300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-11 and Children

I posted something in the 9-11 Anniversary thread and I'm just going to c&p here. Honestly, I don't know how to go about explaining 9-11 to them.

I've been thinking about this a lot. I usually have my children help me bake cookies for the local volunteer fire department. But I want to do more. I just don't know what.

Charlie is getting to be old enough that I can start to tell him about that day (not going into gory detail) but Bethany and Hannah are still very young. Hannah would not understand in the least and Bethany could end up with nightmares.

One reason I am concerned about how much to share is a couple of years ago, we were watching a show Mega Structures and it was on skyscrapers. Well, they included the Twin Towers and they included the scenes of the attacks and collapse.

Charlie was terrified and would come in screaming and crying every time an airplane flew overhead. That was what he saw on that TV show. He had no clue what it was about. He just knew what he saw without any real understanding with that. It took a long time for him to get over his fear of airplanes.

I don't want to trigger that again or start that with Bethany. But I also want them to know what happened that day in a way that they would understand. Explain it at their level.

Tell them that there is a reason we bake cookies for the fire department when it is not Christmas. (They and the police get cookies at Christmas as well.) That something happened on this day. (Not just the fact that I found out I was pregnant with Charlie that same day.) I just don't know how to do it. I don't want to scare them, but I don't want them to not know either.

Maybe I'm over thinking this. I don't know.

Any ideas?
    http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

The same way my Grandfather explained Pearl Harbor to me. There are people in this world that don't like what we have here. They will try to destroy it any way they can. They attack us, and we fight back. Freedom is not free, and must be paid for in blood. It's the way of the world. Anyone that thinks we can ever co-exist in peace and harmony with our fellow man, has a screw loose. As long as there are "haves" and "have nots" in this world, there will be war, and strife. There are many documentary shows on the attacks. I would rent one, play it for junior, and explain that the people that did those acts hate everything we stand for. They would kill a stadium full of women and children, and not blink an eye. Teach your children the reality of evil, and 9-11 is a good example. It doesn't have to be complicated, or scare the hell out of them. Teach it as a "matter of fact." Just explain why they did, what they did. We have few real allies in this world, and fewer every day. More and more people hate us, and as the world's energy supply dwindles, watch... The list will grow, and grow. Good luck, just my .02c
    Last edited by grog18b; 09-10-2008, 10:11 PM.
    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

http://www.guzer.com/animations/miss_daddy.php

Little flash animation vid of a little girl remembering her dad on 9-11.
      Makes me bawl every year
      I got nothing for now

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3605 users online. 193 members and 3412 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X