Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayor Newsom wants to fine stores selling soda

Mayor Wants to Fine Stores Selling Soda

Never one to shy away from controversial policies, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom has announced he wants to fine grocery and convenience stores that sell sodas and other sugary drinks.

Restaurants that sell such drinks would be exempt from the tax.
    According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Newsom said he was moved to

seek legislation permitting the fines after reading a UCLA study that linked significantly higher rates of obesity with soda consumption. California spends $41 billion each year on health-related services treating obesity, the Chronicle reported.

In an effort to combat obesity, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom wants to fine grocery stores that sell soda and other sugary drinks.

Newsom is no stranger to controversy. In 2004, he directed the city clerk to start issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The state Supreme
    Court later annulled those unions, which conflicted with state law at the time.

The mayor told the newspaper he fully expects lawsuits to be filed against the city as a result of the campaign against sodas.

"We know we'll be sued," he said. "But I really believe this is important to do."

Meanwhile, Congress continues to debate whether to place an additional tax on soda and other high-sugar drinks to help defray the costs of proposed health-care legislation.
    Last edited by Sense0Purpose1; 09-18-2009, 11:28 PM.
    sigpic

I'm the gatekeeper, are you the keymaster?

Servicing what feels like one giant Mental Hospital......... going on 3 years.

California is not doing well and this guy is just wasting time ad energy in stupid crap like taxing soda...Damn, it's too bad, San Francisco looks like a fresh city to live, but the people running the show there are nuts...

And to think this guy could be the next govornor of California...
    sigpic

Comment

just twirling around the drain it seems like.
      sigpic

I'm the gatekeeper, are you the keymaster?

Servicing what feels like one giant Mental Hospital......... going on 3 years.

Comment

Glad I live in Texas.

We don't have to worry about any health affects of what we do.

*Spits in Cup* Nope none at all...

Comment

Originally posted by ChevySSP View Post
          Glad I live in Texas.

We don't have to worry about any health affects of what we do.

*Spits in Cup* Nope none at all...

haha Especially not when the new fried food highlight at the state fair is.... fried butter.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
          and I'm not sure about the former.
          -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

after reading a UCLA study that linked significantly higher rates of obesity with soda consumption
            Really?!....
            I can't believe a mayor actually had to read a UCLA study to confirm this. Next he's going to "find out" through a Harvard article that confirms smoking can lead to cancer

fried butter.
            ..nuff said.

Futurelaw89
            Last edited by Futurelaw89; 09-19-2009, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Don't agree with what he is doing but I agree on the affects of soda.

For those who feed this poison to your kids, you should take pay attention to the studies.

Soda= obesity, plain and simple.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

should of just talked to the Cook County people in illinois. We just got taxed for our liquor, bottled water (yeah i know), carbonated drinks and cigs are up the roof.

Glad i dont smoke or drink. But damn, I need my mt dew fix here and there. Not fighting obesity. Its them cashing in on more money since they know people drink way to much of it.

hmmmmmm

Comment

San Francisco will be very amusing if you can buy marijuana and alcohol but not soda.

Come to think of it, beer is notorious for causing obesity. They should ban it, too. I am sure that the nearby vintners would support such a law.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Actually, heard the locals are trying to get the Anchor Brewery shut down..."too smelly and stuff" was what I was told...great brewery, and the local folks want it closed because its a big building where it could be neat condos to finish the gentrification of the area.

I'm all for promoting a ban on soda...but fining would imply that the people selling it are doing something wrong. Why not promote health instead of fining business.

Comment

I bet the facist asshat would crap himself if someone had the nuts to put these back on the air....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8pmdCMCk9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntrsMAlIQWA

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                        I bet the facist asshat would crap himself if someone had the nuts to put these back on the air....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8pmdCMCk9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntrsMAlIQWA
                        LOL...Are you serious!?...

At least tell me they aired these commercials late at night...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
                          LOL...Are you serious!?...

At least tell me they aired these commercials late at night...
                          Dude...I am old...but not that damn old....

I have no idea when they ran them....but the Flintstones were ran prime-time....so....I am assuming they were run during the show...

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                            Dude...I am old...but not that damn old....

I have no idea when they ran them....but the Flintstones were ran prime-time....so....I am assuming they were run during the show...
                            LMAO...My bad, you're probably a couple years older then Taylor...

Damn, that's crazy having a cartoon sell cigarettes...I remember when they started taking down cigarette ads from baseball stadiums...

These are intresting too, to say the least...

Last edited by Southflaguy; 09-20-2009, 12:31 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                              San Francisco will be very amusing if you can buy marijuana and alcohol but not soda.

Come to think of it, beer is notorious for causing obesity. They should ban it, too. I am sure that the nearby vintners would support such a law.
                              Beer causes obesity in adults not children. Soda is 100% bad for you where beer has some nutritional value. It's made from barley and all that stuff. Plus it makes you smarter. I mean, it did make Bud wiser.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3442 users online. 247 members and 3195 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X