Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another step towards US Citizenship!

Hi all,

Got a good piece of news in the mail recently - my Green Card was renewed, and the conditions on it removed!

What this means to those of you who haven't had the distinct pleasure of going through the immigration system, is that if you've been married to a US Citizen for less than 2 years when you first emigrate, you receive a "Conditional Green Card" - which is valid for 2 years. At the end of those 2 years, you apply to have the "conditions removed", which basically means sending in a tonne of evidence proving a bona fide marriage (joint tax returns, photos of us together, joint bank accounts etc etc). If USCIS feels that it's insufficient evidence, then they can call you for an interview, and even deport you if they feel the marriage was fraudulent! Luckily in my case I sent enough evidence in to get approved without interview, and now my Green Card is valid for 10 years, and no more evidence needed by USCIS.

This also means I have a few more options out here - I can now enlist in the Air Force (the only branch requiring the conditions to be removed), civilian jobs in Vegas Metro PD are now open (I did apply to be a Crime Analyst when I first moved over, but got rejected because they require the conditions to be removed), and various other options too.

Finally, perhaps the best thing is that I now only have 1 year to go till I can become a US Citizen! Despite having a tough time of it since emigrating (laid off, almost getting sued, difficulty in marriage etc), I can honestly say the US is my home now and I cannot wait for the day I finally become a Citizen. A big thankyou is also due to all on here who have encouraged and support me throughout this ongoing journey. Becoming a Citizen also gives me a LOT more options for LE jobs, so I look forward to sending in some applications soon as well!

On an unrelated note - I also got promoted with my company to a Hospital Security Supervisor position in Denver, with a few more $'s, and it also requires me to qualify with a handgun (on a 4-day course) - so I'll also be buying my first handgun pretty soon! (Most likely a Glock 22).

CONGRATS!! Best of luck with the new job and your future here.
    Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand...

Comment

Congrats! Have you read Craig Fergusan's book? American on Purpose?
      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Congrats....
        "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

Fantastic.
          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I just wanna chimed in and say THANK YOU for legally applying to become a US Citizen.

Now I know it sounds quaint, but being down here and all you can appreciate when somebody goes through the motions and proves that he/she really wants to be a contributing American

Good luck and God Speed!

Comment

Originally posted by Armitage View Post
              Hi all,

Got a good piece of news in the mail recently - my Green Card was renewed, and the conditions on it removed!
              Congratulations! My wife has been through this process and this Wednesday she takes her citizenship exam. She's studied for months (USCIS provides great study materials, BTW) but she's nervous none the less. Good luck with your future endeavors!

Comment

God speed Mr. Armitage!

The UK's loss is, very much, our gain!
                "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

WoOOooOooOT! bravo sir. good show. Glad to have you as a fellow citizen

The above comments reflect the personal and unofficial opinions of the poster; and in no way should be taken to indicate any opinion or policy of any government agency.

Comment

Dayum - I was just IN Denver. Should have stopped in just to har you talk.

Good luck buddy. Proud to know ya.
                    The All New
                    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies

Willowdared - I hadn't actually heard of Craig Ferguson's book, but he is one of my favorite comedians so I will definitely look into it!

Steve354 - best of luck on your own immigration process, and if you need any help or advice, feel free to PM me, as I have a number of other contacts who have been through the process successfully too.

Kieth M - Will have to see about doing "lunch" again sometime once I get back to Denver!

1042 Trooper - Next time, just ask at the Children's Hospital in Aurora for "the security guy with the funny accent"...

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                        Dayum - I was just IN Denver.
                        Oh, wait, was that during the time while my e-mail, or the O.com PM system was down?

Hey, RoadKingTrooper, Monkeybomb, MikeyMedic, Mac266, Oddball-Six, and all the rest of us "Frontrangers" were your e-mails/PM systems down, too????????????
                        Last edited by Kieth M.; 09-22-2009, 05:58 PM.
                        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3889 users online. 247 members and 3642 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X