300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parvo

We had a couple of pups that were abandoned a couple of weeks ago. The other day, Freckles died of Parvo. Now, Blackie has it.

I'm trying to treat it at home. No, we can not afford thousands of dollars for a vet to just give IV fluids and antibiotics only to have an 80% mortality rate. We are doing enemas, subcutaneous injections of sterile water, antibiotics and oral syringes of honey water.

If we can keep him hydrated and prevent secondary infection, he stands the same chance as if he were at a vet. Actually better because he is in familiar surroundings with people he knows.

Anyway, any other suggestions? I am not ready to bury another dog.
    http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

I would not do the honey water, just because there is the chance of botulism spores.

Gerbers lamb and rice baby food along with baby rice cereal are great for puppies to, and it's mild and easy to digest.

Wash all your hard surfaces with a bleach solution, and all the bedding in hot water/liquid lysol. Parvo can remain behind, and pups can get re-infected, so you need to dis-infect everything, and since it lives in dirt, keep the pup inside and away from other dogs until he's old enough for the vaccine.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Why not go to TSC and spend $4 on the shots for puppies?
      Your mom...

Comment

TSC is closed right now and the shot does not help once the disease is already rampant in the system. If anything, it would make things worse. It's a live virus vaccine.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You will have to treat the yard when it's all said and done. I lost a puppy to it in 01. I found out there that it lives in the ground for years.
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Do you know what to use that is safe for children, dogs, cats, goats, chickens, turkeys, and rabbits? (We ate the guinea.)

Comment

Thousands of dollars for an IV? I dont know what kind of vet you are going to, but my father is a vet and it does not cost thousands to treat. If it can be caught early enough, and and IV can be started to hydrate the pup, then there is a chance they will live. Parvo kills because the puppy cannot keep down any liquids, basically they die of dehydration. But it's a small chance. Parvo is just nasty.

You do have to clean EVERYTHING that pup touches. Parvo is spread through contact with infected substances, such as vomit or feces.
              "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by ChevyPower View Post
                Thousands of dollars for an IV? I dont know what kind of vet you are going to, but my father is a vet and it does not cost thousands to treat. If it can be caught early enough, and and IV can be started to hydrate the pup, then there is a chance they will live. Parvo kills because the puppy cannot keep down any liquids, basically they die of dehydration. But it's a small chance. Parvo is just nasty.

You do have to clean EVERYTHING that pup touches. Parvo is spread through contact with infected substances, such as vomit or feces.
                IVs, antibiotics, overnight stay, isolation, all multiplied by how ever many days and it adds up.

He is looking a bit better today. We put him in the bathroom to sleep on towels last night and kept water in there. And since Bethany and Hannah kept us up most of the night, we were able to check on him frequently.

This morning, there was urine on the floor and it looked healthy. We're going to continue with the antibiotics, but it looks like (as long as he continues to improve) we can stop the enemas and sub-q injections.

Comment

Why are you giving antibiotics?

You might want to give him a little yoghurt between the antibiotics, since parvo causes diarrhea, you want to replenish the good flora in his gut.
                  Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5497 users online. 282 members and 5215 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X