you in the rear.... you'll get whiplash for sure (oooo, that's kind of HOT!)

Comment

I heard a Neurologist on a panel say he deals with 3 or 4 people who have stroke related issues because of over aggressive neck adjustments. OTOH another MD on the very same panel said he sometimes recommeds chiros to his patients. They couldn't even agree.

Comment

Originally posted by StainlessSteve View Post
                            I'll bump you in the rear.... you'll get whiplash for sure (oooo, that's kind of HOT!)
                            Useless without pics of her rear....

Comment

Hello. Leave me and my rear out of this...it's about Steve's rear apparently.
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2522 users online. 129 members and 2393 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X