300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Athiests celebrate Christmas?

Just wondering... Because if you do... That's very weird.
    Last edited by Hoosier_Boy; 12-24-2008, 02:56 PM. Reason: Sorry had the word hypocrite in there... Wasn't what I wanted.

My cousin who is 16 considers himself an atheist but he gladly accepts gifts on Christmas. Yeah I know!

Comment

thats funny you posted this....I asked myself that very same question today.....up at work no one knew the answer lol.
      The above posted text is my opinion and thought and in no way represents the thought or opinion of my place of work.

"We are a brotherhood, we stand together, and not alone. You got my back, and I got yours."

RIP Brothers.

Comment

Yes. Many non-christians celebrate the gift giving/santa claus version of Christmas. One of the main reasons is it is hard for children of other religions/atheists to explain how come they don't have a christmas tree or get gifts at that time of the year.

There are two completely different holidays imho, Christmas (Santa Claus, Reindeer, Presents) and the celebration of the birth of christ. Celebrate which ever or both if you wish.
        "Rollin and Patrollin the Wild Wild West of Bham"

Comment

Originally posted by NYIllini
          Well they probably are not celebrating the birth of Christ. But I’m not sure how religious you have to be to celebrate flying reindeer, elves and Santa Claus.
          Thats me...Im not celebrating the birth of christ but just a day I have always got together with family and see what santa brought us...If it were up to me it wouldnt be anything special and just another day. My family gives me alot of guilt so I have to go over and open presents

Comment

So people just made up a holiday to give each other stuff because they refuse to believe in the real reason for the day?

Comment

Christmas

...enough said
              Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier_Boy View Post
                So people just made up a holiday to give each other stuff because they refuse to believe in the real reason for the day?
                That's a religious and history argument that could take forever to hash out and no true answer would come. But I will say this.....The idea of Santa Claus has been around for hundreds of years, and although associated with the time of what is commonly accepted as the birth of christ he had nothing to do with celebrating christ's birth. So if you want to be a good christian then you wouldn't celebrate Santa Claus. Matter of fact many die hard christians don't. They feel that it takes away from the religious meaning of the holiday.
                "Rollin and Patrollin the Wild Wild West of Bham"

Comment

Yes, atheists celebrate Christmas.

I was married to one. He was a very generous and thoughtful gift-giver...to the point of nearly breaking our bank!

And St. Nick was around long before Christmas was ever celebrated. What we call Christmas actually has its roots in some very pagan traditions surrounding the winter solstice in the northern European region.
                  Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                  Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                  A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post
                    Yes, atheists celebrate Christmas.

I was married to one. He was a very generous and thoughtful gift-giver...to the point of nearly breaking our bank!

And St. Nick was around long before Christmas was ever celebrated. What we call Christmas actually has its roots in some very pagan traditions surrounding the winter solstice in the northern European region.
                    "Some roots" does not equate to the true meaning though. The true meaning of CHRISTmas, is simply the celebration of the birth of Christ, which Atheists do not believe in. Thus, I don't understand why they would celebrate an obviously religious holiday.
                    LA DEP: Obvious case of suicide.....shot twice in the back of the head with a bolt action rifle....
                    CruiserClass: I took a nap today. It was such a great nap I felt the urge to share my nap with the officer.com world. It was that good of a nap.

That's it. Go check other threads were exciting topics are being discussed, this was seriously just about a really comforting and invigorating 35 minute nap. Move along, nothing else to see here, move along.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier_Boy View Post
                      Some people don't see it that way Hoosier, Some people do it for other reasons, as others have said just for the holiday and not for religious reasons.
                      "It's not how they die, but how they live that makes them a hero."

Originally posted by George Carlin
                      You are not a loser, you are the last winner.

Comment

This time of year was celebrated long before the Catholic Church decided it was better to join them, rather then beat them, and created Christ's Mass.

By the way, the Puritans outlawed Christmas, and it remained illegal in Massachusetts until the mid-1800's.

History of Christmas

Interesting you would choose a holiday that is about goodwill towards men to sow seeds of discontent.
                        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

I'm a Christian, but to me it's just another day...I have respect for what it suppose to represent...When you're a kid Christmas ment much more, when you get older it's just another day...

I'm sure athiests just tag along, some just lay low till the holidays are over...
                          sigpic

Comment

I've never ascribed any particular religious meaning to it. Any spiritual feelings you have towards your fellow man should be 365 days a year. It's good for the retailers though.
                            Last edited by JasperST; 12-24-2008, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I just heard a story on the radio about a slowly growing celebration called Bright Light. It was created about 8 years ago by atheists, agnostics and humanists and is celebrated on December 23.

Bright Light maintains much of the cultural feel of Christmas (gift giving, joining with family and friends, good will towards men, etc.) while working to separate out the religious connection with the holiday.

I guess if you're a dyed-in-the-wool atheist, then you wouldn't celebrate Christmas. But by the same token, and as brought up by others here, some strongly principiled Christians refuse to celebrate the holiday we refer to as Christmas because it's become so non-religious. The vast majority of us, regardless of whether we're Christian or non-Christian, choose to celebrate the joy of the season without quibbling over details.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4773 users online. 243 members and 4530 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X