300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 years ago

I had returned from two back to back rotations at JRTC on 09 Sep 01. I had spent the 10th cleaning gear, and filing supply requests for the things we had consumed during the trip. I finally got in my Apartment at around midnight on the 10th and slept like I was dead.

My Phone rung, It was my DO. He was babbling about being under attack, and saying I had to grab my **** and get back in to work.

I thought he was joking, and said so, and hung up and rolled over.

The phone rang again, this time he said to turn the TV on...

I flipped the tv on in time to see the second plane hit the towers.

I was 26 years old, with 9 years in the military. I was planning on seperating in December and going to school as a commercial diver in Seattle...

I had plans, My life was normal. I'd been in the military for almost a decade and never had to participate in war. I was bored, and getting out for some excitement...

When I got to work, the POTUS was on saying someone was going to pay.
    I made sure our supply requests were being filled.

A week later we went on alert, 8 out of 10 of the E-6's and E-7's in our unit were suddenly sick/injured and not deployable. They had been virtual tough guys for decades, and now that we were heading for a fight, they lost their nerve.

I jumped to the head of the line.

Someone sent a message: ETAC's were needed to train up at Ft Bragg, they did not know where they were going but they were needed.

I grabbed my stuff, and got in the truck...

8 years later, I am still in the fight, and loving every minute if it.

This day means something to all of us. Along with horor and pain, to me it was a day that gave me purpose.

What did this day give you?

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Good story and thanks for your courage and service to the country. I guess those that folded up were in it for a job. It's a shame that so many people seem to have forgotten that day and the price so many payed, some even used it as a political football.
    I like many others woke up to just how utterly despicable the Islamo-fascists are.

Comment

I was a senior in high school when it happend...The school I went to had a high population of NY/NJ transplants, a few of my friend were from the up North...I remember this girl freaking out b/c her uncle worked in one of the towers...I didn't know what happend, when I got home my brother and dad were watching the news coverage...

From that day I realized how vulnerable we are/can be...I felt that we no longer can say it happens in Isreal, in the UK, in Spain, that can never happen here in the US...Unfortunately, we have fall back to that attitude, in a way some have forgotten 9/11...Some have forgotten how evil, ruthless, and how deep they hatred is for us...

For me it opened my eyes to the world...

Thanks for your service M-11...
      Last edited by Southflaguy; 09-11-2009, 07:52 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

I remember that day, because I stayed home sick from school that day. I was flipping through channels and happened to flip to CNN News and see a building on fire in smoke, and that is what I remember that day. It was a sad day history, but somehow made our us stronger.
        "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

Whats YCFD?

I was in first grade. My dad came and picked me up from school. I knew it was always weird, because whenever my dad picks me up, it means, something bad happened, or something really cool was about to happen like going to the arcade. I came home and tried to watch Cartoon Network (keep in mind, I'm in 1st grade guys...) and I couldn't find any channel that didn't have the towers burning.

They were showing footage of it and it was something in big red and yellow words, I don't remember exactly what it said.

I was around 11 when I started listening to talk radio, I had a lot of problems in school, and when I was going back and forth between doctor appointments, looking for new schools all over the county, and going on errands with my mom. It started to hit me.. the severity of what the September 11 attacks really meant, and the mentality behind it.

Today I look back and am very glad I've got this knowledge. When I grow up I hope to be a Law Enforcement Officer and doing something with anti-terrorism efforts. Probably not military, but something at a local level. I'm extremely thankful for the men and women of the US Military, just like M-11, JTShooter, and the other members here who've served and helped protect this country.

I cannot fathom what it would be like without the true heroes like them. I'm also glad I'm able to talk to people like this, even if it's just on the private messaging thingy, it's really cool to interact with people who've made such a difference in our world, and helped us stay free from very bad things happening.

Comment

Thank you for fighting for our freedom M-11 and that was a great story of courage and opportunity that you just posted. I remember I was in fifth grade and all the fifth grade kids went into one room to watch the tv, we also saw the second plane hit and some kids starting crying and had to leave the room because they had family working in NY. I also have a 9/11 DVD that I bought a few years back so I can someday show my kids what happend on that horrible day and how it brought us together as a nation. I will never forget 9/11 and all those who lost their lives on that day and those who are losing their lives fighting this war. Even though it was almost a decade ago, I can remember it like it just happend.
            Last edited by NextGenOfc; 09-11-2009, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I think this about sums it up. They let us all go home at noon.

I was driving my car on my way to work listening to the radio thinking how in the hell am I ever going to get on base. I am a civilian employee of the US Military (AAFES). When I got there it took me two hours just to get through the front main gate. Our beloved DOJ (now DOA) Police were not taking any chances, it was Threat Condition Delta, and they were searching everybody, and I mean everybody. When I finally got to my building, the TV was on in the main break-room and saw the second plane hit, the pentagon disaster and also flight 93 in Pennsylvania. Needless to say all resemblance of work was shot for the day except for any commercial trucks that needed to be unloaded. I remember thinking what is this going to do to our guys and gals in the military and their families let alone the tragic loss of life suffered that day. Most everyone sat glued to the TVs dumbfounded. I was numb for several weeks after that. It changed my life forever and brought a new meaning to me to support our personnel serving in the military. I still cringe every time I hear that we lost yet another soldier over there in Iraq or Afghanistan.

A few weeks later, one of my co-workers got together with a friend of his who runs a t-shirt printing business. They sketched out a design in honor of those who died that day and silk screened them on. I think everyone bought one. I wore mine today. Proceeds from the sale were sent to a relief fund to help the families of the fallen.

Never Forget!
              www.ldscops.com

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres PD.
              In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres PD.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17539

Comment

I was in CT visiting my parents (1 hr from NYC). We had the news on and when the first tower fell I thought OH ****. Less than 2 minutes later my cell rang and I was told be be on high alert standby SAR. Of course they thought I was back in VA, and I said I was actually only an hour from ground zero and had Goose (dog) with me. We were one of the first non NYC dog teams on the ground.
                I will never forget any of it.
                Total hell. Worse than Katrina.

Comment

September 11th is when I made up my mind that all I want to do is be a police officer.

I was in high school. My first period class was British Literature. The topic of the day was: How safe do we feel in our society today? As in, way back in medieval Europe people were constantly on edge because they never knew when some invaders from foreign lands would come pillage their home. So how secure do we feel today (Sep. 11th 2001) that some foreign invaders won't just launch a surprise attack on us at any time? I sh*t you not, that was what we spent the class period discussing, completely oblivious while the first and second planes were flying into the towers. We had no idea. The only people who knew were the slacker students who had gotten to school late and saw it on the TV in the attendance office. Then during our passing period at around 10am (central) people were saying all sorts of crazy things in the hallway like the Sears tower had been bombed, I didn't know what to believe. At 10:30 our principal came on the intercom and described what had happened. Lots of people were crying, I just felt numb.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

Also, M-11, words typed on o.com don't really do it justice, but I thank you so much for your service to our country. That goes to all the other servicemen and women that read this board.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

Thanks for the nice words folks, but my intent was to hear your stories.

Those of us in the military do it because we love it.

I'm interested in how that day affected individuals.

Was it some kind of turning point (as for me, which is why I gave the story)

where do you see yourself today if it had not happened?

M-11
                      “All men dream...... But not equally..
                      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

I remember like it was yesterday. I was in 11th Grade English, at the end of first period, and suddenly over the loudspeaker we hear that a plane had hit one of the towers. A few of us in class thought it was going to be like what happened in the late 40's to the Empire State Building. Where some fighter pilot, small aircraft, accidently hit one of the towers. By the time 2nd period started, History Class, the teacher has the radio on and eventually we hear that a second tower was hit. Girls are crying left and right, teachers from across the hall are coming in to see what's the latest news from the radio, and students here and there are on their cell phones trying to get into contact with parents in the city. Let's just say that whole entire day was like something out of the twilight zone.
                        sigpic

I'm the gatekeeper, are you the keymaster?

Servicing what feels like one giant Mental Hospital......... going on 3 years.

Comment

I was unemployed, like now......Saw it on tha' boob tube....The planes, the towers...The person jump'in out the window, the tidal wave of smoke and debris, story's high of white dust....

Raining ashes, broken glass everywhere, people runn'in to nowhere..
                          And Atta's picture, is still in my mind....Mohamed Atta, D.O.B. 09/01/68

The Video of NY FD Firefighters running up the stairs, just like the warriors in Homers, lliad...Up to the light, then darkness. But all gaining Kleos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aboard fight 77, a 757, caring 11,000 gallons of JP4 rotated off at 8.42 local time. 93 Passengers complemented by the crew...

At 9:30 local Time Captain Jason Dahl age 43, said "get out of here".

There was a young man aboard flight 77, Mr. beamer. He worked for oracle as an accounts manager...

His last words was a question followed by a statement.... A statment of a warrior...

"Are you ready?"
                          "O.K. lets roll"......

His actions along with at least four more Americans, most likely, saved countless lives in the Peoples 5 sided building.

Six minutes later the North Tower was Fatally shaken.
                          Last edited by asullivan; 09-11-2009, 10:49 PM.
                          Originally posted by mookster
                          Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                          Originally posted by CityCopDC
                          I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                          Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                          I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                          -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Originally posted by asullivan View Post
                            I was unemployed, like now......Saw it on tha' boob tube....The planes the towers...The person jump'in out the window, the tidel wave of smoke and debris, story's high of white dust....

Raining ashes, broken glass eveywhere, people runn'in to nowhere..
                            And Atta's picture, is still in my mind....Mohamed Atta, D.O.B. 09/01/68

The Video of NYFD Firefighters running up the stairs, just like the warriors in Homers, lliad...Up to the light, then darkness. But all gaining Kleos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aboard fight 77, a 757, carring 11,000 galons of JP4 rotated off at 8.42 local time. 93 Passaangers complemented by the crew...

At 9:30 local Time Captain Jason Dahl age 43, said "get out of here".

There was a young man aboard flight 77, Mr. beamer. He worked for orical as an accounts manager...

His last words was a question followed by a statment.... A statment of a warrior...

"Are you ready?"
                            "O.K. lets roll"......

His actions along with at least four more Americans, most likely, saved countless lives in the Peoples 5 sided building.

Six minutes later the North Tower was Fatally shaken.

I thought you were a university professor ?
                            sigpic

I'm the gatekeeper, are you the keymaster?

Servicing what feels like one giant Mental Hospital......... going on 3 years.

Comment

Did they ever figure out where Flight 93 was headed? Maybe some more water boarding is in order..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6420 users online. 373 members and 6047 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X