Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Contractor

deleted----
    Last edited by cbr600_kitty; 10-16-2008, 10:45 PM.
    'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

I feel your pain. Do you wanna hear MY story?? You may not want to lol...

My contractor started a "10 week job" in March of 2007. He has close to $70,000 of my money (3/4 - he received payments as they went along with the work, according to the contract we had). He was recommended by friends who he had done work for, and has been working in this county for 20 years.

Dont expect to see them every day, let alone every WEEK. Or every MONTH. He actually went almost one YEAR without working here.

I have complained to the BBB, Consumer Hotline, and State Attorney General - who referred it to the local Prosecutor. He called him May 23. The guy came back to work the following week... worked on and off for 3 weeks, and has not been back since. NEVER anweres my calls.

The Prosecutor told me now to report him to the State Police. Well, i really dont know if he'll be arrested, and all i want is the WORK DONE. My house is torn apart. I had an addition built, and the inside of it was never even finished.

As for suing, i am going to see a lawyer next week, but i do not have the money to sue, and i'm **** sure that the contractor does not have the money i've given him!

My plan also is to call the local news investigative team, and to have them at least call the guy. You have a human interest story for sure. I also am retired now due to disability (knee osteoarthritis) and on fixed income, so there has to be some help out there somewhere for us.

I am at my wit's end. Remember, this guy started work March 2-0-0-7!!!

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Jellybean400; 09-08-2008, 02:49 PM.

Comment

A/c

Let me also add that i paid for Central Air in May of 2007.

This is now my second summer without it - after paying.

His name is John Berkauzer, from Pittsgrove Twp. NJ. That way if anyone ever searches for him, maybe they'll find this post.

Comment

I ran into a similar problem with having my roof replaced. The contractor was a nice guy. He gave me a sob story about him having some medical problems with his kids and really needing the money for the materials. I bought it hook line and sinker and cut him a check for all of the materials for the job. He started on my roof... I didn’t see the guy again for two years! It is amazing how unmotivated a contractor can be when they get paid before completing the work.

I ultimately had to file a law suit for $45,000 against the guy. The portion of the roof he did complete was not sealed correctly against the old roof. I came home during a bad storm and found 3” of water on the floor. I ended having to completely remodel two bedrooms...

What is sad is I had to learn a lesson I should have known before... NEVER pay a contractor before the job is complete.

In this situation I don’t know if you should be quite ready to hire a lawyer. I think you should tell him that him what your expectations are of him. If he is unwilling to listen to his boss (you). Then tell him you want the money back for the uncompleted portion of the job and hire a new contractor.

If that doesn’t work... Contact an attorney. It will also look better in a lawsuit if you address the performance issue before you fire him.
        ****I am NOT a LEO, I am NOT a Lawyer, and I am NOT a Defendant****

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Comment

You state may have a regulatory agency for contractors. In California it's called the Contractors License Board. If you have a similar agency, file a complaint with them.

Originally posted by cbr600_kitty View Post
          I gave him a check and he got started. He has 75% of the money.
          That's the problem right there. You NEVER pay a contractor up front. Once you do, you no longer have any control over him or the job.

You should never pay more than 10% or $1,000 down, whichever is less. In addition, you write out a contract breaking up the work and setting up progress payments. Once 10% of the work is done, (lets say wiring), another 10% is paid. Then when another 10% is done (let's say the stairs are put in) another 10% is paid. You keep this up until the project is done. You also require releases from all of his employees, proving that the contractor has paid them during this period before you pay him. (If he doesn't pay them, they can sue you for their money.)

Before you hire him, you also have him provide you with a copy of his contractor's license (to show he is competent), his worker's comp insurance (so his employee's don't sue you is they get hurt fixing your house), his liability insurance (in case he burns your house down while he is working) and his bond (so if he walks out on the job in the middle of things and leave you hanging, you can go to his bonding company and have them pay for any extra costs you incur from having to hire a new contractor to finish the work).
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

deleted----
            Last edited by cbr600_kitty; 10-16-2008, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Who could have guess for a $5000 lower bid you would actually get lower level of service.

I would say now you call the highest bidder and see what he can get it done for in 2 days.

Comment

deleted----
                Last edited by cbr600_kitty; 10-16-2008, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cbr600_kitty View Post
                  This guy's contract has until the 15th, and if he doesn’t get the work done by the 15th I will be sending a demand letter. If that goes unanswered within 4 days or so, I will be contacting an attorney, the Attorney General's, news stations and whomever else I need to. This is becoming unbearable. Some days they show up at 7 and get me out of bed, other days they don’t even show up and leave me waiting.
                  Believe ME, i understand about unbearable.

I have no end-date on my contract, that's a real problem for me. I didnt know that i should've had one.

I DID know about having the monies broken up into different payments, but when you're having alot of work done, after the guy gets 3 payments - he still has alot of your money, with still alot of work left to be done! But for what i owe him, someone else could not finish for that amount of money.

Everything that he's finished is done very well, and i cannot afford to have anyone else finish.

I hope that your work gets done. Please update this thread so i can know how you make out... thanks.

Comment

deleted----
                    Last edited by cbr600_kitty; 10-16-2008, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I hired a retired contractor in 1982 to do a major 2nd story addition to my home. the cost was about 50k. He refused any money up front and said put the money in the bank, collect interest on it and when I'm done pay in full the 50k. That man did much more work than requested, he painted my entire house, inside and out, Put up a brand new patio, put in new lights in rooms all at his own expense. He was there every day and always cleaned up his mess of the day.

When he was done My wife and I were so grateful for all the extra work he did for nothing, we paid for him and his wife to go on a 2 week cruise to Hawaii.

Its too bad that all contractors don't have the ethics that this wonderful man had.
                      Retired LASD

Comment

I told you... just supply me with a full name and last known address (or just a phone number) and I will have your money back to you, with interest, in 24 hours...
                        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

deleted----

Comment

deleted----

Comment

Wondering what ever happened in your situation?

I have an appt. with a lawyer tomorrow. I'm hoping all it will take is a letter from him to the contractor to get him back to work. Let's HOPE...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3371 users online. 160 members and 3211 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X