Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Reason Not To Patronize Wendy's

Man's lung ailment caused by fragment of fast food spoon

(CNN) -- "I know I didn't chow down on a spoon!" declared John Manley, who recently discovered that an eating utensil was the source of his two years of ill health, coughing, vomiting and pain.

The Wilmington, North Carolina, resident had surgery last week to remove part of a plastic spoon from his lung. And it wasn't just any old plastic spoon; it came from the fast-food chain Wendy's, with the restaurant logo clearly visible on the handle.

"It must have been in the food or drink," Manley told CNN affiliate WECT.

His doctor found the spoon after looking into his lungs with an endoscope, a medical instrument with a long, thin tube containing a light and a video camera.

"He explained that there was an object down there, and it had writing on it," Manley said. "It spelled out 'Wendy's' on one side and 'hamburgers' on the other, and I was a little floored."

So were his relatives, who, when they were telephoned with the news, were eating ... Wendy's.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

"It must have been in the food or drink,"
    *Sniff* *Sniff* I smell frivolous law suit coming...

That story just boggles the mind. I HATE onions and whenever I taste the smallest onion in my food I automatically take it out. I wonder how he couldn't tell the plastic taste.

Futurelaw89

Comment

How could you not know you ate 3/4 of a plastic spoon? AND IT WASN"T EVEN THE BUSINESS END !!!!!!!!!!!!!
      "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
      but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

What about chewing your food? How in the **** could you inhale 3/4 of a plastic spoon? I love Wendys, but I always look at my food before I eat it.
        It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

Comment

I heard earlier that he loves to gulp his chow down. Eating like a starving animal does have consequences! But Wendy's will probably have to cough up a few dollars to make it right.

Comment

I got Wendey's yesterday. The burger smelt awful and when I tried to eat it, it made me gag. Needless to say, I wont be going back to Wendey's for a while now.

Comment

I worked at wendys for four years during HS.....besides the crappy pay and coming home smelling like French Fries....I dont have much bad to say about it.....

Its fast food so of course its not healthy or as good as you could make at home, but there's nothing 'sneaky' about how they make the food....the buns are real buns, ketchup is ketchup, the meat is cooked on a griddle, the chicken is fried, etc.....pretty basic

But back to the original post.....swallowing that much of a spoon? Ive got a hard time imagining how that's possible....lol
              'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

Could have been worse, there could have been a finger in his chilli...
                I'm sure Wendy's is going to pay for his bills, one way or another...

I'm glad BK has .99 cent Jr. Whoppers...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Futurelaw89 View Post
                  *Sniff* *Sniff* I smell frivolous law suit coming...

That story just boggles the mind. I HATE onions and whenever I taste the smallest onion in my food I automatically take it out. I wonder how he couldn't tell the plastic taste.

Futurelaw89
                  He'll get nothing from this. The spoons are wrapped in plastic and located in the seating area. They aren't served in your drink, and they won't fit up your straw. If he chooses to eat them, that's on him.

At first I thought this was made up, but there really is a WECT in Wilmington that covered this story.
                  If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

What's this guy, a circus sideshow act? How do you inhale a spoon?

Comment

Originally posted by School Cop View Post
                      He'll get nothing from this. The spoons are wrapped in plastic and located in the seating area. They aren't served in your drink, and they won't fit up your straw. If he chooses to eat them, that's on him.
                      +1, X2. Something smells here...and it ain't the French fries.
                      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

My recollection is that Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy's, was very anti-gun. Is that correct?
                        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                          Officer,

Tigger and ma' self thought ya' said chow..... well did ya???
                          Originally posted by mookster
                          Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                          Originally posted by CityCopDC
                          I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                          Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                          I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                          -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                            I saw the news clip...they had his doctor talk about all the other stuff he's seen aspirated...they showed the chunk of spoon too.
                            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Im not quite sure where the "3/4 of a Wendy's spoon" came from.....but I looked it up on the net and it says the spoon fragment was only 1'' long.....

I guess, knowing that its only 1'' long....its a lot easier to believe that it was eaten by someone who doenst know how to chew, or in a huge gulp of a drink....

Below are the pictures, and the captions that were associated with each picture....

In a Sept. 10 photo provided by Duke Medicine, a piece of plastic from fast food restaurant Wendy's is shown. A North Carolina man is recovering after the plastic was removed from his left lung after over a year of coughing spells, fatigue and pneumonia spells.
                              (Duke Medicine/AP Photo)

Doctors say 50-year-old John Manley should be OK now that they have removed the 1-inch piece of plastic that he sucked into his lung. The fragment of an eating utensil had rested there since Manley apparently inhaled it nearly two years ago while swallowing a soft drink at a Wendy's restaurant. Doctors at Duke University Medical Center say the foreign object was likely to blame for the coughing, fatigue and pneumonia that plagued Manley for almost two years. When they pulled it from Manley's left lung, they could still read the Wendy's logo and part of the word "hamburgers." Dr. Momen Wahidi at Duke called it "one of the weirdest things I've removed in my career."
                              (Courtesy Duke University Hospital)

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MensHea...=1&start=false
                              'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5225 users online. 292 members and 4933 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X