300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by In It To Win It View Post
    Right. And a card burning coward running to canada, served 8 years in the White House.
    Wait, what?

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
    Beyond veterans, why is anybody? Homeless advocates will tell us it's "the failure of the government to take care of people". I disagree.

I worked Skid Row in Los Angeles, and I dealt with homeless people in Los Angeles for 30 years. Most all of them, 99.9%, are homeless because they want to be. Shelters, training, and "transition" programs have rules: No alcohol, no dope, no smoking inside the facility. The same rules present back where there family lives. Many are metally ill, but not mentally ill enough to be a danger to themselves or others, or gravely disabled.

Taylor, I asked several people over the years, "Can I take you somewhere, the V.A.? A Shelter? Hey, they have this program...three hots and a cot, you want to go?" And they would turn me down, with a polite, "No thanks!" I would ask, can I help track down and call you family. Again, the answer was "No." I succeeded only twice in returning two homeless people where they were supposed to be, and their mental illness prevented them from making the connections, home.

Sadly, the homeless are used politically. They are very much a hot news topic which points out the failure of presidential administrations...but only when people like Reagan, Bush 44, and GWB are in the office. When Carter or Bill Clinton was in office, there wasn't much coverage...and I swear that their numbers did not diminish. Now that BHO is in office, I'm sure that homelessness, as a topic for measuring the effect of government, will not be talked about...or perhaps just blamed on previous GOP administrations.

Take any one of our closed and empty military facilities, open it as a place where the homeless could have a place to eat, sleep, get their needs met and they would avoid it like the plague. And, at the same time, their defenders would accuse the program designers of try to "warehouse the homeless".
    Thanks for the input Kieth... didn't know that other side to it.

Comment

I have a large amount of friends that were in Vietnam. Not many of them have positive stories about returning home. Dad is still angry about being called a baby killer and spit on. Similar experience from 4 of my other friends.

As far as the Soldier that was murdered I don't know and I was fairly young when it happened. We have talked about it because it bothers him. To go through that and then be murdered as soon as you get home in America because you did your job.

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
      I grew up during Viet Nam, and had several relatives serve, not to mention all of their friends. I have not heard a single "first hand" story of anyone being harassed, yelled at, or spit on when they came home....but quite a few about offers of coffee or a ride home.

Blue stars were displayed proudly in front windows....and many of us wore POW bracelets.

I'd be curious to know the circumstances surrounding the murder of your father's friend?
      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
        Wait, what?
        He's talking about Bill Clinton, Taylor.

Comment

Ummmm..

Thar' is a place called Phonex Arizona, thar' was a homless Vet. that went by tha' name of Tennesee, that because that was where he was from..

His real name was Albert Lee Dean..Rank E-8 Sevice #116-05-1168.

Albert Lee Dean was born 7-26-38 and kicked tha' bucket 12-11-06..

He preffered ta; live "outside" rather be tied down... He drank beer, no dope, smoked tobacco.

He was a veracious reader, preferred Louis Lamar...and lived in a "Hobo camp"
          At tha' NE corner of McDowell road and 83rd street....He lived wiyh about 5-8 other hobos...He seemed to "seep" up to tha' top and became thar' unofficial leader........

I bought him a room when I first discovered Tennesee....I went back ta' check on him..Wrong move Sully..
          He did not take a lik'in to roofs I suppose, found him curled up like a caT outside tha' door a few hours later....

One day I brought him home when my Chinese concubine was not thar'....He liked Trigger, and suprisingly enough, Trigger liked him..

I found out he was allergic ta' fish, liver, and mushrooms....

One day In mid November i did not see my friend... So I rode to tha' V.A. hospital on Indian School Rd.... I used ta' take him thar alot fer different thangs...

A pretty girl told me that he had been discharged a few day befer........I So, I went back ta base camp and inquired with "Pops"... Pops did not see Tennesee.... I Trigger and I looked and inquired all over. We had hot leads that went cold.... Day after day, then weeks....Trigger seemed nervous like..

Fer some damned reason I looked in tha' dead peoples section and it said, I qoute...

"Albert Dean 49, of Phoenix Arizona passed away December 11th 2006. If anyone has any information please contact Harper Funeral Home at 602-243-3961."

He was found drowned in tha' canal... alone, without much friends and no family...I had lost a friend and tha' country had lost a patriot...

I will always miss Tennessee,... I buried him in tha' VA Memorial cemetary North of Phoenix Were many more soldiers lay.... Thar' were two people from tha' funeral home and myself... That was it, Three people..

I said a few words, and the two people gave me tha' flag that draped his coffin....

I also have a book he gave me and Trig...It was written by Petet MacDonald on tha' history of tha' Special Forces..Thats what Tennesse did, He Jumped 73 times out of aircraft and fought in tha' jungles of Viet Nam and Cambodia...

This is tha' first time I have ever communicated this story...BTWm Albert was a Christian, and prayed fer Eddie Long everyday, Eddie was K.I.A. and Albrts best friend in tha' jungles...
          Last edited by asullivan; 09-24-2009, 11:42 PM. Reason: secret stuff, very secret
          Originally posted by mookster
          Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
          Originally posted by CityCopDC
          I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
          Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
          I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
          -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Sully, thanks for sharing that story...

...even with your own special style of communication. I still got through it.
            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

M-11
              I was thinking the exact same thing through this whole thread.
              RIP.
              Fenix

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
              It's nice they did this stuff for him.

But...

I would rather they had used the money to try and improve the llife of a living hard luck vet.

M-11
              dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3877 users online. 267 members and 3610 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X