300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's to see in New York and Washington DC

Thinking about doing a trip to these two cities.

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for things to see and do (I realise there will be a lot)

I am particularly interested in any Police/Military museums

Thanks
    It was a bright, cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.

Theres the White House, Pentagon, Vietnam Memorial, WWII Memorial, WWI Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery if you do illegal things you can find out a few new things about the local police. umm.... not sure about police stuff, but there are some REALLY cool military things in the area.

Ask CityCopDC

http://www.washingtondc.com/attractions/

There's so much to do that's just to look at that's well.. free. It's pretty nice.

Oh there's this really cool Air and Space museum thats worth the drive from D.C. to check out.

There's the Women in Military Service for America Memorial

http://www.womensmemorial.org/

That's all I saw on really the first page of google, but there's gotta be A LOT more.

Comment

There is the NYC Police Musuem in Manhattan. Displays a lot of the weapons and uniforms of former police officers. Has a couple of the old police cars, and you can play with the police lights. Also, has a couple of motocycles as well. Worth the stop in my opinion.

Comment

CityCopDC is always up for showing people the nice area that is Dupont Circle...I'm sure he'd help you out

If you want a tour of the US Capitol I think I read somewhere that I could prolly hook you up so PM me if you coming
        Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Dupont Circle is an interesting place.

If you go to D.C., do NOT forget to go to Ben's Chili Bowl.

You have been told.

Also, you'll like Georgetown, that's the night life part of D.C. That's where The Exorcist stairs are too.

For D.C., you should wait until at least late October to go. Fall in that area is unbelievable.
          Last edited by Eclipse27; 09-21-2008, 09:39 AM.
          When talking to a fool, be sure he isn't doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Eclipse27 View Post
            Dupont Circle is an interesting place.

You have been told.

Also, you'll like Georgetown, that's the night life part of D.C. That's where The Exorcist stairs are too.

For D.C., you should wait until at least late October to go. Fall in that area is unbelievable.
            I have lived around here all my life & just found out about Ben's Chili Bowl - yummy!

If you can wait til Halloween & you enjoy a crazy club scene, then go to Adams Morgan -- been there twice in costume -- everyone is dressed in costume, so much fun....but, I'm getting older now so 2 times is enough for me....

Doing the drive from the Air & Space museum is worth it, plus there's the IMAX theatre, but I doubt you'd want to sit on your fanny while visiting the area....PM if you want more info....

Also, if you have a significant other you're bringing, then definitely take her/him to the wetlands in Alexandria -- especially during the fall -- very nice very romantic....Around the Oct./Nov. time Alexandria also does Ghost Tours http://www.alexcolonialtours.com/ ........ afterwards, you can hang out @ some of the little bars/pubs/restaurants & walk along the Potomac riverfront http://dc.about.com/cs/sightseeing/a/oldtown.htm

And of course, while in DC itself (I think right in DC itself) is the ESPN Zone - so much fun! & You could try & catch an event @ the MCI center if they have anything.....The pic of me & my friend was taken @ Rosa Mexicano & absolutely delicious food - pricey but well worth it!

wow....I think I just convinced myself to go out soon....

Comment

Originally posted by Eclipse27 View Post

You have been told.
              That is the truth, so you have been warned twice. Ben's is in the 1200 block of U st nw. 7th street NW 400-800 block is a very congested strip that attempts to resemble New York. Several sporting goods stores, nice restauraunts, bowling alley and a huge movie theatre. A few blocks from there 400 block of E st NW is the national law enforcement memorial.

If you head south from the memorial, past police headquarters to independence ave sw, you will come across the smithsonian museums. Air & Space/American Indian/African Art are all within walking distance. As mentioned before, the price of admission is free and the museums are open every day except xmas.

If you want a dose of reality from a museum? U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Its just south of independence ave sw prior to going across the 14th st bridge into virginia.

Another neat museum is the National Museum of Crime and Punishment. It is also on 7th st nw on the strip. Alot of apparel, videos and interactive activities such as safe cracking and computer hacking.

Tourmobile provides tours also. You will see places of interest and landmarks in the district and go over to virginia to see the arlington national cemetery. Also the national mall, lincoln memorial, monument and jefferson memorial should be on that list of places the tourmobile frequents also.

Another place of interest may be Union Station. Near the US Capitol.

And last but not least the U.S. Capitol. Be warned. Chiller always tries to blackmail people into taking the US Capitol tour and to contact him via pm. When you contact him, he will attempt to get sensitive information from you. Once he gets this, you meet him at the capitol in a very very dark room. It gets hazy after that but all I remember is heavy breathing and skittles...

P.S. The night life is insane if you like to party.
              Last edited by CityCopDC; 09-21-2008, 12:31 PM.

Comment

For DC, contact your Congresssman AND Senator's local offices, advise them when you will be in DC, and request tour passes. They will likely load you up.

You can get VIP passes from them for the Capitol, White House, FBI headquarters, and several other places.

We went to a training conference a few years ago, and had more passes than we had time to use. We arrived for our White House tour early one morning, showed our passes to the security guys, and they let us in ahead of a block long line of people who were also there for the tour.

Like others have said, the Smithsonian, Arlington, the US Mint (pallets and pallets of newly printed $20 bills all over the place - sorry, they don't give any free samples - but very interesting to watch your money being printed), the Holocaust Museum, Law Enforcement Memorial, all the Presidential monuments, the various military memorials, and way more.

Strongly consider using the Metrorail subway system to get around, rather than trying to drive all over DC. It's reasonably priced and will get you within a couple of blocks of wherever you want to go.

You can spend a week in DC, and not see everything there is to see. I'd really like to go back someday just to see what I didn't have time for last trip.

Enjoy it. It's worth the trip, especially if you're interested in our history.

"Yes sir, I know you have rights."
                "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
                  If you want a dose of reality from a museum? U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Its just south of independence ave sw prior to going across the 14th st bridge into virginia.
                  ....just make sure you bring a box of tissues....it's pretty intense, especially if you had family involved in it in any way, shape, or form....

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
                    And last but not least the U.S. Capitol. Be warned. Chiller always tries to blackmail people into taking the US Capitol tour and to contact him via pm. When you contact him, he will attempt to get sensitive information from you. Once he gets this, you meet him at the capitol in a very very dark room. It gets hazy after that but all I remember is heavy breathing and skittles...

God damn u telling my secrets.....

PS...City LOVES the red skittles
                    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Oh one more suggestion. Since my parents love Italian food, they always look for new places. My dad had to go to Virginia a few times for business trips and he found this REALLY good Italian place. It's called Filomena. I've never been but my parents have and they brought their friends who lived in the area. I had to stay home with the 4 year olds and the baby sitter the grandma's are in the window making the pasta. It's REALLY expensive I don't know about your budget, but the stuff they brought home was REALLY good.

leave it to me to be suggesting food items lol.

Comment

One last tad about D.C.-don't forget to leave the city at least once.

I recommend you head down into Fairfax County, VA, and take a hike through the woods right up to the Potomac.

You'll also be surprised at how close together all this stuff is.
                        When talking to a fool, be sure he isn't doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiller View Post
                          CityCopDC is always up for showing people the nice area that is Dupont Circle...I'm sure he'd help you out
                          hahahaha, oh no.

Comment

Originally posted by cajunguy
                            We arrived for our White House tour early one morning, showed our passes to the security guys, and they let us in ahead of a block long line of people who were also there for the tour.
                            Those were U.S. Secret Service Uniformed Division officers, not "security guys"...

Comment

Originally posted by BD380 View Post
                              Those were U.S. Secret Service Uniformed Division officers, not "security guys"...
                              BD, White House is all Secret Service for security, correct?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4714 users online. 260 members and 4454 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X