300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour of a B-17 and B-29

Thought I'd share a few pictures of a one on one tour that my daughter got for me on my birthday (tomorrow) It was probably one of the neatest things that anyone could have done for me and especally because it was just me and her that was there. The guys showing the planes are actually restoring them, one to fly, the B-17 and one for display the B-29. One of them was a WWII B-17 Pilot and one was a B-29 Pilot during the war, the other was a gent from England that just lucked into working on WWII when his wife signed him up as a volunteer.....14 years ago, said it's been the funnest thing that he's ever done.

This is the view from the cockpit of the B-17 taken by me...

this is my daughter, who shall remain nameless at the waist gunner position on a .50 cal.

This is the B-29...

And this is my daughter in the ball turret, twin 50's in hand, see why Nobody?

That is very cool! I still remember the day when my dad took me to see a B17 at the local airport as a kid. I will remember it forever. It looks like you and your daughter had fun.

Comment

We really did have a great time Perks, thank you. We've done things like that since she was about two and I still see the little girl in her now. I am so fortunate to have the daughters that I have, I must be the most blessed father in the world...

Comment

Congrats and happy birthday! Sounds like a neat present and spending time with a loved one is even better.
        Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
        Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

Originally posted by brn2reign View Post
          Congrats and happy birthday! Sounds like a neat present and spending time with a loved one is even better.
          Thank you B2R, I don't know how happy they are after so many but still thank you

I also forgot to say that I mentioned that I would love to offer my assistance as a volunteer with anything they might need a hand on to help in any way.
          Herb Phelan one of the pilots the flys the B-17J and actually flew into Germany during WWII said "I got something you can do right now" So he took me into the bombay of the B-29 and said "you see that bulkhead? that panel over there goes on it, would you like to do that" So me having no experience working on aircraft, let alone a vintage WWII bomber, I said SURE!!

He let me clear out the tools and place this 2'X3' aluminum panel up on the bulkhead and put a couple of bolts in it to hold it.
          This may have been my trial by fire because he later told me that if I can be available next week he is going to talk to the administrator to see if it would be ok to let me do a few things. Herb is the PM on the B-29 and actually from what Alan (the English chap) told me, actually pulls the strings, so I'll just hope real hard I guess.

I have a shot of me working on the bulkhead that my daughter took but it for some reason turned out blurry, gremlins

Comment

I also got to tour the B-17 and the B-29.. when they were at my airport cool planes. I got to take to some WWII vets too, theres a thread, or pics in the O.com picture thread with it somewhere too.

Comment

That was truly awesome of your daughter to do that for you.

Years ago, I was a "Colonel" in the old Confederate Air Force, which is now known as the Commerative Air Force. ("Confederate" wasn't politically correct, so they changed the name of it.) All members were "Colonels".

They own and maintain a whole bunch of WWII aircraft, not only American, but foreign also, most in flying condition. One they have is a B29 named Fifi. It is supposedly the last remaining flying B29 in existence. I believe it is currently down for engine re-fitting, but will be back up and flying when done.

If anyone is ever down in the Midland TX area and has an interest in such things, it is well worth a stop at their museum. It is a walk through history.

Their website is: http://www.commemorativeairforce.org/

"Yes sir, I know you have rights."
              "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

That's so cool Taylor, like I told my daughter yesterday, this is a once in a lifetime thing, take it in. I'll have to go find your post, like Cajunguy said, if it flew in it was the FiFi, the only airworthy B-29 left in the world.

Cajunguy, hell yes!!
                We just talked about you guys yesterday and actually some of the old parts that they are using on the restoration of this B-29 came from the CAF. Herb told me that without the help it would have to remain incomplete in some ways. We talked about FiFi as well, she was here in I think 2000 flying some vets around on a commemorative thing for the Boeing company, it's on Youtube, pretty cool but I missed it.

The CAF has (I think) the largest flying private collection in the world of WWII and they do tons for this fading passion.
                I live in Everett Washington where Paul Allen has the Flying Heratige Collection and in the summer, every weekend I have old fighters flying over my house. From P-47's to Me-109e's to the Imperial Airforce planes, P-51's and Tigercats <rare

So I feel fortunate to be where I am and at times, when you hear them coming and up look up into the blue sky you can be in France, Germany or England for that moment and remember what those boys did for us so long ago Sorry I get a little nostalgic but I think that anyone that has rubbed shoulders with some of our vets you know what I'm saying...

Comment

Wait.. maybe it was the B-17 and the B-24.. I think that what it was. oops. I also got to see a P-51 mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                    Wait.. maybe it was the B-17 and the B-24.. I think that what it was. oops. I also got to see a P-51 mustang.
                    If it's the tour that I'm thinking of T13 it's the same planes that I took that girl in the pictures to in 92 a B-17 and B-24 with names of USAAF guys all over it. In fact I think I have some pictures of her holding "Abbot the Rabbit" in front of them, I'll see if I can find them. Abbot went everywhere she did in those days, yes she still has him, there's something about little girls

Comment

Originally posted by StainlessSteve View Post
                      If it's the tour that I'm thinking of T13 it's the same planes that I took that girl in the pictures to in 92 a B-17 and B-24 with names of USAAF guys all over it. In fact I think I have some pictures of her holding "Abbot the Rabbit" in front of them, I'll see if I can find them. Abbot went everywhere she did in those days, yes she still has him, there's something about little girls
                      Yep.. that's it. USAAC (US Army Air Corps) btw. It's okay, I brought trains, or trucks wherever I went. When I was young, anywhere I slept, I had to have a my little rabbit (stuffed bunny) with me lol

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                        Yep.. that's it. USAAC (US Army Air Corps) btw. It's okay, I brought trains, or trucks wherever I went. When I was young, anywhere I slept, I had to have a my little rabbit (stuffed bunny) with me lol

Found it Taylor!! This is a scan mind you so the quality is a little bad. This was taken in 92 and the B-24 was named the "All American" This is the girl in the picture taken on Saturday, my they grow up so fast! Shown with her favorite childhood friend, Abbot

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4856 users online. 296 members and 4560 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X