Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've talked about Tats what about Piercings?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • We've talked about Tats what about Piercings?

    There has been a lot of discussion about visible tattoos in law enforcement on whether it should be allowed or not or whether it looks professional yada yada yada. Well what about piercings? I am not talking about just your normal ear piercing but I mean your lip, nose, tongue, arm, those earrings that stretch out the ear?

    My views are visible tattoos and piercings (besides the normal ear piercing) are unprofessional. (BTW I do have two tats and a tongue piercing)

    What I am getting at is that if visible tattoos are allowed then so should piercings.

    What are your thoughts?
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

    "Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

  • #2
    I agree with you to an extent. I have a USMC tattoo that hangs out slightly from the bottom of my short sleave. I don't think this is a problem. I also don't think a small non-offensive tattoo that is visible should be a problem. I do think anyone that is sleaved should cover up or if they have nudity, offensive words, or indicia that would be typical of a gang member.

    As for piercings it's the same thing, simple ear piercings no problem. Leave the lips, eyes, and noses (etc) alone, and please don't invite Prince Albert to the conversation even if he's not on display.
    Today's Quote:

    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

    Comment


    • #3
      I am against the piercings. Totally unprofessional IMO. I don't even buy a hamburger from a place where the person behind the counter has a piece of shrapnel stuck in their face! (And these days that makes it hard to eat lunch anywhere! )

      As for tats...I don't have any and don't want any. But that's me. I think that it would be too horrible a sight down the road when I am older and wrinkled-er.

      If the tat is not visible or can be covered by your uniform I have no problem with others having them. If they are visible...well then there could be a problem with professionalism as perceived by the general public. If I, as John Q. Public, saw a guy or woman in uniform coming up to my car window all sleeved out or with multiple tats in view, I would wonder if they were really LEO or another of the criminals who use a uniform as a means to get to their victim like we see so much of these days.

      All in all I think it's a bad idea.
      visit my blog if you are so inclined.
      http://dwmeeks.wordpress.com
      (I'm trying to drive up the hits.)

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm with transporter on this I don't think any body piercings, besides ONE in the ears for females are going to cut mustard.

        The problem I keep seeing over and over is what mdrdep said..."I have a USMC tattoo that hangs out slightly from the bottom of my short sleave. I don't think this is a problem"
        policies are in place for a reason. Everyone thinks theirs is not the ones that should be a problem when it "hangs just below..... shows only lines of....its not offensive.
        Polices are made and enforced to everyone due to that nice "D" word. What some say should not be a problem, may be a problem to others. IF I called the cops in a time of need, and had a cop with visible tatts and lip, nose and other piercings show up I would not let them in. I see this on my clients all the time. there has to be a line drawn. As transporter said its unprofessional.

        just my .02/ and no I was not unloading on mdrdep, I have just seen that "I don't see it as a problem" so much I had to say it. If policy states non showing, that means even lines, bottoms of the (insert drawing) and even profanity, must be covered.
        ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
        Oscar Wilde

        Comment


        • #5
          Hey guys thanks for the responses thus far.
          This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

          "Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

          Comment


          • #6
            Are you talking about looking like the guy in my avatar?
            It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DACP View Post
              Are you talking about looking like the guy in my avatar?
              thats a finger not a nose ring.
              ....do you wash your hands after playing in your nose. *snickers*
              ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
              Oscar Wilde

              Comment


              • #8
                As a former LEO, my personal opinion is that, if, as a para-military organization, a police department wants to set tattoo/piercings policies according to military standards, then I'm all for that decision. I believe no percings on a male, 1 per ear on a female, and not more than 1/4 of the visible arm covered by ink is a good place to start, if only to placate the public. The reality of the matter is, tattoos are becoming mainstream, and should be treated as such. I don't quite buy the argument that visible tatoos are "unprofessional". Well, gee-whiz... I bet you folks don't care if that Marine fighting for you in Iraq/Afgan. has visible ink, do ya? So what's the difference between that Marine, and the police officer fighting a war in your own neighborhood? I'll tell you what the difference is - You might actually have to interact with that police officer, and you'd feel better if he looked like YOU.

                I think we owe it to our men and women in uniform to think a little more about the fact that the officer you see as "unprofessional" risks his/her life daily to keep you safe, and would take a bullet for you without being asked to, or thanked.

                Folks, the military and police ranks were filled by ordinary citizens. They weren't hatched from a rock. They're representative of ALL of our society. So, I think it's a leeeetle picky to think they should be held to some sort of magical standard based on what YOU would be comfortable with.

                Besides, if you're that concerned with calling 911 and having a cop with ink and piercings show up, perhaps next time you need help you should call a crackhead.

                Rant end... IMHO, I don't care if the cop has both nipples his cheek pierced and spikes coming out of his scalp, as long as he knows his sh*t and can put shots on target.
                "...I'm gonna' ride that one-legged pony to baloney town..."

                "I just assume most people are half-retarded, and it's my job to remind 'em."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 1two9 View Post
                  As a former LEO, my personal opinion is that, if, as a para-military organization, a police department wants to set tattoo/piercings policies according to military standards, then I'm all for that decision. I believe no percings on a male, 1 per ear on a female, and not more than 1/4 of the visible arm covered by ink is a good place to start, if only to placate the public. The reality of the matter is, tattoos are becoming mainstream, and should be treated as such. I don't quite buy the argument that visible tatoos are "unprofessional". Well, gee-whiz... I bet you folks don't care if that Marine fighting for you in Iraq/Afgan. has visible ink, do ya? So what's the difference between that Marine, and the police officer fighting a war in your own neighborhood? I'll tell you what the difference is - You might actually have to interact with that police officer, and you'd feel better if he looked like YOU.

                  I think we owe it to our men and women in uniform to think a little more about the fact that the officer you see as "unprofessional" risks his/her life daily to keep you safe, and would take a bullet for you without being asked to, or thanked.

                  Folks, the military and police ranks were filled by ordinary citizens. They weren't hatched from a rock. They're representative of ALL of our society. So, I think it's a leeeetle picky to think they should be held to some sort of magical standard based on what YOU would be comfortable with.

                  Besides, if you're that concerned with calling 911 and having a cop with ink and piercings show up, perhaps next time you need help you should call a crackhead.

                  Rant end... IMHO, I don't care if the cop has both nipples his cheek pierced and spikes coming out of his scalp, as long as he knows his sh*t and can put shots on target.
                  AMEN I agree totally. You know these days everyone is getting INKED it is just the way of expressing yourself these days and a lot of people are getting pierced. now as for the facial piercings I dont think it is a good Idea for a officer to have any of these more along the lines of a saftey issue now a tongue ok no big deal as long as they arent sitting there showing it off advertising or anything like that. But other facial piercings well these could get ripped out or off and could cause you damage. I know a lot of cops who have visible tattoos on theirs arms does this make them a bad cop or a bad person HELL NO it doesn't does this give make them more scary HELL NO it doesn't. I learned a long time ago do not judge someone by the ink on their arms or the holes in their face but by the words the say.
                  Lawdog TCSO
                  In God We Trust all Others we Check NCIC
                  well daisy if you do

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lawdog30 View Post
                    I learned a long time ago do not judge someone by the ink on their arms or the holes in their face but by the words the say.
                    +1...also agree with facial piercings being an officer safety issue.

                    I do think that if you're considering going into law enforcement, get your ink where you can easily cover it, though...and never on your hands, neck, or face no matter what profession you're in (unless you're making your living off of it, like the lizard guy). Departments have widely varying policies on visible tattoos, and who knows who you'll end up working for.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
                      I'm with transporter on this I don't think any body piercings, besides ONE in the ears for females are going to cut mustard.

                      The problem I keep seeing over and over is what mdrdep said..."I have a USMC tattoo that hangs out slightly from the bottom of my short sleave. I don't think this is a problem"
                      policies are in place for a reason. Everyone thinks theirs is not the ones that should be a problem when it "hangs just below..... shows only lines of....its not offensive.
                      Polices are made and enforced to everyone due to that nice "D" word. What some say should not be a problem, may be a problem to others. IF I called the cops in a time of need, and had a cop with visible tatts and lip, nose and other piercings show up I would not let them in. I see this on my clients all the time. there has to be a line drawn. As transporter said its unprofessional.

                      just my .02/ and no I was not unloading on mdrdep, I have just seen that "I don't see it as a problem" so much I had to say it. If policy states non showing, that means even lines, bottoms of the (insert drawing) and even profanity, must be covered.

                      didn't think you were unloading on me at all, in fact you bring up a good point. Where would we draw the line. Subjective tests especially the larger an agency gets would cause all sorts of calls of favoritism and what not.

                      I think the one problem I have is when agencies enact these policies without fore thought. I was a Marine before I was a deputy. I brought my ink to the job. In some of my short sleeve shirts it dosen't even show unless I stretch my arms out. I've never been called out on it because it is barely noticable most of the time. My dept. didn't even enact a "no visible tattoos" policy until a couple of years ago. Should something like this have been "grandfathered" in? My dept. didn't think so but at the same time I have never been given grief over it.

                      Another deputy I work with is completly sleeved. Technically our policy is if your doing dept. business they must be covered. He does wear long sleeve shirts when dealing with the public. But if he is going to be locked up in the office all day he will not cover the tat's.

                      This may be a common sense application of the rule but it's subjective and some day somebody may get a burr up their butt about it.
                      Today's Quote:

                      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                      Albert Einstein

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well, I'm certainly an oddball then. In my early college days, I could redirect a compass if it was within 15 feet of me. I had my left ear pierced twice, once in the lobe and one in the cartilage. I had my right ear pierced once. I had my right eyebrow pierced, and I had my lower lip pierced. I enjoyed them all when I had them... but when I got into the academy, I parted ways with my metal.

                        The only piercing you can still tell I had was my eyebrow, I have two small marks. I can still put things in it though... that's fun to do when people least expect it. "Hey! Watch me pierce my own eyebrow!" *poke* The looks I get when I do it are priceless.

                        Oh... yeah... unprofessional for working in LE, IMO.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 1two9 View Post
                          As a former LEO, my personal opinion is that, if, as a para-military organization, a police department wants to set tattoo/piercings policies according to military standards, then I'm all for that decision. I believe no percings on a male, 1 per ear on a female, and not more than 1/4 of the visible arm covered by ink is a good place to start, if only to placate the public. The reality of the matter is, tattoos are becoming mainstream, and should be treated as such. I don't quite buy the argument that visible tatoos are "unprofessional". Well, gee-whiz... I bet you folks don't care if that Marine fighting for you in Iraq/Afgan. has visible ink, do ya? So what's the difference between that Marine, and the police officer fighting a war in your own neighborhood? I'll tell you what the difference is - You might actually have to interact with that police officer, and you'd feel better if he looked like YOU.

                          I think we owe it to our men and women in uniform to think a little more about the fact that the officer you see as "unprofessional" risks his/her life daily to keep you safe, and would take a bullet for you without being asked to, or thanked.

                          Folks, the military and police ranks were filled by ordinary citizens. They weren't hatched from a rock. They're representative of ALL of our society. So, I think it's a leeeetle picky to think they should be held to some sort of magical standard based on what YOU would be comfortable with.

                          Besides, if you're that concerned with calling 911 and having a cop with ink and piercings show up, perhaps next time you need help you should call a crackhead.

                          Rant end... IMHO, I don't care if the cop has both nipples his cheek pierced and spikes coming out of his scalp, as long as he knows his sh*t and can put shots on target.
                          I agree. Piercings dont bother me in the least. Why someone wouldnt shop or eat where the workers have piercings just baffles me. Tattoos dont bother me either.

                          WTS, i understand why police departments have regulations - especially with piercings for safety's sake. You can let them close up, that's the thing. OR - with some - you can NOT wear a stud or ring in them while working, and you'll be ok - meaning they wont close up that quickly. Others you might have to worry.

                          I think people should be able to express themselves the way they want to with their own body, but they do need to think about upcoming careers they may want to get into. Again i say - piercings can heal... tatts are more or less there... unless you wanna pay big money to get them removed.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            When I was 18, I got my navel pierced. I kept it until about 4 months ago. It ran its course, the novelty of it was over, and I decided to remove it. I still have a hole in my belly button, and it will probably always be there. I went back to the piercing parlor once a few years ago to buy a new ring, and there was this guy in there with HUGE spacers in his ears. He took them out while I was there, and this HORRIBLE stench overtook the room. it was absolutely disgusting. I was probably green in the face, and all the people in the shop were laughing about it, spraying air freshener, etc. Ugh....Ever since that day, whenever I see people with large spacers in their ears working in the kitchens at food establishments, it totally grosses me out.

                            I do think facial piercings can be a safety issue for officers. Even regular earrings could be dangerous, if someone grabbed it, or it got caught on something in a tussle.

                            I have an officer friend who has over 17 piercings on her body. All the way up the ears on both sides, navel, the back of her neck is pierced twice, the skin above her collar-bones is pierced on each side of her neck, and her hip is also pierced. I believe she also has a piercing in between her cleavage. Apparently she is comfortable with this, but it would seem that having that many piercings would just make you more vulnerable if something got hung up on one of the barbells or something. Eek, it gives me chills just thinking about it. She probably takes most of the ear piercings out when she's on duty, but I've never seen her in uniform, so I don't know.

                            I've got my ears pierced just once, and I'm okay with it. When I become an LEO, I doubt I'll even wear earrings when working.
                            Last edited by Presence; 09-22-2008, 01:13 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Our dept= no tats visible. Visible piercings removed.

                              Very unprofessional...and IMHO disgusting.
                              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5923 users online. 348 members and 5575 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X