Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women's Problems In Law Enforcment

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Women's Problems In Law Enforcment

    I was in the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department for over 21 years (1965 to 1986) and worked many of the stations and at length in south central Los Angeles. During these times I saw the changes that took place with women in law enforcement: how they were treated, less training, sexual harrassment, etc. was the norm in the old days and then it began to change. I even wrote a novel about many of the problems that women faced during theses years and it was published in 2002. The book, The Firestone Syndrome, I believe, gives a valid and accurate account of the "old days". I would like to hear from women currently in law enforcement and women who experienced these old days and compare. I think the accounts of the old days as compared to the current times will be dramatic. But, is there still harrassment? Are women still treated differently? Do men feel women are equals? I think this is a great discussion area to see how far we've come in the past 40 years.

  • #2
    Don't come here to promote your book. It's tacky. I am curious how a man writes a book detailing women in LE, though. You can only regurgitate what you've been told...you still won't ever "get it" (I don't mean that as an insult, btw, so please don't take it that way).
    Last edited by Smurfette_76; 10-20-2009, 01:03 PM.
    sigpic

    I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice Smurf.. go get em'...hehe
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

      I Am the Sheepdog.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
        Don't come here to promote your book. It's tacky. I am curious how a man writes a book detailing women in LE, though. You can only regurgitate what you've been told...you still won't ever "get it" (I don't mean that as an insult, btw, so please don't take it that way).
        Smurf,

        Maybe we read it wrong. He said he wrote it ABOUT women, maybe he meant he wrote it to ATTRACT women. Uhhhhhh, no!

        Strike One!

        Comment


        • #5
          How do I know about women in LE?

          First, I'm not trying to promote the book. Don't buy it, don't read it. I used that only to make a point that women in LE over the past 40 years has really made a change. How do I know? Because I worked with them and for them. One of my captains was a woman. When I was a watch commander in south central L.A. I made the first female training officer at Firestone Sheriff's Station. I saw how this really great lady cop changed with the pressure put on her by the other training officers. I saw several ladies come to the station and end up wanting to transfer out because of the treatment they received from not only the men, but other women. I think this is an interesting subject.

          Comment


          • #6
            Anyone?

            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by stevenb View Post
              I made the first female training officer at Firestone Sheriff's Station
              Did she look like the Cylon #6 from Battlestar Galactica? Oh I hope so, she was hot!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by stevenb View Post
                First, I'm not trying to promote the book. Don't buy it, don't read it. I used that only to make a point that women in LE over the past 40 years has really made a change. How do I know? Because I worked with them and for them. One of my captains was a woman. When I was a watch commander in south central L.A. I made the first female training officer at Firestone Sheriff's Station. I saw how this really great lady cop changed with the pressure put on her by the other training officers. I saw several ladies come to the station and end up wanting to transfer out because of the treatment they received from not only the men, but other women. I think this is an interesting subject.
                How does mentioning your book show that this career has changed for women over the last 40 years? It doesn't. You plugged it, plain and simple. Do you know that you come across as patronizing when you dare to say that you know what its like because you worked alongside us? Perhaps its just me, but...I have no use for that. It's like someone giving you parenting advice...then you find out they don't have children.
                sigpic

                I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

                Comment


                • #9
                  My sergeant when I first came on told me about what happened here when 'policewomen' became police officers. He gave a stern lecture to the guys before the first two women showed up on the precinct. He warned them that in no uncertain terms were they to treat the women any differently then they would a new guy. They were cops, and that was that.

                  So, the guys did just what the sergeant said. They treated them the same way they treated any new guys. They screwed with them, they put dead animals in their cars, they sent them on fake runs, and they made fun of them constantly.

                  So, the women sued for sexual harassment and the city settled...
                  Lighten up Francis!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well, I think it's a valid topic of discussion. Maybe it is a plug, but I didn't sense that. I'm certainly not rushing out to buy the book. I am by no means a "women's libber," and I don't want to be treated any differently or receive any breaks because I am a woman.

                    I work for a fairly small agency, 40 or 50 sworn. I certainly notice a difference in how the women are treated as opposed to the men. However, I take the attitude that it is what it is. Sometimes it bothers me, but most times I don't give a royal poo. I know I do my share, and usually more than my share, and I do it well . . . I dare say better than many of the men on our department. I don't think I'll ever get recognized for it, but that doesn't bother me much. I'm proud of what I do and that is enough.

                    CQ
                    Last edited by CurlyQ; 10-20-2009, 06:12 PM. Reason: boo boo

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't know if it's a plug or not, only the poster knows that. I think we can be a little nicer....
                      Sleep well. There are people out there willing to die tonight so that you can wake up safe tomorrow.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have never had a problem with women, on or off duty! I love women in fact, and that's the truth!
                        "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          By the way your stephen beeler???
                          "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hey plug or not I am guessing that Stevenb is an old Firestone Viking. Do you have the tattoo on you. Did you finish your career at Century Station?
                            Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.


                            We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jiu-Jitsu Cop View Post
                              Hey plug or not I am guessing that Stevenb is an old Firestone Viking. Do you have the tattoo on you. Did you finish your career at Century Station?
                              Wrong station.....that was Lynwood.....
                              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

                              "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

                              "We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6187 users online. 321 members and 5866 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X