300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stevenb meet Smurf...........

Is there extra butter on that popcorn L-1?
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenb View Post
      First, I'm not trying to promote the book. Don't buy it, don't read it. I used that only to make a point that women in LE over the past 40 years has really made a change. How do I know? Because I worked with them and for them. One of my captains was a woman. When I was a watch commander in south central L.A. I made the first female training officer at Firestone Sheriff's Station. I saw how this really great lady cop changed with the pressure put on her by the other training officers. I saw several ladies come to the station and end up wanting to transfer out because of the treatment they received from not only the men, but other women. I think this is an interesting subject.

What change?? I've been in for 28 years and it has NOT changed.

We (us women) have to prove ourselves before we are inducted into the boys club. It's a male dominated field and it will always be that way. Some women can hold their own, some can't. If you can't, then don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way out!

This topic is far from interesting...it's beating a dead horse. As long as everyone does their job, it doesn't matter if they are male or female.

Will it ever change??? It's probably second to gay marriage on the things to do list! ha ha ha...it's a joke!!!!

Me doesn't think this thread will last very long..
      Last edited by deputy x 2; 10-21-2009, 12:07 AM.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenb View Post
        I think this is a great discussion area to see how far we've come in the past 40 years.
        Well Jerkette_76 cured you of that false notion, didn't she?
        ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

Originally posted by BaldOldWhiteGuy View Post
          My sergeant when I first came on told me about what happened here when 'policewomen' became police officers. He gave a stern lecture to the guys before the first two women showed up on the precinct. He warned them that in no uncertain terms were they to treat the women any differently then they would a new guy. They were cops, and that was that.

So, the guys did just what the sergeant said. They treated them the same way they treated any new guys. They screwed with them, they put dead animals in their cars, they sent them on fake runs, and they made fun of them constantly.

So, the women sued for sexual harassment and the city settled...
          Daaaaamnnnn.....

Futurelaw

Comment

Originally posted by Futurelaw89 View Post
            Daaaaamnnnn.....

Futurelaw

This past July, that's 2009...Hayward Police Dept paid out $5 million to 14 females for sexual harassment.

Walnut Creek also paid out....

And he asks....Does it still happen????

Comment

Originally posted by SkepticAlways View Post
              Well Jerkette_76 cured you of that false notion, didn't she?
              As she would say,"What the phuk Skeptic???"

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                As she would say,"What the phuk Skeptic???"
                Her first post in this thread, I thought she came across like a total jerk. No worries, I'm sure she is not the least bit concerned.
                ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

"I don't mean that as an insult, btw, so please don't take it that way"

It had a disclaimer....no worries..just wondered
                  Last edited by deputy x 2; 10-21-2009, 12:56 AM.

Comment

I put a disclaimer on it, Skeptic. Perhaps you didn't see that or didn't care to?
                    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Last edited by SBSO_DISPATCHER; 12-05-2009, 05:31 AM.
                      Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

Eh, didnt really see it as a plug....but I guess we'll find out if the OP comes back and posts more.....lol.
                        'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

Angry Smurfette

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                          How does mentioning your book show that this career has changed for women over the last 40 years? It doesn't. You plugged it, plain and simple. Do you know that you come across as patronizing when you dare to say that you know what its like because you worked alongside us? Perhaps its just me, but...I have no use for that. It's like someone giving you parenting advice...then you find out they don't have children.
                          Smurfette, you sound a little angry! One thing I forgot to mention is my wife was a deputy sheriff too during those days and I got to listen to all her stories about being passed over for promotion because she didn't have "patrol" experience and all the other crap she had to put up with. This was when very few women were being given the chance to go to a patrol station. My wife had to retire on a medical retirement because of injuries she received on duty. So, Smurfette, please don't tell me I have NO IDEA of what you, as a woman, are going through.

Comment

Steven,

If you have a wife that is a Deputy then thanks for supporting her, you should also be familiar with women who are very blunt...that doesn't make me angry. I don't know you, you don't possess that power over me. I am blunt and concise, perhaps a throwback from the job I do everyday. I'm not afforded the opportunity to mince words. Ironic, men do it and it's glossed over it, but let a woman be as assertive as a man and she's a b*tch. Case in point...I'm a "jerk" or "mean" or "angry" for typing my opinion. So in real life, do you take offense if someone says to you, "How do you, a man, write a book about the experience of women in LE?"

I still maintain that you can't "get it." Take that as being angry if you'd like, the point is that you can talk about it from your point of view but your point of view is NEVER as a woman doing this job. Your wife, your former command or Officers can TELL YOU, but that doesn't mean you truly "get it." You have no idea what this job is like as a woman...why you want to take that as me busting on you, I don't know. *I* have no idea what its like to do this job as a man. Those are facts.

You can hear her, you could sympathize, you could talk about it with her, commiserate even, but you cannot truly KNOW this job from our point of view unless you've lived it.

I don't understand racial discrimination from the POV of a white woman. Haven't lived it, don't really KNOW what its like. I didn't experience gender discrimination like my mother and my grandmother. I hear their stories and it blows my mind; then I look at the blatant issues in LE and I realize that its not that hard to believe the things I'm told. I can sympathize with the equality struggles my mother had, but I cannot fully understand them. My son is autistic. I can support him through this and do everything short of moving the world for him, but I do NOT KNOW what this world is like from HIS point of view. And believe me, I say that living every single day fighting right alongside him. I was never a Marine. I am the granddaughter of one, child of one, wife of one, best friend of one and the majority of my partners are former Marines...does that mean I "get it?" Hell, no! My girlfriend tells me hysterical stories about boot camp and the Corps (and she can tell a story like no other, believe me) but I cannot understand it from her point of view. I wouldn't DARE write a book about how the Marine Corps has changed for women...good Lord, that's insulting.

So. I hope I've done a better job of explaining MY point of view. That's all it is. MY point of view.
                            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Smurfette has a very good point, we as guys will never fully comprehend what women go through in regards to problems in law enforcement. Though I would just like to add it doesn't mean we are oblivious to what's going on.
                              In Memory of A Fallen Hero

Comment

Great Response!

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                                Steven,

If you have a wife that is a Deputy then thanks for supporting her, you should also be familiar with women who are very blunt...that doesn't make me angry. I don't know you, you don't possess that power over me. I am blunt and concise, perhaps a throwback from the job I do everyday. I'm not afforded the opportunity to mince words. Ironic, men do it and it's glossed over it, but let a woman be as assertive as a man and she's a b*tch. Case in point...I'm a "jerk" or "mean" or "angry" for typing my opinion. So in real life, do you take offense if someone says to you, "How do you, a man, write a book about the experience of women in LE?"

I still maintain that you can't "get it." Take that as being angry if you'd like, the point is that you can talk about it from your point of view but your point of view is NEVER as a woman doing this job. Your wife, your former command or Officers can TELL YOU, but that doesn't mean you truly "get it." You have no idea what this job is like as a woman...why you want to take that as me busting on you, I don't know. *I* have no idea what its like to do this job as a man. Those are facts.

You can hear her, you could sympathize, you could talk about it with her, commiserate even, but you cannot truly KNOW this job from our point of view unless you've lived it.

I don't understand racial discrimination from the POV of a white woman. Haven't lived it, don't really KNOW what its like. I didn't experience gender discrimination like my mother and my grandmother. I hear their stories and it blows my mind; then I look at the blatant issues in LE and I realize that its not that hard to believe the things I'm told. I can sympathize with the equality struggles my mother had, but I cannot fully understand them. My son is autistic. I can support him through this and do everything short of moving the world for him, but I do NOT KNOW what this world is like from HIS point of view. And believe me, I say that living every single day fighting right alongside him. I was never a Marine. I am the granddaughter of one, child of one, wife of one, best friend of one and the majority of my partners are former Marines...does that mean I "get it?" Hell, no! My girlfriend tells me hysterical stories about boot camp and the Corps (and she can tell a story like no other, believe me) but I cannot understand it from her point of view. I wouldn't DARE write a book about how the Marine Corps has changed for women...good Lord, that's insulting.

So. I hope I've done a better job of explaining MY point of view. That's all it is. MY point of view.
                                Great response! Now we're talking about some of the struggles you and other women have had to deal with. You're right...I certainly don't KNOW exactly what it's like being a woman cop, but I can see and hear what happens. Does not being a woman in LE prevent me from writing about it? If that was the criteria for all writers (that they had to experience an issue before they could write about it) then 90% of all writers wouldn't write.
                                I went into the sheriff's department right after getting out of the army in 1965. At that time women were not trained as well as men cops because they weren't allowed to be in a patrol assignment. In patrol stations we had "matrons" and they were "semi" deputies that just handled female arrestees. Finally, as time went by a trial case was conducted with 2 or 3 female deputies in patrol. This eventually led to women being assigned to regular patrol, but it took years. I lived through the huge changes that took place on the sheriff's department and saw the changes that occurred on other departments as well. Some of the changes were good, but in some instances I saw some of the lady cops losing their femininity because they tried to be too much like some of the macho cops. I think they did this to "fit in".
                                Smurfette, what's it like now? Do you think most of the walls have been taken down?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5594 users online. 355 members and 5239 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X