300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Ladies

Alrighty, bear with me here as I lay out my tomboyish ignorance on the table. I am looking into building my professional business attire and need some ideas. We're required to have a few business outfits that:is Suitable for court, skirts below the knee.

I did a little moseying around yesterday, and to be honest with you What I saw was either Gramdma Hildie church wear, or the colors seemed a bit bright or loud for court attire.(I saw a nice darker grey suit set with a pretty plum undershirt, but thought the plum would be too loud. Don't want the DI jumping on me for non-professional attire) What are some no-no's in dressing for court? Colors,or am I limited to the bruise colors?

And don't get me started on hair, my hairstyling products consist of hair-ties, brush and an old beat up Cabella's ballcap :P

Ok stop laughing now and gimme some advice, I am freaking clueless
    "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group
    for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." --Drew Carey

Personally I like the boring colors. They're professional.

I can't give much advice on women's clothing, but if in doubt: go with the Grandma Hildie stuff. You aren't really there to look cool; as long as you look professional and respectable your clothes won't matter.

And don't wear the Cabela's cap

Comment

I love Kasper suits - you can find them at finer department stores (Macy's, Dillard's, Marshall Field's, etc). And oddly enough, when I googled it, people seem to be selling them on craigslist...go figure. Anyway, they're very well made, and very professional.

I'd stick with neutrals colors for the suit, but see nothing wrong with a splash of color for the blouse/shirt. Stay away from anything really bright (red, bright orange, lime green, etc) and go for more muted tones, or neutrals. You could even get a couple of shirts in a nice pinstripe...just nothing too loud or busy. A bunch of my shirts came from Ann Taylor, but I haven't shopped there in some time...not sure what they've got these days.

If in doubt with your hair, a bun usually looks professional, and is quick and easy; I leave my hair wet to style it into a bun, so it also saves time. PM me if you need instructions. I've done french braids as well, or front/sides pulled up in a barette.

I hate shopping, so I don't envy you! Good luck

Comment

You should tape and watch "What not to Wear" with Stacy and Clinton .... you'll find it on The Learning Channel. Many of the subjects sound just like your post reads, they turn their nose up at "Gramdma Hildie church wear", etc. The changes made are often fantastic. Who knows, maybe you can get a spot on it yourself.

Ummmmmm ... understand please ... I don't watch it much ... my wife has it on frequently while I'm home and it's unavoidable.
        "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post
          You should tape and watch "What not to Wear" with Stacy and Clinton .... you'll find it on The Learning Channel. Many of the subjects sound just like your post reads, they turn their nose up at "Gramdma Hildie church wear", etc. The changes made are often fantastic. Who knows, maybe you can get a spot on it yourself.
          That show is GREAT. Very real-life friendly. I wish i could get a spot on there, but i no longer work so i'm sure they dont want me lol. I know nothing about "dress clothes," i dont wear dresses or skirts, or even have many dress pants. My dress pants are boot-cut cords. I have no suits.

So - i cant give advice here, but i will be reading it

Comment

Ummmmmm ... understand please ... I don't watch it much ... my wife has it on frequently while I'm home and it's unavoidable.
            ORRRRRRR....... you could just watch it on the TLC website at your leisure if you have a high-speed internet connection.

Comment

!!!
              I love worthington and Jill and Christy that is found in JC Penney.
              quality suits both with pant and skirt.
              Get a black or navy suit and something like a cream, white or "light colored" blouse. Remember that you will wear this one or two days, so it will last. I have had 5 suits from them and most are still here and I wear them.

Just a thought, I have a teal suit that I wear with a cream blouse. Its not a trendy style but a very classy suit. I always get complaints, its a great color (for me) and its not the normal thing people see.

hair- blow dry, pin up or banana clip.
              I also did pony tails before I cut it off.
              ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
              Oscar Wilde

Comment

Suuuure, what you said...you just happen to know the hosts on a first name basis...

My only advice is go with the simple colors already mentioned...blues, grays, blacks...red blouse isn't necessarily bad, it's kind of like a man wearing a red tie. Obviously, go conservative with cuts and lengths. Don't try to one-up anyone else in the courtroom, and get something you're comfy in.

(Sorry, I missed the "For the Ladies" part...I'm not a lady, but I know and work with quite a few, and I'm married to one...)
                Last edited by fishAK; 09-10-2008, 12:08 AM. Reason: Not a lady
                "All that is, ever
                Ever was, will be, ever
                Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

The suit itself should be any of the grays, black or navy. They all come in pinstripe versions. You can do the skirts, or the pants with either. Stay away from light colors, as they show dirt. A summer weight wool is a good, all-seasons choice.

With the shirt/blouse, go for colors that compliment your complexion. Think of your blouse like it's a man's tie...a chance to express your personality. Just stick to solids vs prints.

You also want a really good pair of pumps to match the suit.

Since this is really just about having a "court" outfit, I would look for a good quality 3 piece suit (jacket/skirt/pants) as an investment. Then, spend the extra to have it tailored for you. A good suit will stay in fashion for years, and can be re-tailored as needs demand. Your variety will be in the blouses/sweaters/tops that you accessorize with.
                  Last edited by willowdared; 09-10-2008, 10:03 PM.
                  Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

One thing you might want to do is go to your local court houses, and see what people wear for "professional" there.

You will (normally) want to get a jurry's attention instead of being just another droning voice, so, if "suitable" to local propriety, try something like a pleat or two in the skirt, and a slight ruffle at the sleave, or a clean-line seam that is a bit more decorative. Again depending on what's worn locally, a bit of color will usually be a good idea, but keep something more subdued for trials that are, by nature, more somber.

When shopping, wear comfortable underwear, and try to buy a suit that fits around it. If you aren't one of those women who can put on a pair of pantyhoes and voila!, they're the same shape as you are, and especially if they tend to twist on you, go with knee highs, or for a more elegent feel, thigh highs. (Pantyhoes come with a cotton crotch, and nothing is required underneath, but you may then feel more comfortable with something opaque-topped.) For added comfort of modesty, or if you have larger thighs that tend to rub together, a cullotte slip or ladies' bloomers can be a nice addition. 1 (selling out, but reduced -and comfortable!) 2 (clippable to two shorter lengths) 3 (find more from here) Also for thigh rub: biking shorts or a similar-effect undergarment can be a nice choice, and I've read about some sort or gel, probably similar in concept to surgical lubricant, that is suposed to last a while and work very well. I'm sorry I couldn't find the site for you, but I do remember that someone had posted about it in a forum for larger women. I find colored stockings more professional looking, especially with most of your darker clothing, although I always wear natural myself. Keep in mind, the way you feel can effect your posture and your presentation.

Try to find a comfortable pair of pumps, but if you can't find that, just get some anyways; side with something that's too flat and hard to walk in, over something that pinches, and change into a more comfortable walking shoe afterwords. 1 2

As far as hair, I normally don't do much with mine, but something pulled up normally looks professional, and I would recommend just a touch of fancy to keep from looking boring: french braid, mutely decorated clip, maybe a well-groomed lock or curl sticking out -no more than two of the three. Remember, you want a bunch of already bored jurrors to pay attention to you (in most cases, but a lawyer will direct you, if you're just there to bore them in prep for something, or if the next witness really needs to be noticed).

Last edited by pvtbuddie; 09-10-2008, 04:47 AM.
                    lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.

Comment

hmm

I dont know if theres a nordstrom rack around where you live...but you cant go wrong with their clothes and prices. They have all the great suits and separates you find at the regular Nordstrom but every things almost half off.

I think a little color isnt bad on a top...
                      with a skirt that fits right below the knee.

I dont know about you but I hate grandma style clothes..they just make you look frumpy.

Comment

If you have a Berlington Coat Factory around you..thats a good store and JC Penny!

Who says a woman can't shoot? How do I protect my home without my Rifles, Shotguns and Pistols??

Comment

thread useless without pics
                          Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

I know here in Arizona, the Plum shirt would not be too bright. Go for a charcoal grey, black and maybe a brown suit, then dress it up with the blouses. If you know the courtroom will likely be hot, try a shell instead of a longsleeve blouse. This will still look professional, but you won't be dripping sweat by the end. Even if you can't or don't want to spend the money for a suit at one of the major department stores, I would recommend shopping at them. The clerks will help you find styles that work for you, and colors etc, then buy at least a nice shirt from them. (They do get commissions) and look for a similiar suit where you can afford it. Also, if you know any gay men, take them shopping with you. (Joking) But seriousely find a friend or co-worker that dresses nicely, and ask them to go shopping with you. As for the hair, buns are always professional and easy to do. Even just pulling the hair back will be more professional. If you are tall or big you may want to avoid black, it can be intimidating, although that may be a plus in certain situations. For shoes, go with something with a 1" heel or less. Trust me on the heels, nothing is more humiliating then falling off your shoe while trying to get to the stand to testify. Check if there is a local accounting society, or a chapter of Beta Alpha Psi, (Accountants have much the same dress code as required by court, and they often do presentations on dressing professionally.)

Good luck.
                            "This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper." -- TS Eliot the Hollow Men

Comment

Well, I bought 2 suits today. A nice black one and a really nice charcoal gray one at JCPenny. Also a nice white dress shirt, a black silky one and a pair of shoes for like $188.00. I'll be ordering more from them online.
                              Now, I can only hope that the shoes I picked will be good for a little PT. Better leave the hacksaw in the truck just in case.
                              "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group
                              for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." --Drew Carey

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3455 users online. 175 members and 3280 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X