Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush817
    replied
    Filling out one of those packets for a rescue dog is like filling out a PHS for the PD. Why do they need all that info? One of them wanted a picture of my house and to show them where the dog would be sleeping. I don't know about all that. Do the really need all that info and what do they with it?

Leave a comment:

• JasperST
    replied
    I'd like to see some evidence that breeders are largely corrupt. Like most things the corrupt ones make the news and give everyone else a bad name. I have a purebred Rat Terrier that I'm am very happy with, he's very healthy and intelligent. Super friendly too.

I also have a mix that was found so I rescued her and could be happier with, dittos to the above. Everything has its' risks. Everything is a trade off.

The problem you can have with a pound dog is that you don't know their history, while you can research a breeder.

Leave a comment:

• Nobody
    replied
    Originally posted by luvmylabs View Post
    I'll stick to my purebreds. Careful research gives me a much better chance of getting a stable puppy.
    I deal with shelter dogs a lot as a an ob instuctor.
    Iowa 1603 put together a complete response

but I'll add my $.02 anyay - you have no idea what you are talking about if you refer to "purebreds" as having a higher chance of being stable. Purebreds have a higher chance of disposition problems (mental) as well as physical problems (thanks AKC for your "idea" of what the breeds should look like).

And regardless of whether or not that is true, it is the moral choice to save a life (shelter rescue) versus continuing to fund a largely corrupt industry - if you truly don't care about animals, then why get one in the first place? At the very least, if "you" (anyone) choose to waste hundreds on a purebred - make sure you know the breeder and they actually care for the animals.

...though i'm not surprised people buy puppies rather than rescue them, it still sickens me.... (rescue, then donate the money you saved to the shelter ... you'll get a good healthy friend and you'll have done a good thing)

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by luvmylabs View Post
    I'll stick to my purebreds. Careful research gives me a much better chance of getting a stable puppy.
    I used to buy purebreds, and I raised a few litters of registered puppys.

I have volunteered with several rescue organizations and currently have more than one "shelter dogs".
    My wife is the animal control officer for our county. I assist her on many calls.

I will never again buy a purebred....from a breeder or a store. There are way too many breeders looking for a buck, and are deemed puppy mills. I refuse to put any money in their pockets.

Most rescue organizations/shelters temperament test all animals received before they are offered for adoption. While that is not 100% successful, proper testing usually weeds out bad seeds.

Two of my current pack are rejects--------------absolutely fantastic dogs, but each have traits that we would not want adopted out to novice dog owners. (one of them is a beautiful lab-------------purebred-----------with a lousy disposition)

A shelter dog, given time to bond with the new owner will many times become what we call velcro dogs------------------you can't pry them away from their new best buddy.

A dog that has been neglected or abused and finds a loving family will show you what true love and loyalty really is.

Leave a comment:

• ateamer
    replied
    Originally posted by School Cop View Post
    Siamese cats are asking themselves the same question....
    As are Persians.

Leave a comment:

• Tacticool
    replied
    I just had to put my Rhodesian down last year. Great family dog. Now we are down to 2 rotties.....

Leave a comment:

• School Cop
    replied
    Originally posted by Sense0Purpose1 View Post
    Why do they still call it a Rhodesian Ridgeback, since the country hasn't existed since 1980?
    Siamese cats are asking themselves the same question....

Leave a comment:

• luvmylabs
    replied
    Originally posted by Nobody View Post
    rescue / shelter dogs FTW!!!! > purchased "pure breds" (effF the AKC)

Leave a comment:

• Bdub84
    replied
    Well, Zimbabwe Ridgeback sounds silly...plus Zimbabwe will never be anywhere near as prosperous as Rhodesia once was, thus, in it's current state of affairs, would almost tarnish the dog that would bear it's name.

Leave a comment:

• Seventy2002
    replied
    One of my nephews has one. Definitly protective but a real sweetheart once he figured out I was family.

Leave a comment:

• Rush817
    replied
    Originally posted by M-11 View Post
    If you go with a ridgeback, check them for Dermoid Sinus signs. It's a skin condition that requires surgery. Google it before getting a ridgeback

M-11 (Drunk Dial)
    That something I hadn't looked at, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• M-11
    replied
    If you go with a ridgeback, check them for Dermoid Sinus signs. It's a skin condition that requires surgery. Google it before getting a ridgeback

M-11 (Drunk Dial)

Leave a comment:

• Nobody
    replied
    yup, save a life - don't fund an industry that just ruins purebreds for profit

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by Sense0Purpose1 View Post
    Why do they still call it a Rhodesian Ridgeback, since the country hasn't existed since 1980?
    So what----------------Australian Shepard's were bred and developed in the United States.

Ridgebacks are awesome dogs-----------------check www.petfinder.com and try to find a rescue dog.........they have all sorts of breeds

I have never met a rescue dog that I didn't like.

Leave a comment:

• Rush817
    replied
    Originally posted by JasperST View Post
    http://www.akc.org/breeds/rhodesian_ridgeback/index.cfm

A large and muscular dog, the Rhodesian Ridgeback was not only developed as hunter but also as a family protector. The breed can be light wheaten to red wheaten and are sleek and glossy in appearance. Originally bred to hunt lions the breed is also known as the African Lion Hound.

A native of South Africa, the Rhodesian Ridgeback was bred by the Boer farmers to fill their specific need for a serviceable hunting dog in the wilds. In 1877 Reverend Helm introduced two Ridgebacks into Rhodesia where big game hunters found them outstanding in the sport of hunting lions on horseback. They raised and bred these dogs with an appreciation for their exceptional hunting qualities, the ridge on their back becoming a unique trademark. In 1950 outstanding specimens were imported to the United States and the breed was admitted to registration by the AKC in 1955.
    I have that printed out sitting here next to my computer! lol

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6545 users online. 358 members and 6187 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X