Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrc27 View Post
    Who nominated him?
    The only reason I know this was because of the Stanley 'Tookie' Williams execution/Nobel Peace Prize (NPP) nomination from a few years ago...

The nominations and voting are kept secret for 50 years. Nominations for the NPP come from elected officials and professors of social sciences.

One of the local Los Angeles radio talk-show hosts, Bill Handel, got a politician friend to nominate him for the NPP, so that like Tookie Williams, Bill Handel, too, was a NPP nominee.
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Oh yeah, Tookie Williams was nominated, one of the founder of the Crips...Didn't he win?....
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
        Oh yeah, Tookie Williams was nominated, one of the founder of the Crips...Didn't he win?....
        No, no NPP for Tookie. He was executed and there is no posthumus Nobel Prize awards given.

Not that Tookie was a serious contender, anyways...

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

**** tookie.
          Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

...I have now seen it all folks.

Comment

Good job Obama

I am glad that he is sticking to his promises about closing Guantanamo, and us leaving Iraq.
              Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Comment

It's the internet age. I just sent the following e-mail to the Nobel committee at [email protected] :

Postmaster -

Is it true, that President Obama had only been in office for 11 days when the nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize were closed?

How can your organization justify the awarding of so meaningful a prize to someone who has accomplished so little in nine months as president, much less the 11 days you took to determine his worthiness?

I'm very sad for your organization - restoring meaning to it will be difficult.

Kieth M*******, United States

Comment

I found this a little confusing too, I thought it was only for achievements already completed. but I recently read this:

By The Associated Press The Associated Press –
                  Fri Oct 9, 6:56 am ET

An award that generates as much interest as the Nobel Peace Prize is bound to be surrounded by myths. Geir Lundestad, secretary of the secretive committee that awards the prize, outlines for The Associated Press some of the most common misunderstandings:

• Myth: The awards committee announces a shortlist of candidates.
                  The committee does not release the names of any candidates and keeps records sealed for 50 years.

•Myth: A campaign for a particular candidate can sway the awards committee.
                  A campaign could have the exact opposite effect on the fiercely independent committee, which does not want to appear influenced by public pressure.

• Myth: Candidates can be nominated until the last minute.
                  The nomination deadline is eight months before the announcement, with a strictly enforced deadline of Feb. 1.

• Myth: Anyone can nominate a person or group for the Peace Prize.
                  No, although Nobel statutes on who can nominate were slightly broadened in 2003. They now include former laureates; current and former members of the committee and their staff; members of national governments and legislatures; university professors of law, theology, social sciences, history and philosophy; leaders of peace research and foreign affairs institutes; and members of international courts of law.

• Myth: The prize can be revoked if a laureate does not live up to the standards of the peace prize.
                  There are no provisions for revoking the prize.

• Myth: The prize can be awarded posthumously.
                  The prize was award posthumously only once — in 1961, to former U.N. Secretary-General Dag Hammerskjold, after he was killed in a plane crash in Africa. The rules were amended in 1974 to prohibit posthumous prizes.

• Myth: The prize is awarded to recognize efforts for peace, human rights and democracy only after they have proven successful.

More often, the prize is awarded to encourage those who receive it to see the effort through, sometimes at critical moments.
                  "Of course America had often been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up."

Comment

My facebook status from this morning:

So you are telling me that if I wear mom jeans, buy a poodle, suck at pitching, call Cambridge police idiots, fail at the Olympics, and get really good at the NCAA Basketball brackets - I can win the Nobel too?

Thats about all I gots ta say.
                    Graduate of Athens Regional Police Academy - 235th BLETC

Comment

Originally posted by JayhawkFan View Post
                      Good job Obama

I am glad that he is sticking to his promises about closing Guantanamo, and us leaving Iraq.
                      uhhh...you are kidding right? At least 50 will stay in Gitmo, and GWB put together the deal to remove troops from Iraq the summer before the election.
                      A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

obama is a dirty afghan and was raised in a petri dish. nuff said.
                        NO-LIFER

Comment

Originally posted by JayhawkFan View Post
                          Good job Obama

So we close the prison, and do what with them? Open another prison for them? I guess because it is not Guantanamo, it is better? The logic of closing one to open another is seriously flawed.

Obama has done for this country what pantyhose has done for finger ****ing...........not a damn thing.
                          It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

It took me two pages of Post to accept this as reality. I hate to go with the crowd on issues, But WTF? Who else was nominated?

Would love to see a side by side comparison of achievements.

To quote SouthFlaGuy " Is the Oscar Next?"
                            Last edited by jcioccke; 10-09-2009, 03:10 PM.
                            MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

More often, the prize is awarded to encourage those who receive it to see the effort through, sometimes at critical moments.
                              Like Yasser Arafat, who quickly backed away from the deal he had made.

Quite a few recipients have been unworthy. I look at it this way: Obama is now in the same category as Jimmy Carter.
                              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Guys, I have to tell you something, I won it too! I know that you're probably going to say "well what the hell did he do" and I will get back to you on that but I'm pretty sure it's because my dog has never missed a meal

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4839 users online. 291 members and 4548 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X