300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a medical question

I am a week shy of 6 months pregnate. My mid-wife (army mid-wife/dr.s) gave me oxycodine(perc) for back pain. Said I can take 2 a night...... AHHHHHHH I thought that was a BAD drug?

Does any one know how much it could harm the baby or fetus which ever one you perfer????

Who says a woman can't shoot? How do I protect my home without my Rifles, Shotguns and Pistols??

Let me find my Medications and Mother's Milk book. It covers every kind of drug for pregnancy and breastfeeding.
    http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
      Let me find my Medications and Mother's Milk book. It covers every kind of drug for pregnancy and breastfeeding.
      ok that will be alot of help thanks!

Who says a woman can't shoot? How do I protect my home without my Rifles, Shotguns and Pistols??

Comment

Pregnancy Risk: Category B

Adult Concerns: Drowsiness, sedation, nausea, vomiting, constipation.

Drug Interactions: Cigarette smoking increases the effect of codeines. Increased toxicity/sedation when used with CNS depressants, phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants, other opiates, guanabenz, MAO inhibitors, neuromuscular blockers.

Definition Category B:
        Either animal reproductive studies have not demonstrated a fetal risk but there are no controlled studies in pregnant women or animal-reproductive studies have shown no adverse effect (other than a decrease in fertility) that was not confirmed in controlled studies in women in the first trimester (and there is no evidence of a risk in later trimesters.)

2004 Medications and Mother's Milk eleventh edition Dr. Thomas W. Hale, PhD.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

so is it ok to take 2 as needed for pain every 4-6 hours.

Comment

This is an issue that MUST be discussed with an OB/GYN and/or family physician sooner rather than later.

I can speak ONLY in general terms, and NOT to your specific case.

There are a couple of potential issues to consider:

(1) Addiction to the medication by the unborn child. Oxycodone IS an opiate. It IS a narcotic. And it IS addictive. Any long-term regular use of the medication, no matter how little, has the potential to result in the child being born addicted to the medication.

(2) Regular narcotic use (legal or otherwise) tends to stunt the grown of the respiratory system during the development of the unborn child. Survival of children born with respiratory issues is "iffy" at best.

Oxycodone has been classified by the US FDA as Pregnancy Category C drug, which must bear the warning: "Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks."

Comment

http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articl...ing-pregnancy/
              supports Ms. hopples no study statements.

**Vicodin

Generic Name: acetaminophen and hydrocodone (a SEET a MIN oh fen and hye droe KOE done)
              Brand Names: Anexsia, Dolorex Forte, Hycet, Liquicet, Lorcet, Maxidone, Norco, Polygesic, Stagesic, Vicodin, Xodol, Zydone
              What is Vicodin?

Feedback for Vicodin
              User Comments Avg User Rating
              11 Comments
              8.2 Rate it!

Vicodin is a tablet containing a combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone. Hydrocodone is in a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers.

Acetaminophen is a less potent pain reliever that increases the effects of hydrocodone.

Vicodin is used to relieve moderate to severe pain.

Vicodin may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
              Important information about Vicodin

If you are prescribed Vicodin tell your doctor if you drink more than three alcoholic beverages per day or if you have ever had alcoholic liver disease (cirrhosis). You may not be able to take medication that contains acetaminophen.
              Hydrocodone may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it. Vicodin can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.

Tell your doctor if the medicine seems to stop working as well in relieving your pain.
              Before taking Vicodin
              Do not use Vicodin if you are allergic to acetaminophen (Tylenol) or hydrocodone. Hydrocodone may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Vicodin should never be given to another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.

Before using Vicodin, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:

asthma, COPD, sleep apnea, or other breathing disorders;
              * liver or kidney disease;

a history of head injury or brain tumor;

low blood pressure;

a stomach or intestinal disorder;

underactive thyroid;

Addison's disease or other adrenal gland disorder;

curvature of the spine;

mental illness; or

a history of drug or alcohol addiction.

Tell your doctor if you drink more than three alcoholic beverages per day or if you have ever had alcoholic liver disease (cirrhosis). You may not be able to take medication that contains acetaminophen.
              FDA pregnancy category C. Vicodin may be harmful to an unborn baby, and could cause breathing problems or addiction/withdrawal symptoms in a newborn. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. Vicodin can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

http://www.drugs.com/vicodin.html
              I'm with hxd- talk to your doctor,
              this is the INTERNET, your gonna get support statements before you get the truth.
              ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
              Oscar Wilde

Comment

I agree with the others that you need to talk it over with your physician.

I take 7.5/500 mg Perc for my back pain 4xday because the Vicodin I had (to which I did not become addicted, btw) could not touch the pain. However, there are days I don't need that much so I don't take it, which indicates to me I'm not addicted.

However, I'm not pregnant (unless there's a star in the East).

You didn't say how intense the back pain is. There are a number of non-pharmaceutical ways to deal with back pain, including massage and physical therapy (which would have to be adapted to your pregnancy).

Chances are you doc will ask you to weigh the pain you are experiencing against the risk. If you are unable to sleep at night because of the pain, your exhaustion from sleep deprivation could also hurt the baby.

Is the back pain from the pregnancy or some other source? If it's from the pregnancy a Physical Therapist can probably help you out. I'm in PT right now for my spinal stenosis and it is definitely helping -- most of it is oriented toward strengthening my back. Your pregnancy also would exacerbate any other back pain issues you may have.

Did your midwife just prescribe without talking with you about alternatives to medication?
                Last edited by rubyrose; 09-07-2008, 09:20 PM.
                Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Good point about the pregnancy causing the pain. There are some simple yoga moves to help stretch the back and move the baby.

One is called cat/cow and the other is child's pose.

Comment

Someone wrote a prescription for them... didnt that have to be a physician?

Comment

I don't know what any of this is. mid-wife (army mid-wife/dr.s)

My baby desirved a medical doctor who did nothing but babies.

I would talk with one of those about the drug, then most likely reccomend to my wife that she just rode the pain out rather than take any drug chance with a baby.

Comment

A midwife can be just as good and sometimes better than a medical doctor. My daughter as a lay midwife taught her OB/GYN husband a thing or two and he transformed his practice as a result.

However, this midwife should be discussing the drug with you in depth. She shouldn't just hand you an prescription and say take it. No good doc or midwife does that.
                        A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

A certified midwife can prescribe most medications, same as a certified nurse practitioner and a certified physician's assistant.

Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
                          Someone wrote a prescription for them... didnt that have to be a physician?

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post
                            A certified midwife can prescribe most medications, same as a certified nurse practitioner and a certified physician's assistant.
                            OK, well her first line she wrote said "army midwife/drs." - i guess i'm confused.

Comment

Hi Mom,

I agree with hxd completely, and with all the other prior posters, too.

You don't have to be an embyrologist to know you don't want your kid to be born a dope addict.

Opiates and opioids cross the placenta, and will cause the developing infant to adjust its neural system growth in accomodation of the presence of opioids. It will not develop as much endorphin-enkaphalin production capability, and will increase its opioid processing capability, and that will happen at the expense of the correct production of other neural and somatic systems. Its brain and its bodily nervous systems will be less correctly developed, it will be less able to handle pain, it will be more susceptible to future narcotic addiction, the efferent and afferent nervous system connections to muscle fibers will be less complete and correct, and there will be a greater risk of other prenatally-induced developmental disorders.

Maybe you could go get some Vorwerk capsicum pepper pads, and have your midwife find you a massage therapist instead of giving you narcotics, and learn and try some exercises you can do to alleviate back pain during pregnancy.

When you see your kid thriving, you can then smile to yourself about the pain you're having to deal with now. God bless you and yours, and may your baby be born healthy and have a great life.

Regards,

Monty

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5294 users online. 263 members and 5031 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X