300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calls that bother you

granted i am not in LEO (yet) but i have seen my fair share of horrible things being a volunteer fire fighter. nothing has ever really bothered me but lately with my recent decision to get my EMT one call in particular i can not get off my mind.

it happened over 3 years ago now. i was the only volunteer on at the time along with an engineer and a firefighter. it was a pretty slow day and we were playing halo. we get called out to a difficulty breathing. i had been on many calls at this point and was thinking oh great another difficulty breathing call. we get to the house and this lady is hysterically. she points us to a bed room and we see a guy unconscious in a wheel chair. it just so happened to be a friend that i went to high school with. he had CP and was 20 or 21 at the time.

we check his pulse and get nothing. take him out of the wheel chair and start doing CPR (my first time in the field). his chest was kind of deformed as was his airway. we did out best all the way to the hospital but he ended up being declared dead. now that i think about it when we first approached him in the wheelchair, his shorts were "wet" so he was already dead at that point.

it bothered me for a bit, but i moved on. these past couple of days i can not stop thinking about it and keep replaying every step in my mind. its not that i can't handle it or that its driving me crazy its just that i can't get it off my mind.

i try and talk to my husband about it but he doesn't understand. just thought if i put it up here i would feel better. i know you LEO's have seen much worse things then this incident, as have i, but i guess this was personal so it makes it worse.

so have any of you had this problem? how do you try and get it off your mind?
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Calls

Check your PMs.

Comment

checked and greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
        nothing bothers me. the only thing that bothers me MAYBE would be my family. and since all my family lives in New York (and 1 brother in N.C.) it doesnt bother me. Dead babies/dead crack heads/people screaming cuz they dieing. ehhh. whats that war movie? full metal jacket... i think.. where at the end he goes "well better him than me" thats how i live.
        well i guess nothing bothering you can be a plus. what bothered me about this call was that it was a friend. i have seen fatal T/Cs and all that but this one hit close to home being someone i knew.

Comment

nothing bothers me. the only thing that bothers me MAYBE would be my family. and since all my family lives in New York (and 1 brother in N.C.) it doesnt bother me. Dead babies/dead crack heads/people screaming cuz they dieing. ehhh. whats that war movie? full metal jacket... i think.. where at the end he goes "well better him than me" thats how i live.
          I have a hard time accepting the fact that you are a police officer--if you even are.

You write like a 6th grade drop-out, and the things that you say are downright shocking.

Comment

Originally posted by FireCop86 View Post
            well i guess nothing bothering you can be a plus. what bothered me about this call was that it was a friend. i have seen fatal T/Cs and all that but this one hit close to home being someone i knew.
            This is why as a doctor your not to pratice with family memebers. Yes its cause you knew him. Something had to trigger the memery of this call if you, moved forward since and now its bugging you.

I can't tell you what to do, but I can sugest that you debrief with someone that understands (unlike the huibby) and go from there.
            ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
            Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
              This is why as a doctor your not to pratice with family memebers. Yes its cause you knew him. Something had to trigger the memery of this call if you, moved forward since and now its bugging you.

I can't tell you what to do, but I can sugest that you debrief with someone that understands (unlike the huibby) and go from there.
              i think what triggered it is that i was trying to think back about what i was able to experience on medical aids and that is just one that came back to me. i have been able to stop thinking about it so much. honestly this is the first time i thought about it all day. i know it will not affect my job but it will always stick with me. anyways i want to thank you all for your support and the PMs it has really helped me out. don't get my wrong my husband has always been there for me but what i really needed to do was to talk to someone who understands and have been there too you know. thank god i found this forum thanks again guys

Comment

The HOT chicks that are always calling me on my telephone.. 24-7, Night and day, they never stop................Always wanting to come over and party....
                Originally posted by mookster
                Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                Originally posted by CityCopDC
                I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Originally posted by futurencLEO View Post
                  I have a hard time accepting the fact that you are a police officer--if you even are.

You write like a 6th grade drop-out, and the things that you say are downright shocking.
                  +1

Comment

Have you ever seen the ending of full metal jacket, I just watched it again, there was no "At least it was him and not me." I'm more worried you haven't seen the end of FMJ and not about your police credentials.

Comment

well sorry that i dont type in perfect ghramor and such for the online world. and sorry that my views offend you people.
                      There is no need to apologize. Your views are your views. They are formed by the experiences we've had in life. I certainly don't find your views offensive. Believe it or not, your views are not all that uncommon. As for spelling and grammar? Meh... it is what it is. At least you make an attempt. That's more than can be said for many others.

maybe i should sit in my car and CRY over every little call i get. or maybe i can just be a man, and do my job and go home at the end of the day.
                      Nobody said you should. Frankly, if that happened, I'd be just as concerned as I would be if "nothing" bothered you.

maybe when you attach your emotions to your job, thats when **** will hit the fan.
                      And maybe when you remove all emotion from the job, that's when you turn into a robot.

It shouldn't be all about writing tickets and making arrests. It should be about making a difference and doing the right thing. Sometimes all you have to do is lend a sympathetic ear. How can you do that if you detach yourself completely? Anybody who's on the job long enough will encounter something that gets "under their armor" and strikes a chord.

Comment

Originally posted by hxd View Post
                        And maybe when you remove all emotion from the job, that's when you turn into a robot.

It shouldn't be all about writing tickets and making arrests. It should be about making a difference and doing the right thing. Sometimes all you have to do is lend a sympathetic ear. How can you do that if you detach yourself completely? Anybody who's on the job long enough will encounter something that gets "under their armor" and strikes a chord.
                        I 110% agree with your point.

Originally posted by futuredeputy420
                        By the way.... "Hooked on Phonic's"..... look it up... or any other programs that will help you spell....
                        By the way.. it's "HOOKED ON PHONICS" ....look it up.. or any other programs that will help you spell. AHAHA..too funny.

Comment

Any calls that involve the abuse of children really P i s s me off...

Comment

so today
                            . (driver is a middle age black male, passenger middle age black female).

so i get on the speaker and tell him to drive, he does, and i light him up, and he pulls into a parkin glot. i approach him with another unit,

and i had my gun drawn and told him to see some hands.

so i suppose all you people who think im "not a cop" would just walked up all bashfull to this car and been like, oh hey buddy whatsup? high 5! can i see your lisence.
                            hmmm...Assuming it's daylight since you said today....
                            Around here most stolen cars are occupied by black male/males not with females

He stopped...around here most stolen vehicles only stop after stop sticks are deployed and the tires are shredded

why draw your gun if you have no threat, he looked at you, he pulled ahead, he pulled over...so far he is cooperating...I am assuming he "showed some hands" another reason not to fully draw your weapon.

If you felt it was dangerous enough to draw your weapon why not stay back at your vehicle and call the driver out....around here that is what you do if you think you have a stolen vehicle.
                            A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by ray8285 View Post
                              hmmm...Assuming it's daylight since you said today....
                              Around here most stolen cars are occupied by black male/males not with females

He stopped...around here most stolen vehicles only stop after stop sticks are deployed and the tires are shredded

why draw your gun if you have no threat, he looked at you, he pulled ahead, he pulled over...so far he is cooperating...I am assuming he "showed some hands" another reason not to fully draw your weapon.

If you felt it was dangerous enough to draw your weapon why not stay back at your vehicle and call the driver out....around here that is what you do if you think you have a stolen vehicle.
                              True, if I drew my gun on every traffic stop I made on a vehicle without plates, sweet fancy moses!

Plus, if you are gonna draw your gun and call the guy back, I'd think a call for another unit would be prudent.
                              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6724 users online. 347 members and 6377 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X