Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...ize/index.html

Wonder how he'll stimulate the economy with his 1.4 million?

(CNN) -- President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, a stunning decision that comes just eight months into his presidency.

Less than nine months into his presidency, Barack Obama has been awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee said it honored Obama for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

The president had not been mentioned as among front-runners for the prize, and the roomful of reporters gasped when Thorbjorn Jagland, chairman of the Nobel committee, uttered Obama's name.

The president, who was awakened to be told he had won, said he was humbled to be selected, according to an administration official.

The Nobel committee recognized Obama's efforts to solve complex global problems including working toward a world free of nuclear weapons.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said.

Jagland said the decision was "unanimous" and came with ease.

He rejected the notion that Obama had been recognized prematurely for his efforts and said the committee wanted to promote the president just it had Mikhail Gorbachev in 1990 in his efforts to open up the Soviet Union.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population," it said.

Obama's recognition comes less than a year after he became the first African-American to win the White House. He is the fourth U.S. president to win the prestigious prize and the third sitting president to do so.

The announcement Friday in Oslo, Norway, came as a surprise -- Obama had not been mentioned among front-runners -- and the roomful of reporters gasped when Thorbjorn Jagland, chairman of the Nobel committee, announced Obama's name.

Jagland said the decision was unanimous and came with ease.

He rejected the notion that Obama had been recognized prematurely for his efforts and said the committee wanted to promote the president just it had Mikhail Gorbachev in 1990 in his efforts to open up the Soviet Union.

Jagland said he hoped the prize would help Obama resolve the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Listen to Jagland explain why Obama was this year's choice

Former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, last year's laureate, said it was clear the Nobel committee wanted to encourage Obama on the issues he has been discussing on the world stage.

"I see this as an important encouragement," Ahtisaari said.

The committee wanted to be "far more daring" than in recent times and make an impact on global politics, said Kristian Berg Harpviken, director of the International Peace Research Institute.

And Wangari Muta Maathai, the Kenyan environmentalist who won the 2004 Peace Prize, said the win for Obama, whose father was Kenyan, would help Africa move forward.

"I think it is extraordinary," she said. "It will be even greater inspiration for the world. He has shown how we can probably come together, work together in a cooperative way."

The award comes at a crucial time for Obama, who has initiated peace missions to key parts of the globe.

Obama's envoy to the Middle East, George Mitchell, has returned to the region to advocate for peace negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians. Mitchell met Thursday with Israeli President Shimon Peres. He plans to meet Friday with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu before talking with Palestinian leaders in the West Bank.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton starts a six-day trip to Europe and Russia on Friday. On the trip, the secretary will discuss the next steps on Iran and North Korea, and international efforts to have the two countries end their nuclear programs.

The centerpiece of the trip will be her visit to Moscow, where she will work toward an agreement to take the place of the Start II arms control pact, which expires December 5. She also will address the new bilateral presidential commission that is working on a broad range of issues, from arms control to health.

Mohamed ElBaradei, who won the 2005 peace prize for his efforts to prevent nuclear energy being used for military means, said Obama deserved to win for his efforts to bring Iran to the table for direct nuclear talks with the United States.

"I could not think of anybody who is more deserving," said ElBaradei, the chief of the International Atomic Energy Agency. Listen to ElBaradei react to the announcement »

As the news of Obama's win broke online, postings on social network sites Twitter and Facebook expressed surprise. Many started with the word: Wow.

The last sitting U.S. president to win the peace prize was Woodrow Wilson in 1919. The other was Theodore Roosevelt in 1906. Jimmy Carter had been out of office for more than two decades when he won in 2002.

This year's Peace Prize nominees included 172 people -- among them three Chinese dissidents, an Afghan activist and a controversial Colombian lawmaker -- and 33 organizations, the highest number of nominations ever.

The deadline for nominations must be postmarked by February 1 each year. Obama was inaugurated on January 20.

The Nobel recipient receives a prize of about $1.4 million.
    Last edited by dren; 10-09-2009, 07:19 AM. Reason: typo

I laughed when I heard about it. It isn't what it used to be, it's purely politics now. This is the same group (of 5 politicians) that awarded their prize to Gore and Carter. A prize for having your heart in the right place is something a kindergarten teacher would give to a child for good behavior.

Comment

The day they gave Carter the Nobel Prize, it lost all value. The man (Obama) has not done anything yet, he has given a few speeches telling the world what he wants to do, but has not accomplished anything yet, all the man does is talk. Hopefully he does not try to tackle world peace the same as he did the economy or we are ****ed.
      It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

[QUOTE-- President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize .[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH.....oh wait, they're serious. Heard this on the radio this morning...one world leader was quoted as saying "why, he hasn't done anything yet"...many leaders are also questioning why he is getting it.
        A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

I admit I'm no Obama fan, but WTF? Seriously, what has he done?

I might think highly of him if he were to return it saying, "Thanks, but wait until I accomplish something."

This administration is all about style over substance.
          Last edited by Kieth M.; 10-09-2009, 08:43 AM.
          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Just shows the the Nobel Prize is worth nothing. 2 weeks in office was the area evaluated. 2 weeks! What a pathetic PC move.
            Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Hey, Obama has done a lot, thank you very much!......
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                I admit I'm no Obama fan, but WTF? Seriously, what has he done?

I might think highly of him if he were to return it saying, "Thanks, but wait until I accomplish something."

This administration is all about style over substance.
                Why he be da furst blak prezodint!

Comment

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

Comment

Originally posted by ray8285 View Post
                    [QUOTE-- President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize .
                    HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH.....oh wait, they're serious. Heard this on the radio this morning...one world leader was quoted as saying "why, he hasn't done anything yet"...many leaders are also questioning why he is getting it.[/QUOTE]

+1!
                    Lighten up Francis!

Comment

(Daniel 8:23-25) And in the end time of their rule, when evil men are at their worst state, a ruler with a powerful look and able to understand mysterious sayings, shall rise up.

And he will have very great power, but his power is not from himself (it is spiritual): and he shall destroy terribly, and shall be successful, and accomplish, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people.

And through his policy also he shall spread deceit; and he shall exalt himself in his own heart, and in the name of peace he shall destroy many. He shall also stand up against Christ; but he shall be destroyed by Him and not by humans."

Comment

Who nominated him?
                        Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.

Comment

i know sarcasim

Im sure the young marine and soilder sleeping in their etool dug fighting hole using their gas mask as their pillow over in Afghanastan are all excited about Obamas award as he runs off to make his acceptance speech and they fight for their lives to kill the taliban and hope to live another day while they wait for the President to send them some help so they can level terrorist. Im sure a President who ignores this fact through ignorance or down right elitest not caring deserves this joke of a prize.
                          "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by inspectorsmiley View Post
                            (Daniel 8:23-25) And in the end time of their rule, when evil men are at their worst state, a ruler with a powerful look and able to understand mysterious sayings, shall rise up.

And he will have very great power, but his power is not from himself (it is spiritual): and he shall destroy terribly, and shall be successful, and accomplish, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people.

And through his policy also he shall spread deceit; and he shall exalt himself in his own heart, and in the name of peace he shall destroy many. He shall also stand up against Christ; but he shall be destroyed by Him and not by humans."

UHHHGGggggg!!!!! That outdated book is not the answer to everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
                              Im sure the young marine and soilder sleeping in their etool dug fighting hole using their gas mask as their pillow over in Afghanastan are all excited about Obamas award as he runs off to make his acceptance speech and they fight for their lives to kill the taliban and hope to live another day while they wait for the President to send them some help so they can level terrorist. Im sure a President who ignores this fact through ignorance or down right elitest not caring deserves this joke of a prize.
                              They signed up for the job. And before you start in on me, I HAVE been there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4689 users online. 273 members and 4416 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X