• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geocaching

anyone here geocache?
    what's your favorite find location?
    most difficult?
    favorite treasure?
    stay safe and always remember to look up!!

"You've been talking to yourself in the mirror again haven't you ?

chat room

Geocaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little value. Today, well over 800,000 geocaches are registered on various websites devoted to the pastime. Geocaches are currently placed in over 100 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica.[1]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching

Well, now that I know what it is....No.

I think a friend of mine did it once with her grandparents, and she thought it was fun, but its not my thing, even though I like being outdoors.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

Comment

I've been known to do it once in awhile, though I'm not nearly an enthusiast like so many other people are.

There literally a couple-hundred caches within a 50-mile radius of where I live. I don't have a "favorite" or a "most difficult" cache. For me, it's all about the personal challenge and keeping my skills sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by ChevyPower View Post
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching

Well, now that I know what it is....No.

I think a friend of mine did it once with her grandparents, and she thought it was fun, but its not my thing, even though I like being outdoors.
        You know I was going to post a link about what it was, but then I thought it would look silly to all those who do it....

chat room

Comment

Originally posted by hxd View Post
          I've been known to do it once in awhile, though I'm not nearly an enthusiast like so many other people are.

There literally a couple-hundred caches within a 50-mile radius of where I live. I don't have a "favorite" or a "most difficult" cache. For me, it's all about the personal challenge and keeping my skills sharp.

You should try "mystery" caches...you have to solve a puzzle to get the codes.
          My uncle who was a codebreaker in the army I think (YEARS ago) was working on one called Pineapple Express I think...

I mostly like them because it's something my whole family can do, I have a 1 1/2 year old and a 5 year old. My hubby sets up easier finds for the family and we head out for a nice hike.
          One time though it was kind of funny because I had to rescue the boys. My hubby didn't realize how difficult the climb was going up, they couldn't go back and the way around, forward like, was walking on a rather dangerous highway, lots of blind corners and almost no shoulder.....not really a good place to take an active 5 year old.

chat room

Comment

I would like to try it.
            When talking to a fool, be sure he isn't doing the same.

Comment

If anyone is ever in the Ouray, Colorado area and have access to a jeep or a nice small 4 wheel drive vehicle there are lots of pretty awesome caches in the surrounding san juan mountains at all the old mining camps.

Comment

oooh, I think the old mining towns would be fun to explore!

Eclipse27, here is the official geocaching site,http://www.geocaching.com/

chat room

Comment

always wanted to try it
                  "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

We took our cub scouts out to do it one time. It was fun, but I haven't really had the time to do it again.

Comment

funny little sidenote, more than a few caches have been blown up by bomb squads because of when people are looking for them or hiding them, they end up looking suspicious and so the law is called....... whoops!

chat room

Comment

I've been a geocacher since 2003. I'm pretty family oriented so it's a perfect pasttime to enjoy with the wife and/or kids. I've recently gotten a fellow officer into it so we occasionally head out for a couple hours on a day off and enjoy some nature and good conversation.

Comment

I geocache under "Team LPD".
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Isla_ View Post
                            funny little sidenote, more than a few caches have been blown up by bomb squads because of when people are looking for them or hiding them, they end up looking suspicious and so the law is called....... whoops!
                            I know a lot of parks have problems with these also. People put them in unsafe places (dangling on ropes off of a cliff was one that we found). Weve had many people get lost. They for some reason tend to forget that just because they are holding a little flat screen and it says to go straight, that there actually might be a mountain or valley they have to cross. Weve had to do several search and rescues because of them.
                            I think its cool it gets people outside and not veging in front of a tv but the caches do cause problems. We've had to have several removed. Weve even talked to the man who set up the geocache sight. He uses a fake name because of the property issues that have come up. lol.

-Nap

Comment

No, but I noticed a car parked in a closed and dark park one night. As I approached, all I could see was an open ammo can on the ground and something silver inside. Needless to say I scared the ever living hell outta the guy in his car with his puzzle pieces and listening to a cd.

After I inspected the can and found that it contained instructions, batteries and a portable cd player, he explained the whole geocaching thing.
                              Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4200 users online. 246 members and 3954 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X