300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any pilot's out there?

Just wandering if anyone has a private pilot license and there experience with it. How many hours did it take u to finish and how often do you fly. I think I'm gonna start in December and just wanted some input.

She's here somewhere................
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

It took me about 65 hours to get my private, but I was only flying once a week, on most weeks, or even less. Fly three times a week and it should take a lot less time, because you won't spend half of each lesson playing catch-up.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I got mine while still in high school at 17. Solo in 10 hours. It was much less costy then but still - every penny I had from pumping gas went into my lessons and rental fees.

Go for it - once you have it it yours forever.
        The All New
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I'm a former Naval Aviator. I was rated in both fixed and rotary wing with my instrument ticket. Took me about two years to get my wings...

Comment

I've got my ME/SE Commercial CFI/CFII. If I remember right I started my private in August and finished it in December of the same year. I think I had about 42 hours when I finished my ride. I had a couple advantages though that helped. I worked at the airport for a year before I started flying so I learned a lot from jumping on trips and just being around the environment. I also did it when I was in high school and college so I absorbed information quickly.

As an instructor, my students took an average of probably 50 hours to complete their training then another couple for the checkride. I had a couple young guys who were right at 40, but most everyone was at that 50ish mark. I did also have one person who would not quit when I encouraged him to and was up to about 100 hours dual before I left for the academy etc...That was always an interesting couple hours when we flew!

I always tried to get my students to fly at least twice a week. That isn't always possible, and you can work through it but more time is spent each leson on review. The first 5-10 hours will be hard usually, but don't give up. After breaking that hump it becomes a lot easier.

I could go on for a while, but it'd probably be easier if you have any general or specific questions just to PM me or ask and we can do our best to answer. I know there are a few other pilots (she's probably at FL 350 right now...) here with more experience than me that can help out too.

Comment

Commercial, instrument and CFI and it took about 50 hours for my private. Haven't seen many do it in 40.

Comment

Get you commercial ASAP! Word is proposed legislation will take the minimum hours from 200 to 1,500. YIKES!
                The All New
                BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                  Get you commercial ASAP! Word is proposed legislation will take the minimum hours from 200 to 1,500. YIKES!
                  What they are talking about is requiring both pilots on airliners, including regionals, to be ATPs. Right now, only the captain has to be an ATP and a commercial is required for first officer. The proposed rule won't change commercial requirements.

There is something about there about a change to commercial requirements that I don't know much about, but it's something along the lines of removing the complex requirement. I saw something about it, but don't really remember, but I believe it had to do with having an increasing number of commercial jobs being in fixed-gear airplanes, such as Cirrus. I think they want to increase training in technologically advanced aircraft. There is also the issue of fewer and fewer complex planes available for training, especially at FBOs versus flight academies.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3831 users online. 168 members and 3663 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X