300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This really Churns My Guts

Really I am speachless because a whole slew of profanatys just left my mouth while reading this:

By GEOFF MULVIHILL, Associated Press Writer Geoff Mulvihill, Associated Press Writer – Sat Sep 26, 1:02 am ET
    BURLINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. – A school for kindergartners through second-graders in a comfortable Philadelphia suburb has become the latest target of accusations by conservatives that schoolchildren are being indoctrinated to idolize President Barack Obama.

The controversy grows out of a school assembly during Black History Month in February, when gripes about the freshly inaugurated president were still mostly hushed.

That month, a group of smiley and fidgety students at B. Bernice Young School sang a medley of two short songs praising the president.

The first song begins, "Mmm, mmm, mmm, Barack Hussein Obama/He said that all must lend a hand/To make this country strong again."

The second one was set to "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" and included the refrain, "Hooray, Mr. President."

While the performance is seven months old, the outrage is new and came about because of the discovery of a YouTube video.

It's been fodder for conservative opinion leaders such as columnist and blogger Michelle Malkin and Fox News Channel host Glenn Beck.

The notion that schoolchildren are being subjected to partisan politics rather than taught civics emerged earlier this month before an Obama speech to students was played in thousands of schools.

By then, unlike February, there was broader mistrust of Obama, particularly over his health insurance overhaul plans. Concerns that he would use his speech to students as a political tool grew partly because the White House initially released a lesson plan encouraging students to "help the president."

The plan was revised and the message to students was not overtly political.

News about the song brought a quick response from New Jersey's Department of Education. Spokeswoman Beth Auerswald said the department wants "to ensure students can celebrate the achievements of African Americans during Black History Month without inappropriate partisan politics in the classroom."

Auerswald said the state would also look into whether posting the video online violated the privacy of students.

Superintendent Christopher Manno defended the performance in Friday's editions of the Burlington County Times.

"There was no intention to indoctrinate children," he said. "The teacher's intention was to engage the children in an activity to recognize famous and accomplished African Americans."

He said he would not identify the teacher who led the song. State education officials said she retired at the end of the last school year.

The source of the video is not entirely clear. In Malkin's column, she said it was posted in June on the YouTube channel of author Charisse Carney-Nunes, who wrote the children's book "I Am Barack Obama."

The song medley was presented to Carney-Nunes, who had been invited to the school, as a demonstration of a project the children had put together, her public relations firm said in a statement.

"Charisse feels it is unfortunate that an event put together with sincere intentions to encourage literacy while celebrating the contributions of African Americans to our great nation has become political fodder and hopes cooler heads will prevail," the hoverFly media statement said.

The video was ubiquitous online Friday but was not listed under Carney-Nunes' feed.

Officials at the Burlington Township Board of Education did not return calls Friday to discuss the incident or how much public response it received, and the district's Web site was not available.

Leslie Gibson, the mother of a kindergartner and a second-grader, said the incident was not addressed in Thursday evening's back-to-school assembly.

Gibson said that while parents had different views about how problematic the song may have been, one thing was unanimous: They don't like having television trucks and reporters camped out on the streets near the school.

Friday afternoon, there were two police cars posted outside the building.

There wasn't much protest, though. One man, Chris Concannon, from nearby Magnolia, was outside hoping to speak with school officials about what happened.

"It's just like the Hitler Youth all over again," said Concannon, an unemployed 26-year-old former National Guardsman. "They should be learning history, but instead they're being taught to worship the president."
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

We've been discussing it, I think in the Various Topics section. Are you upset it happened or that the "reporter" is upset that conservatives found out about it?

If it isn't indoctrination then I don't know what indoctrination means. Black history my ***, we can recognize an achievement without worshiping it.

Comment

Amen, This is brainwashing children at its best. I promise when my kids are old enough for school its straight to military school. I don't want these idolators influencing my children. Educators job is to teach process, not politics, if fact why cant kids be kids and let parents teach politics. Hell educators already told our children theyre not allowed to worship their 1 and only Lord and Savior in school (although mohamed is ok, we don't want to upset the minority and hurt their precious self esteem) BS! I am getting way too hot talking about it.

Comment

It is in various topics and is discussed at great lengths. I don't like it anymore than you do.

Comment

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_300372.html

It swings both ways. Neither of which is acceptable. But you brough up an interesting point. You seemed to be against the decision to cut school prayer, which is fine, you're entitled to your own belief, but isn't your critisicm of this story that students were being brainwashed, or forced to praise someone they might not agree with or believe in? Couldn't the same be said for school prayer where students are subject to beliefs or ideas they, or their parents might not agree with?

Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Comment

Comment

Bearcat....As someone who lost family in the holocaust....shame on you.
              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                Bearcat....As someone who lost family in the holocaust....shame on you.
                Read history....what this teacher and Barry want to do/are doing.....is just that....Hitler Youth.....

If that bothers you...I suggest calling your HOR or Senate....and have them voice their opinions to the WH and the other ninny's out there that see no problem with this BS....

Wonder what would have happened if this would have been a song praising W. and praising the war in Iraq.....?

Comment

No one is forcing athiest children to pray Christian prayers in school. Although rapidly declining the majority of the population holds Christian beliefs. So why does the majority have to make concessions to the minorty? This country was founded on Christian principals, freedom of religion for all, but founded on Christian beliefs. (ie. "One nation, under God" or "in God we trust") Politics should be left out of schools. My children as any Christian's children has an inherent right to know where they stand. A minority belief has no right to infringe upon that. They don't have to participate if that causes them to segregate themselves or ostrisize themselves find somewhere else to live. Little by little individual freedoms will be taken away to appease everyone else. I have a right to live in a God fearing, and morally straight nation. I have a right to have the Ten Commandments in my court houses. I have a right to have orgnized prayer in our schools. I understand that not everybody can be happy. This nation made itself. Our founding fathers took us from colonist under the foot of a dictator to a world power standing for liberty and justice for all men. They did this with moral principals, personal responsibility, courage and a belief that no man should kneel before anyone other than God almighty. What I see this nation become is a nation with a broken moral compass. Leaders who worry more about campaign funds than strengthing ourselves. Pandering every immoral person who would rather compain and whine about the raw deal they were given than take hard road to self salvation. Freedom does not mean do as you please without regard to what your actions do around you. Freedom is not living under corrupt public officals who benefit from your hard work and give nothing back. Freedom is not taxing the ritch more simply because they have more. If you want more than work harder than your prodgney can have an easy life. Yes, I recognize that America is not without fault, we are guilty of our own atrocitys. Look back at the men of this country a two hundered years ago,hundred years ago, fifty years ago. What was diffrent? They belived in somthing more than themselves. They took pride in calling themselves an "American." Ask yourself do you take pride in America? Your America? The America of 2009? What have we done that is so great? How have we strengthened this Great Nation? We could possibly be living in the decline of our civilization. Where are the leaders that will stand up and say "No More!" Make this the Great Republic that the trators to the crown envisioned. Our youth have no respect for authority. People belive they have an inherent right to be a holes. Children would rather look to celebertys as role models instead of their parents and grand parents. Parents fear legal reprisal for diseplening their children. Theives and drug dealers no longer fear the law for they will get probation because the overburden justice system cannot handle the prison population. We import more luxarys than our gross export. Change for the better is painful but when have we had to sacrifice anything in our comfortable lives to make our nation better? All of our comforts, our xboxes, plasma tv's, were paid for in the blood of our grand fathers and their fathers. What would they say to our society? But thats the thing no one cares they love Anglina Jolee, Rosie, Oprah, and George Clooney. Im no political major, Im not some business mogul, and I am far from a scolar. Im a poor cop, a veteran soldier, just avrage plain joe. I am nothing more than a man with a hope that our country will get the leadership and wake up it so despretly needs. I weep for this Nation. Rant Over

Comment

I weep for the death of language discipline and the slow strangulation of proper grammar and spelling.
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by Smurfette
                    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                    Originally posted by DAL
                    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
                      I weep for the death of language discipline and the slow strangulation of proper grammar and spelling.
                      lol r u serius??? i think u r stoopid my mom sed we need hugs not english to mak luv in da wurld.

Sadly, this is what comes from today's public school system. You're preaching to the choir, brother.
                      "To know that you know what you know and that you do not know what you do not know; that is true knowledge." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by brad601 View Post
                        Our founding fathers took us from colonist under the foot of a dictator to a world power standing for liberty and justice for all men. They did this with moral principals, personal responsibility, courage and a belief that no man should kneel before anyone other than God almighty.
                        Our founding fathers also said:

George Washington

"The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the
                        Christian Religion."

Thomas Jefferson
                        "I have examined all the known superstitions of the Word, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the world ...

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the common law."

James Madison
                        "During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."

And to throw another one in there:

John F. Kennedy

"I believe in an America where religious intolerance will someday end... where every man has the same right to attend or not attend the church of his choice."

Before gaining our freedom we were subject to the Church of England because it was the official religion, the religion of those in power, those in the majority. You want to talk about what the forefathers wanted, you get everything that comes with it. Freedom of religion doesn't mean being subject to the freedom of the majority. It means freedom to make your own choices. You speak of things like celebrities making impressions on children, but either ignore that prayer in school will make an impression even on those who may not be naturally inclined towards it, or you accept that as okay simply because it falls in line with your beliefs.

If you happen to live in a school district where 85% of kids were Muslim, or Jewish, would you be okay with your child being subject to prayer from the Quran or Torrah?
                        Last edited by siggyfreud; 09-28-2009, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Double Post

Comment

Heil Hitler.....Heil Obama.....

Same/Same....

Comment

Originally posted by siggyfreud View Post
                              Our founding fathers also said:

George Washington

"The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the
                              Christian Religion."
                              For a guy that whined about the political nature of the posts here you seem to be making a lot of them.

Plus, you're facts are wrong. That quote was directed to the Muslims in the Treaty of Tripoli, signed by John Adams.

Our Constitution that governs the land is secular, impartial to religion, it can't persecute or establish any.

Some of the founders, like Jefferson, were deists. That means that they did believe in a Creator so your anti-Christian quotes aren't particularly relevant. I can find hundreds of pro-Christian quotes by the founders and I would point out that prayers and services were held in government, some of the practices ongoing to this day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6584 users online. 355 members and 6229 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X