300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th Anniversary of the Big 7.0

Today is the anniversary of the big 7.0 in San Francisco/ Bay Area.

I was a sophmore in High School when it happened. That was my first major earthquake and natural disaster. It doesn't feel like it has been 20 years since the 1989 earthquake.

If you lived in the Bay Area when it struck where were you.

One of my friends mom was killed in the Cypress Structure when it pancaked.
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
    Not Yet Visited: 16
    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

I was at home, sitting down with my girlfriend getting ready to watch the Giants whoop on the A's. I caught my roommate's brand-new TV as it fell off the stand, went outside and picked up my Gold Wing, and then went to work. My place didn't get damaged. There was severe damage in our county as the epicenter was here.

I spent the week mainly just doing patrol, looking for looters and checking for more damage. Lots of aftershocks. I still get nervous during quakes.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I was with my mom in Watsonville. As soon as it stopped, went and sat at the fire station waiting to hear from my dad.

I still get nervous during earthquakes. That was the first of two big ones I have been in. I was also in downtown Paso Robles during the San Simeon quake. I had been next to the collapsed bell tower maybe 20 minutes before that earthquake hit.

Comment

I love earthquakes. It is so cool how the plates move.
        "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)

Comment

BBB, good question! I was on the pratice field at my local J.C. Just before the quake occurred, I hit one of our running backs with a good shot. I hit him so hard, I began to see the field start to roll like the ocean. I took a knee and looked at the stadium lights, they were swaying side-to-side. I told myself, that I really delivered a good shot, so good that i'm goofy.

I then heard other team members yelling and pointing. I soon realized that an earthquake was occurring. I was 20 years old and have never felt one before, ever. I live a short distance from form San Fran. and this was my first experience. It was surreal, I could not believe my eyes.

Our team went to the locker room and turned on the TV and saw the beginning of the destruction. My big sister lived in Santa Cruz at the time and really got hit hard, but luckily no injuries, only some minor foundation damage. 20 years ago and I remember it well!!!

Comment

Man, you are an old fart. I was a sophmore in high school when it happened. I was practicing my bball shots with my coach (who I had a crush on). The basketball didn't make it but then I saw the backboard to the hoop start to sway and then the bleachers started to rattle. That is when we both realized it was an earthquake.

So we both ran outside and I immediately grabbed ahold of his waist! I don't care if it didn't look good or not. I was freaking scared! That was my first "real" earthquake that I remember feeling.

After going through that earthquake every minor quake I loved to feel the earth move.

Comment

Im not that old!!! At least I did not use an earthquake as an excuse to grab onto a teachers waist! Jeez, girl!

Comment

Originally posted by YELLOWLAB View Post
                Im not that old!!! At least I did not use an earthquake as an excuse to grab onto a teachers waist! Jeez, girl!
                His waist and body mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by BaseballBabe View Post
                  His waist and body mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Hooker!

Comment

Originally posted by YELLOWLAB View Post
                    Hooker!
                    Shudded up......... You know you love me! Lol I'm sure he enjoyed me wrapped around him. Lol

Comment

I was headed to the then Concord Pavillion for a Stevie Nicks concert. People on the roads were out of their minds trying to get home. It took three hours, no one wanted to drive thru the Caldecott tunnel and all of the street lights were out.

Somehow everyone forgot that once the lights are out...it becomes a four way stop. The radio kept saying part of the Bay Bridge had collaspedl

We were in charge of getting the dead out of the cypress structure. Some are still bothered with the condition of the victims.

Then there was the fire in the Marina. My mom was at the game at Candlestick.
                      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I was at home, and I ran to sit underneath the table, like they told us to do in school. HAHAHA

Then, my mom told me to get out from under the table, and we walked over to the sidewalk, away from the houses.

I was six and a half.
                        I love my LMU Lions! We have a long way to go, but we're pulling through the muck and coming out alive!!!

Comment

Channel 7 KGOTV is doing a 15 Seconds:Earthquake of 1989 documentary.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/feature?s...cal&id=7029970

Comment

I wasn't in Frisco, but I was in Sacramento and us Sacramentians felt it too. I was 11 y/o and I was watching the Giants and A's play (what an awesome series and an awesome year for baseball) remember the Bash Brothers? My father had just gotten up from the graveyard shift and was taking a bath. The water in the bathtub just about splashed out onto the bathroom floor.

I then heard my dad yelling through the house about an earthquake and for me to turn the news on, in which I did and the rest was history. It seems like it was only yesterday, 20 years sure goes by fast. Makes me think about the song Like a Rock, by Bob Seger because of the lyrics "20 years now, where'd they go, 20 years I don't know....I sit and wonder sometimes where'd they go." Which also makes me think of the Chevy commercial that was popular at the time of the quake......hhhhmmmmmm weird!!!! Enjoy

The song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keIvA...eature=related

The commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IocCC...eature=related
                            Last edited by CAleo; 10-19-2009, 03:25 PM.
                            Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5556 users online. 316 members and 5240 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X