Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for those in the line of a hurricane.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A question for those in the line of a hurricane.

    I read today that some people in Texas are holding out...

    WHY?! GET THE FARK OUTTA TOWN!

    I live in Indiana we have tornadoes here... If someone came to my door and said "In THREE days, this tornado is going to come through this property and whoop @ss..."

    I'd leave.

    I'm not sure why people hang around... Please explain it to me...

    I understand SOME people cannot afford to leave... But most of the people could leave if they wanted to... I don't get it.

  • #2
    Amen....

    But it seems to me that a lot of tornadoes do more damage than tropical storms. Around here, youll hear about a tornado going through a neighborhood and its completely wiped out. Tropical storms do some damage, but they dont flatten entire states. Plus I guess a lot of people are just used to it... They probably have a nice stock of OSB and other materials to "batten down the hatches" even.
    "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

    Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
    Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
    Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

    R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Sharp View Post
      Amen....

      But it seems to me that a lot of tornadoes do more damage than tropical storms. Around here, youll hear about a tornado going through a neighborhood and its completely wiped out. Tropical storms do some damage, but they dont flatten entire states. Plus I guess a lot of people are just used to it... They probably have a nice stock of OSB and other materials to "batten down the hatches" even.
      Im sorry but what happened to Louisiana a few years ago did a huricane not come in and prtty much flatten large areas. Hurricanes come in and do all kinds of damage they have their own tornado's and lots of rain and high winds I would rather face a tornado in Oklahoma that a Hurricane on any coast.
      Lawdog TCSO
      In God We Trust all Others we Check NCIC
      well daisy if you do

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lawdog30 View Post
        Im sorry but what happened to Louisiana a few years ago did a huricane not come in and prtty much flatten large areas. Hurricanes come in and do all kinds of damage they have their own tornado's and lots of rain and high winds I would rather face a tornado in Oklahoma that a Hurricane on any coast.
        Not me, I pick my battles, and if I was TOLD PRIOR TO IT MAKING LANDFALL that it was going to be bad... I wouldn't hang around...


        Tornadoes can strike at the drop of a hat... And people are harmed with no notice...

        Bring on the canes for me... The guys on the weather channel can't really screw up says "In three days this will PROBABLY happen."

        In Indiana it's Tornado Warnings / Watch. They don't know where or when. There is just a CHANCE.

        Comment


        • #5
          I am not in any evacuation zone.
          I am on the second floor of my apartment building (the top floor)
          not everyone feels the need to get out. IF I was told to leave three questions must be answered before I leave:
          (A) will I be able to keep my animals with me? I have 3 INSIDE, declawed, cats. Safety is a big issue here. I also have a small dog.
          (B) Is there food at the shelter, along with showers and toilets? Believe it or not there was a shelter that had no food. they told the news thaey were waiting on a truck to get them some.
          (C) how long does the shelter last? If I'm, being told to leave due to damage, how long am I gonna be out of my house?


          Just because YOU would leave doesn't mean every one thinks and acts as you do.
          ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
          Oscar Wilde

          Comment


          • #6
            That's exactly why I posted the original question.

            And I understand some people have simply no place to go.

            I am very fortunate to have friends/family placed damn near every where.

            And of course I wouldn't leave my 4 dogs, anywhere. The boys are coming with me... They are mans true best friend and they wouldn't leave me behind. So why would I leave them...

            Good post Texaschickee

            Comment


            • #7
              Depending on how bad the storm is predicted to be, and whether it is making direct impact in my area would determine whether I would leave.

              I've never evacuated my town, but I think it has a lot to do with where you are living.

              For instance, if I was living in a known flood plain or something, I would probably go stay with my parents or a hotel somewhere to ride out the storm.

              Years ago when Hurricane Andrew came through, we just hunkered down at my parents house with plenty of supplies, and hung out in the bathroom (safest in the house because there aren't any windows). I was a young kid then, and it was sort of a scary adventure watching the trees blow around outside, etc. I don't remember much of it, but we didn't leave town because of it.

              But definitely, if I were considering a shelter, my pets would be the first factor coming into play. Food would be secondary. I would likely go north and stay with family or friends if it came down to it, rather than a shelter somewhere.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Hoosier_Boy View Post
                That's exactly why I posted the original question.

                And I understand some people have simply no place to go.

                I am very fortunate to have friends/family placed damn near every where.

                And of course I wouldn't leave my 4 dogs, anywhere. The boys are coming with me... They are mans true best friend and they wouldn't leave me behind. So why would I leave them...

                Good post Texaschickeee
                TYVM
                (and I fixed it for ya! )
                ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                Oscar Wilde

                Comment


                • #9
                  It really depends on the strength of the storm. Anything below a Cat 3 most people shrug off. There probably will be some damage, true; such as a tree falling, windows breaking, Tornado spawning, but the main danger comes from lack of power. It can be several days, even weeks, before power can be turned back on, especially if the storm is a bad one.

                  Cat 1: tropical storm with a little wind
                  Cat 2: An annoying storm with more wind
                  Cat 3: Starting to get dangerous
                  Cat 4: A very angry and dangerous storm
                  Cat 5: Time to get the hell out of dodge!


                  You MUST have enough food and water to last at least 2 weeks. Even a tropical storm, like Fay was, can take out the power in an area for several days. Getting several cans of gas, and having a generator that can power at least part of your home functions is a good idea as well.

                  Now if you live on the coast, you need to leave. Especially if there is a storm surge like they are saying Ike is bringing. Pack up, board up, and pray.


                  But there are stubbornly stupid people. They will stay, and not leave even for the most powerful storm. If a class 5 was bearing down on us, we would leave: That simple. We live less then 15-20 miles from the coast, and the surge would be up past our house. It would just be too dangerous. You can rebuild the house, but not your life.

                  But people wait till the last minute. When Fay came through and flooded EVERYTHING people waited till the water was about in their houses to call about sandbags. By then it was too late.

                  So the people staying are either; smartly prepared, or stubbornly stupid.

                  But to tell the truth, I would MUCH rather live where I know that a storm is coming, and leave, then have a twister come down in the middle of the night and have no time to do anything. That scares the crap out of me!
                  "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've gone through my share of hurricanes

                    Evacuation is necessary if you live near the coast. What happened with Katrina in N. Orleans is that the levees broke. That's not typical of a hurricane strike.

                    The only hurricane that I would consider leaving for is a Cat 5, but I would have to come back to work right after the storm winds died down anyway. Hurricane shutters/plywood works wonders and I would ride out any other storm without thought.

                    A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

                    It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      HURRICAN ANDREW!!!

                      That's the only storm we evacuated from, firefighters told my dad it was best to leave...We didn't live close to Homestead (the city got it the worst)...We lived close to the beach though (10-15 minutes)...I don't know some people feel safer at home...We've been so lucky here in Florida...

                      Andrew:


                      Last edited by Southflaguy; 09-12-2008, 12:02 PM.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ChevyPower View Post
                        It really depends on the strength of the storm. Anything below a Cat 3 most people shrug off. There probably will be some damage, true; such as a tree falling, windows breaking, Tornado spawning, but the main danger comes from lack of power. It can be several days, even weeks, before power can be turned back on, especially if the storm is a bad one.

                        Cat 1: tropical storm with a little wind
                        Cat 2: An annoying storm with more wind
                        Cat 3: Starting to get dangerous
                        Cat 4: A very angry and dangerous storm
                        Cat 5: Time to get the hell out of dodge!


                        You MUST have enough food and water to last at least 2 weeks. Even a tropical storm, like Fay was, can take out the power in an area for several days. Getting several cans of gas, and having a generator that can power at least part of your home functions is a good idea as well.

                        Now if you live on the coast, you need to leave. Especially if there is a storm surge like they are saying Ike is bringing. Pack up, board up, and pray.


                        But there are stubbornly stupid people. They will stay, and not leave even for the most powerful storm. If a class 5 was bearing down on us, we would leave: That simple. We live less then 15-20 miles from the coast, and the surge would be up past our house. It would just be too dangerous. You can rebuild the house, but not your life.

                        But people wait till the last minute. When Fay came through and flooded EVERYTHING people waited till the water was about in their houses to call about sandbags. By then it was too late.

                        So the people staying are either; smartly prepared, or stubbornly stupid.

                        But to tell the truth, I would MUCH rather live where I know that a storm is coming, and leave, then have a twister come down in the middle of the night and have no time to do anything. That scares the crap out of me!
                        Wow, that's about the same way I see things. We left for Hugo, and were spared any real damage. I am not checking out until a 3.
                        Quote of the week: "I was going how fast? And that's a school zone?"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The worst ones are the people who won't leave Galveston. The entire island was annihilated in 1900 by a hurricane. The people were warned about "certain death" for staying, but they did it anyway. So who knows what's going to become of them.
                          When talking to a fool, be sure he isn't doing the same.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have never been in a "cane but I HAVE been in Tornados. To tell ya the truth I'd rather have sunshine and 75 degrees as either one of 'em. That being said, I would have been gone from the coast the day after they said it was "probably" going to take the path it has taken. Why tempt fate? I have no death wish. More importantly, I have a 3 and an 8 year old and a wife to think about. No disrespect or other intended here, but the dogs and cats can come along if there is room in the car. I am getting the family out ASAP!

                            As a side note: Anyone want to wager on the odds any offers of help come in from La. or anywhere else? I'm predicting we here in Texas are on our own on this one. I truly hope I am waaaaay off on this, but it's what I figure to happen. If I am wrong I'll be the first to admit it and apologize.
                            visit my blog if you are so inclined.
                            http://dwmeeks.wordpress.com
                            (I'm trying to drive up the hits.)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well, up here in North Texas (Dallas) the storm is just rolling in. Got some winds and light rain for now, supposed to get worse.

                              Frankly, I love storms, so bring it on!
                              When talking to a fool, be sure he isn't doing the same.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4619 users online. 282 members and 4337 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X