Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Was That One Piece Of Advice That Stuck With You?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Was That One Piece Of Advice That Stuck With You?

Hello Everyone,

In your career (no matter what profession) you at one point were the new guy/gal. Through tons of training, classes, and possibly working with a mentor/manager etc.

What was one piece of advice that stayed with you throughout the years?
    Do you find yourself using it now, with new employees, recruits, etc.?

I was originally going to Post this in Ask A Cop, but we have some talented individuals who are not LEO, like myself.

For me it was my Father. In Broken English (were Italian) he would say
    " If u clean a shi- off tha wall, you be the best a shi- a cleaner in the world"
    ... It sounds better in Italian

At the age of 12 I couldn't get over the image of poop on the wall, and why I have to clean it. He was telling me this as I was cleaning a construction site; while my friends were enjoying summer vacation. I was already angry I had to work, and know I have to clean shi- off a wall? lol

As I got older I did understand the message he was telling me.
    What my father was saying was " No matter what you do, Be the Best at It and I will be Proud Of You"

But as I got older I find myself saying this to my kids nephews etc. ( I explain the poop is a metaphor to them

What is something that has stuck with you that you find yourself repeating?
    Last edited by jcioccke; 10-12-2009, 06:37 PM.
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Don't get in trouble w/ the law, maintain a clean record...That's what my dad would tell me...I'm greatful for that advice, especially now that I'm intreatesd in a career in LE I won't have to explain much...For the most part I've been a "square"...

I've had classmates that wanted me to tag along when they would skip and do stuff, but I stayed in class, at the time I was mad b/c I was bored in class, but now I'm so glad I stayed...

A lot of older people would always tell me that same thing as my dad, "stay in school and stay out of trouble and you'll go far kid", a lot of cool old people...I'm very greatful...

I don't have to go on the Ask a cop section and ask "will this DQ me?"...
    Last edited by Southflaguy; 10-12-2009, 06:59 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

"Walk like your sh** don't stink."
      --From my mom

Basically meaning, walk with confidence. If you are feeling crummy inside, you shouldn't let it show.

Ha. I remember she always used to hound me before I walked out the door about "keeping my shoulders back" and "head up" until the point where it became natural for me.

Futurelaw

Comment

my FTO told me...
        1)go home the way you came in, if not better...
        2)dont get yourself killed over a traffic summon, if they are doing it (speeding, etc) now, they will do it later.

ohh and Drill Instructor, Staff Sergeant Sancho said...PUSH!!!
        dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

Keep your mouth shut, and your ears open.
          Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Anything worth doing is worth doing right. - Dad

Never go easy. - Football Coach

Son, if you kiss ***** your whole life eventually someone is going to sh%$ on your face.- Little League Baseball Coach
            Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand...

Comment

An old timer told me when I started, "After midnight, if they aren't working,going to or from work, they're up to no good," and "No matter what the call is, how bad it sounds on the radio, whatever chaos is happening, remember, it ain't happening to you until you get there." Referring to think before you jump head first into some crap..

Comment

"if you're gonna' be dumb you'd better be strong"

"there are 2 people in this world....people who are born to kiss *** and people born to kick ***...my lip are clean and my boots are dirty"
                Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

In addition to some of what was said above.

"The only thing we control in this job is our own attitude and how we react to things."

Helps to think about that when you get a huge crap sandwich
                  The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick1701 View Post
                    "if you're gonna' be dumb you'd better be strong"
                    I always heard it as

If your gonna be dumb. You better be tuff.
                    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Ask. Tell. Make..
                      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

One I always heard and like was, "It's better to be quiet and have people think you're dumb then to open your mouth and prove it"...
                        sigpic

Comment

When I was a younger man and getting ready to enlist, my father, who was career military, took me on a walk to give me some advice. He did not speak for about the first ten minutes.

Finally, he said, "Son, if I have to give you one piece of advice, it would be this: If you are ever in combat and a grenade lands near you, grab the son of a bitch next to you and throw him on it. Then tell everyone what a hero he was."

He didn't add anything else, and I've never asked him if he was serious or not.
                          Lighten up Francis!

Comment

My father gave me advice but this I remembered...

Dont ever get a girls name on you unless its your daughters name or says MOM.

My grandmother told me

You better pay your rent first cause you cause you can live without everything else but you gotta have a house and food.

I took the first one as is.. the second one to me meant you better learn to prioritize and I really have...
                            Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

Comment

never write a check your *** can't cash.

M-11
                              “All men dream...... But not equally..
                              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                              but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                              for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3385 users online. 214 members and 3171 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X