300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhodesian Ridgeback

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a dog as a family pet. I want a Doberman Pincher but she wants a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I've never heard of the breed until recently but everything I've read has been positive. Do any of you have any experience with this breed and could give me the pros/cons of owning one? Thanks in advance.
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

I've met a few at various dog parks. All of them have been outstanding dogs, very athletic, well behaved and friendly. But the owners say they are excellent watch dogs and would be a force to reckon with if you were uninvited.

Being bred in Africa they also tolerate heat very well and were active when other dogs decided it was too hot for anything. I really wouldn't mind having one myself. They are physical so they need their exercise but probably no more than a dobbie.

Comment

I've read they hunt lions in Africa so being a guard dog should comes easy! I'm glad they can handle the heat since I'm in TX!

Comment

...and just to add to it

http://www.akc.org/breeds/rhodesian_ridgeback/index.cfm

A large and muscular dog, the Rhodesian Ridgeback was not only developed as hunter but also as a family protector. The breed can be light wheaten to red wheaten and are sleek and glossy in appearance. Originally bred to hunt lions the breed is also known as the African Lion Hound.

A native of South Africa, the Rhodesian Ridgeback was bred by the Boer farmers to fill their specific need for a serviceable hunting dog in the wilds. In 1877 Reverend Helm introduced two Ridgebacks into Rhodesia where big game hunters found them outstanding in the sport of hunting lions on horseback. They raised and bred these dogs with an appreciation for their exceptional hunting qualities, the ridge on their back becoming a unique trademark. In 1950 outstanding specimens were imported to the United States and the breed was admitted to registration by the AKC in 1955.

Comment

rescue / shelter dogs FTW!!!! > purchased "pure breds" (effF the AKC)

Comment

Why do they still call it a Rhodesian Ridgeback, since the country hasn't existed since 1980?
            sigpic

I'm the gatekeeper, are you the keymaster?

Servicing what feels like one giant Mental Hospital......... going on 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by PO2U
              Take the Rhodesian Ridgeback!!!! However, they are expensive! And for good reason!
              The breeder we found is going to have puppies in a couple of weeks and they're going for $650, which is a little cheaper than the Dobbie. We plan on taking him to Man's Best Friend to get trained.
              Last edited by Rush817; 09-22-2009, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                http://www.akc.org/breeds/rhodesian_ridgeback/index.cfm

A large and muscular dog, the Rhodesian Ridgeback was not only developed as hunter but also as a family protector. The breed can be light wheaten to red wheaten and are sleek and glossy in appearance. Originally bred to hunt lions the breed is also known as the African Lion Hound.

A native of South Africa, the Rhodesian Ridgeback was bred by the Boer farmers to fill their specific need for a serviceable hunting dog in the wilds. In 1877 Reverend Helm introduced two Ridgebacks into Rhodesia where big game hunters found them outstanding in the sport of hunting lions on horseback. They raised and bred these dogs with an appreciation for their exceptional hunting qualities, the ridge on their back becoming a unique trademark. In 1950 outstanding specimens were imported to the United States and the breed was admitted to registration by the AKC in 1955.
                I have that printed out sitting here next to my computer! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sense0Purpose1 View Post
                  Why do they still call it a Rhodesian Ridgeback, since the country hasn't existed since 1980?
                  So what----------------Australian Shepard's were bred and developed in the United States.

Ridgebacks are awesome dogs-----------------check www.petfinder.com and try to find a rescue dog.........they have all sorts of breeds

I have never met a rescue dog that I didn't like.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

yup, save a life - don't fund an industry that just ruins purebreds for profit

Comment

If you go with a ridgeback, check them for Dermoid Sinus signs. It's a skin condition that requires surgery. Google it before getting a ridgeback

M-11 (Drunk Dial)
                      “All men dream...... But not equally..
                      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                        If you go with a ridgeback, check them for Dermoid Sinus signs. It's a skin condition that requires surgery. Google it before getting a ridgeback

M-11 (Drunk Dial)
                        That something I hadn't looked at, thanks!

Comment

One of my nephews has one. Definitly protective but a real sweetheart once he figured out I was family.

Comment

Well, Zimbabwe Ridgeback sounds silly...plus Zimbabwe will never be anywhere near as prosperous as Rhodesia once was, thus, in it's current state of affairs, would almost tarnish the dog that would bear it's name.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                              rescue / shelter dogs FTW!!!! > purchased "pure breds" (effF the AKC)
                              I'll stick to my purebreds. Careful research gives me a much better chance of getting a stable puppy.
                              I deal with shelter dogs a lot as a an ob instuctor.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6551 users online. 357 members and 6194 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X